Lights and Sirens

Fayette firefighter cadets sworn-in April 2

The Fayette County Commission chambers were filled with coworkers, colleagues, friends and family April 2 for the graduation and swearing-in of the Fayette County Fire & Emergency Services (FES) cadet class of 2010.

The graduating class included Jared R. Babb, Philip E. Harris, Matthew J. Lanza, Matthew K. Noel and Richard C. Ryckeley. Also graduating with the Fayette group were Brian Porterfield and Chris Rogers from the Hapeville Fire Department. Read More»

PTC girl’s Fla. drowning a ‘tragic accident’

Wheelchair-bound victim found in grandparents’ backyard pool

A Peachtree City girl died Saturday after she and her wheelchair were found submerged in the pool at her grandparents’ home in Ft. Walton Beach, Fla., officials said.

Alexis Holly Butler, 10, was found in the pool by her 13-year-old sister shortly after 2 p.m., Read More»

Heavy fire damage reported at home near Lake Horton

County responded to 2 more structure fires Sunday

It took firefighters just over four hours to bring a raging fire under control Read More»

PTC’s Civil Air Patrol squadron trains in simulated air crash rescue near Brooks

A Blackhawk helicopter from the Ga. Army National Guard participates in a joint exercise with the Peachtree City-Falcon Field CAP squadron and the Fayette County EMS involving a simulated airplane crash and rescue near Brooks. Photo/Special.

Local unit joins forces with Fayette County EMS and Army National Guard

Civil Air Patrol's Peachtree City-Falcon Field Composite Squadron, along with West Georgia and Columbus Composite squadrons, recently joined forces with Fayette County EMS and the Georgia Army National Guard Read More»

Fines for false alarms in PTC?

Officers spend equivalent of 4 hours a day answering burglary alarms; only 3 in a year turned out to be real

Peachtree City may soon be considering an ordinance aimed at reducing the amount of false burglar alarm calls.

Last year officers spent 1,511 hours dealing with false burglar alarm calls, Police Chief H.C. “Skip” Clark told the City Council at its retreat Friday. Read More»

PTC Council to revisit fire dept. request for mandatory sprinklers

A proposal to require fire sprinklers in all new single family residences may soon be considered again by the Peachtree City Council. Read More»

Inmate hangs self in Fayette jail

An inmate at the Fayette County Jail apparently hanged himself with a bed sheet while in his cell March 10. Riverdale resident Rodney Scott Tutton had been in jail since Feb. 19 on a charge of probation violation.

Sheriff’s spokesperson Brent Rowan said the 35 year-old Tutton was found unresponsive inside his cell with a sheet tied around his neck. The sheet was tied to the top bunk, Rowan said. Though he shared the cell with another inmate, Rowan said Tutton was alone in the cell when the incident occurred. Read More»

Commander honored as PTC Firefighter of the Year

Rotary Club of Peachtree City president, Doc Jaleel, congratulates the 2009 Fire Fighter of the Year recipient, Battalion Commander David Williamson at the Fire Fighters annual awards banquet held Jan. 30. Photo/Special.

David Williamson, Battalion Commander for the Peachtree City Fire Department was selected by his peers as the 2009 Firefighter of the Year.

Williamson is described as a self motivated, enthusiastic and attention to detail type of person who has been instrumental in many aspects of  recent department improvements. He is sensitive to the needs of volunteers, career members and the community, as well as coordinating and integrating those needs. Read More»

Flooded bridge in south Coweta

The Coweta County Road Department at 3:45 p.m. Wednseday announced that HInes Road in the southeast portion of the county has been barricaded due to creek waters over the bridge. Hines Road connects Cecil Hunter Road and Hwy. 54. The Road Department will continue to monitor the situation. Drivers should avoid the area and use alternate routes.

Heat lamp played role in PTC house fire

A house fire that gutted a home on Gelding Garth in Peachtree City last week is being blamed on a heating lamp.

Fire officials said Thursday that the heating lamp was used by the family on the back porch of 100 Gelding Garth to help keep their dog warm. The Feb. 26 fire destroyed the back porch area and also cut significantly into the house.

No one was hurt as about 20 firefighters responded to the scene to battle the blaze. The fire was reported by a neighbor and by the time the first fire crew arrived flames were visible from the rear of the home.

Recent Comments