Lights and Sirens

Newnan Police need help with hit and run case

Newnan Police Department are still investigating the Feb. 4 hit-and-run on Newnan Crossing Bypass that claimed the life of 30-year-old Curtis Rodriguez Mitchell of Newnan.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation has determined that Mitchell had “injuries consistent with that of being hit by a vehicle,” according to Chief Douglas L. “Buster” Meadows of the Newnan Police Department. Read More»

Cop Reports 2/24/10

The following arrests were reported by local law enforcement agencies for the past week. All persons are considered innocent until proven guilty:

Fayette County Sheriff’s Office
Tuesday, Feb. 16 - Monday, Feb. 22
Omeshia Shantee Alford, 39, of Belmont Park, Newnan, for probation violation.
Raven Symone Anderson, 19, of Rosewood Circle, Jonesboro, for illegal dumping of biomed waste, hazmat materials.
Virgin Eustrtonel Chandler, 28, of Saddle Ridge Way, Fayetteville, for probation violation. Read More»

Firefighters rescue 3 dogs trapped in house

Peachtree City firefighters rescued three dogs from a house fire that occurred early Monday morning during a heavy electrical storm.

The fire at 301 Robinson Rd. was reported via 911 at 4:38 a.m., said Assistant Fire Chief Joe O’Conor. When firefighters arrived, there was smoke and fire showing from the home’s crawlspace and smoke coming from the attic also, he said.

The family had already evacuated the home but the dogs were trapped upstairs, O’Conor said. The first fire crew to enter the house was able to bring the pets to safety, he confirmed. Read More»

Two arrested for entering autos

Peachtree City police arrested two suspects Tuesday afternoon in connection with three entering auto cases.

The suspects were caught thanks to a witness description of the getaway vehicle as it left the Mellow Mushroom restaurant, police said. The suspects were apprehended at the Chick-fil-A in the Kedron Village shopping center, police said.

The suspects are also believed to have entered autos earlier in the day at in the parking lots of the Smokey Bones restaurant and World Gym, police said. Read More»

Peachtree City's finest ...and free-est

New Peachtree City reserve police officers Phil Jones (L) and Eric Semon were sworn in Thursday night. Photo/John Munford.

Peachtree City’s police force has two new cops on the street at a deep discount. Read More»

Body of East Coweta man found in lake

A search of the area near a residence on Kensington Drive off Reese Road in east Coweta over the weekend revealed the body of 36 year-old David Brightwell in a lake behind the home.

Coweta Assistant Fire Chief Todd Moore said his department was called by Coweta sheriff’s deputies on Feb. 13 at approximately 7:30 p.m. to provide lighting at the residence at 225 Kensington Drive near Sharpsburg. Moore said deputies had been at the scene since approximately 5 p.m. after a missing person’s report had been filed. Read More»

Fire destroys portion of Fairburn’s historic downtown

By anyone’s standards it was a unique landmark. But all that changed in the early hours of Thursday morning when flames engulfed one of downtown Fairburn’s large historic buildings along U.S. Highway 29, resulting in the loss of several businesses. No injuries were reported in the fire that is under investigation. Read More»

Crash involving sheriff’s wife to be reviewed

Sheriff’s Capt. Deborah Hannah was responding to a burglar alarm at her own home the afternoon of Jan. 2 when her sport utility vehicle collided with another car, sheriff’s officials said.

The crash injured both Capt. Hannah, the driver of the car and the driver’s 4-year-old daughter, though their injuries were reportedly not life-threatening. Meanwhile the burglar alarm was later found to have been a false alarm, sheriff’s officials said. Read More»

Jury rules for Fayette man in fire case

Landlord claimed HP scanner sparked blaze at dress shop

A retired Fayette County teacher has won a $110,000 jury verdict against the Hewlett-Packard Corporation for a fire at a downtown Fayetteville building that was tied to a computer scanner used by a tenant.

The fire happened Feb. 16, 2006 at Once in a Lifetime Events on south Glynn Street across from the historic Fayette County Courthouse. The building is owned by former Fayette County High School teacher Larry Graves. Read More»

Space heater led to trailer fire

A space heater is being blamed for causing a fire that destroyed a trailer in downtown Tyrone last week.

The trailer, located adjacent to Tyrone Tire, caught fire Jan. 21 but no one was hurt, fire officials said. The resident had left the space heater on for several dogs while the resident was away, officials said.

The fire was well underway when the first crew arrived on the scene. The crew’s response was delayed initially because the wrong address was given by the person reporting the fire, officials said. Read More»

Recent Comments