Lights and Sirens

PTC July 4 fireworks to proceed, even if lake remains dry

PTC July 4 fireworks to proceed, even if lake remains dry

Lake Peachtree may be down for some time, but the city’s July 4 fireworks display will go on over the lake, water or none, city officials have said.

The lake’s level was lowered in February to allow residents to repair docks and maintain the shoreline, but structural problems were found with the lake's spillway, putting a halt to plans to refill the lake in April. City and county officials are working together on a plan to temporarily repair the spillway, but the state may force the lake to remain unfilled until permanent repairs are made. Read More»

Fayette may back off fire aid to F’ville

A Fayette County fire truck parked in Fayetteville recently. Photo/Ben Nelems.

Will county fire trucks roll or ‘wait’ on F’ville fires? Rapson: ‘We can’t be augmenting Fayetteville fire services’ Read More»

Sheriff: homeowner mistakenly shoots brother

The Fayette County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a May 4 shooting in which a homeowner mistakenly shot his younger brother during the night at a home on Sandy Lake Circle, according to Sheriff Barry Babb.

The sleeping resident awoke during the night to what he thought was an intruder, but it was actually his guest and younger brother who had gone to use the restroom, Babb said.

Unaware, the resident retrieved his pistol and shot his brother once, with the round entering and exiting the brother’s abdomen and grazing his arm, Babb said. Read More»

Young child injured in fall

A 2-year-old child was injured May 4 during a fall from a second-story window at a home on Adams Road, according to Fayette County Sheriff Barry Babb.

The window had been opened to release smoke and odor from the home after food had burned on the stove, and despite the screen being intact the child pushed through and fell to the patio below, Babb said.

The child was airlifted to the hospital but did not suffer life-threatening injuries, Babb said.

Outside burning ban starts May 1

Photo/Shutterstock.

The annual ban on outdoor burning starts May 1 for not just Fayette County but 44 other counties around metro Atlanta.

The ban, which runs through Sept. 30, prohibits citizens and businesses from burning yard and land-clearing debris. It is enacted each year to improve air quality during the summer months, as outdoor burning activities release smoke, oxides and nitrogen into the air which can cause ozone to form. Read More»

PTC police offering emergency training for teenagers

The Peachtree City Police Department will be hosting a Teen Community Emergency Response Team (Teen CERT) camp beginning June 16.

Classes will be held Monday through Friday of that week ending on June 20. The classes will start at 8 a.m. and end at 12:30 p.m. each day. The camp will be held in the training room at the Police Station. Read More»

All's well, after a porch collapses

A man working at a north Coweta County residence had a close call on April 8 when the back porch of the home gave way and he fell 20 feet into an old well under the porch. Firefighters responding to the scene set up a tripod to free the man.

Coweta County Emergency Management Agency Director Jay Jones said the man, identified by news reports as Roger Howard, was working on the back porch of the Doc Perry Road residence in north Coweta when the floor gave way, causing him to fall through the flooring and into an old 30-foot well. Read More»

Comcast worker honored for rescuing man from fire

Comcast employee Najee Mosley-Mack (center, holding plaque) embraces the man he rescued, Bob Arnold, as Fayetteville Council members and public safety officers gather at the April 3 meeting. Photo/Ben Nelms.

It was a hero’s welcome for Comcast employee Najee Mosley-Mack at the April 3 meeting of the Fayetteville City Council. Mosley-Mack attended the meeting to receive a proclamation citing his efforts in the March 14 house fire on Hilo Road that saved a man’s life and one of the family’s dogs.

Mosley-Mack was joined for the presentation by Bob Arnold, the man whose life was saved, and by members of Arnold’s family and public safety crews from Fayetteville and Fayette County. Read More»

Woolsey fire claims three lives

The three victims of the Saturday night home fire on Ga. Highway 92 South all died of smoke inhalation, two of them only a few feet from the front door, officials said.

The victims in the April 5 house fire were 61-year-old Valerie Phillips, 64-year-old Darrell Phillips and their daughter, 30-year-old Emily, according to Fayette County Fire Chief David Scarbrough.

Scarbrough said autopsies by the Ga. Bureau of Investigation confirmed that all three family members died of smoke inhalation and that dental records had been used to positively identify the victims. Read More»

Fire damages N. Fayette home Thurs.

Flames licked from the roof of the home as firefighters worked to put water on the blaze to knock it down. Photo/John Munford.

A Thursday morning structure fire severely damaged a home on Lees Mill Road in north Fayette County owned by the family of county commissioner Allen McCarty.

The fire was reported to 911 by an employee of Coweta-Fayette EMC who happened to notice smoke coming from the home at 163 Lees Mill Road as he drove by, according to Division Chief Pete Nelms of the Fayette County Department of Fire and Emergency Services.

Prior to calling 911, the employee, Curtis Camp, went to the door and notified the occupant of the home so she could go to safety while he reported the fire to authorities. Read More»

Recent Comments