Lights and Sirens

PTC firefighter charged with DUI

Peachtree City firefighter/EMT Kevin Bernard McMullen was charged with DUI alcohol on the morning of Jan. 11. Fire department supervisors at McMullen’s place of work at Fire Station #81 at Paschall Road and Ga. Highway 74 initiated the process that led to the administration of sobriety tests by Peachtree City Police officers after performing a “mouth swab” at the fire station where McMullen had reported for duty. Subsequent testing showed the 32 year-old Fayetteville resident with a blood alcohol level of .135. Read More»

PTC has ‘new’ bus to teach fire prevention, safety

The Peachtree City Fire Department recently unveiled its Fire Education Bus, which is specially equipped to teach people of all ages about fire safety in the home. Read More»

Snow day means no school and lots of fun

Snow day means no school and lots of fun

Fayetteville residents Kendal, 7, and Ainsley, 5, go sledding down a neighbor’s driveway, as Mom records the moment for posterity. Photo/Khara Chunn.

Only in PTC: Golf cart sledding

Only in PTC: Golf cart sledding

Putting Peachtree City’s signature vehicle to a novel use, Bruce Powell tows Cassidy Powell and Yuri-Grace Ohashi along an ice-covered neighborhood street in Braelinn Village. Photo/Kathy Hasse.

Sparse traffic on usually busy Hwy. 74N in PTC

Sparse traffic on usually busy Hwy. 74N in PTC

Hardy motorists brave roads as ice blanketed snowfall of about 2 inches across Peachtree City. This photo looks north in Kedron on Ga. Highway 74. Photo/Ben Nelms.

Icy driving Monday morning at PTC’s big intersection

Icy driving Monday morning at PTC’s big intersection

Although Peachtree City’s government offices are officially closed today, city Information Officer Betsy Tyler and IT Administrator Matthew Robinson surveyed the city’s busiest intersection and found traffic moving slowly but cautiously. “These were about 8:45 a.m. today (Matt & I walked) — SR 74 looking north across SR 54, and SR 54 looking west across SR 74. Some cars are out, moving slowly and some sliding when turning. You can’t see asphalt — covered by a sand & snow mix. It’s better to just stay in today! Brrr. — Betsy Tyler (reporting from home). Photo/Betsy Tyler.

Brooks man dies in Thurday night traffic crash on Hwy. 85 South

Twenty-six year-old Brooks resident Brian Schornak was killed Thursday night on Ga. Highway 85 South when the motorcycle he was riding struck a vehicle turning onto the highway from Porter Road. The investigation of the crash is ongoing and charges are pending.

Maj. Bryan Woodie Friday morning said the Traffic Enforcement Section of the Fayette County Sheriff's Office is investigating the two vehicle traffic crash that resulted in Schornak’s death. Schornak was pronounced dead at the scene, Woodie said. Read More»

Family escapes New Year’s Eve fire, but Fayetteville home badly damaged

A New Year’s Eve fire at a residence on Pleasant Point Way east of Fayetteville resulted in no significant injuries to occupants. Multiple fire units fought the early morning blaze that caused significant damage to home and its contents.

None of the four occupants in the home at the time of the fire was injured, though one child was evaluated at the scene for possible smoke inhalation, according to Fayette County Fire and Emergency Services Capt. Pete Nelms. Read More»

New Year’s stops net 12 arrests, 46 tickets

A Fayette County deputy sheriff checks the license of a motorist New Year’s Eve. Several such checkpoints yielded arrests and contraband. Photo/Ben Nelms.

New Year’s Eve is one of those occasions when people should strongly consider what they are doing on Fayette County’s roadways. Roadchecks and patrols conducted by the Fayette County Sheriff’s Office around the county on Dec. 31 resulted in 46 citations, 12 arrests and 17 warnings issued. Read More»

Heat lamps cause fires and close calls

Heat lamps in use during this month’s cold temperatures were the cause of two structure fires in Coweta County. Assistant Fire Chief and Fire Marshal Jimmy Gantt urged residents to be aware the dangers associated with using the lamps for supplemental heating.

Gantt said that during the month firefighters responded to two structure fires caused by heat lamps. Though residents were unharmed, Gantt said that in one of the cases the family dog perished in the fire. Read More»

Recent Comments