Lights and Sirens

Fire kills S. Fayette man

A south Fayette man died Sunday, shortly after he was rescued from his burning home, county fire officials said.

Wilson Hightower, 67, was in the house when the first fire crew arrived at 165 Weldon Road at 7:18 a.m., said Lt. Donnie Davis of the Fayette County Department of Fire and Emergency Services.

At the time, there was heavy smoke and fire showing from the attic and Hightower’s wife, Denise, was in the front yard telling firefighters that her husband was still inside. Read More»

Fines set for false burglar alarms in PTC

In an effort to free up police manpower, Peachtree City has approved new rules that could lead to fines for multiple false burglar alarm calls at a given residence or business.

Under the ordinance the first two false alarms are free, and the third can be free if the system owner takes an online course.

The move is in response to a staggering number of false burglar alarms. In 2010, the department responded to 2,707 burglar alarms. Only one had indicated an actual crime had occurred, according to Police Chief H.C. “Skip” Clark. Read More»

Fayette County landfill transfer station reopens after fire

Firefighters at an early morning blaze May 15 at the landfill transfer station on First Manassas Mile in Fayetteville battled a fire of unknown origin for seven hours before extinguishing the large amount of household trash stored in the metal building. Though still under investigation, the building was unharmed and able to re-open May 17. Photo/Ben Nelms.

Firefighters from Fayetteville and Fayette County Fire and Emergency Services battled an early morning fire May 15 in the transfer station building at the county landfill on First Manassas Mile. The fire was brought under control early Sunday afternoon and the transfer station was reopened Tuesday. Read More»

Fire closes Fayette Co. transfer station

Fayette County's solid waste transfer station will remain closed temporarily in the wake of a recent fire. Read More»

B’day candle sets off blaze in house fire

B’day candle sets off blaze in house fire

A house fire at 130 Nix Court near Fayetteville during the early afternoon hours May 13 resulted in heavy damage but no injuries to the two residents in the house at the time of the blaze. Firefighters at the scene learned that the cause of the fire was apparently related to a young child playing with a birthday candle.

Fayette County Fire and Emergency Services Lt. Donnie Davis said two residents were at home at the time of the blaze and called 911 to report the fire. Davis said firefighters and emergency crews from Fayette FES and the Fayetteville Fire Department responded. Read More»

Traffic alert: PTC Triathlon Saturday morning

Peachtree City motorists should expect extended delays Saturday between 7 and 10 a.m. along the path of the Peachtree City Triathlon, police have advised. Read More»

Work on Hwy. 16 and I-85 to cause delays

Road work on Ga. Highway 16 eastbound from Carroll County to Ga. Highway 14 into Newnan and on I-85 northbound from Ga. Highway 34 to Ga. Highway 154 is ongoing and is expected to result in traffic delays. Work is expected to be completed on I-85 by May 18 while the work on Hwy. 16 carries an expected completion date of May 31. Read More»

Luther Bailey Rd. to see detours until Nov. for bridge work

Motorists traveling along Luther Bailey Road in southeast Coweta County outside Senoia will see detours beginning May 12 and extending through Nov. 8 while crews demolish the bridge at Double Branch Creek and construct the replacement bridge. Read More»

Small package, big payoff in emergencies

The Coweta County Fire Department is about to add a piece of equipment to its roster that, though quite small and not very costly, could pay big dividends during emergencies. And while not flashy and eye-popping like a large, red ladder truck, Deputy Fire Chief Todd Moore said the small special operations trailer approved May 5 by the Coweta County Commission is expected to play a role in responding to emergencies and saving lives. Read More»

Dumping old pills for the environment's sake

Dumping old pills for the environment's sake

Peachtree City Police Lt. Jason Epps (right) and a fellow officer and DEA agent were front and center April 30 as area residents arrived at Shakerag on McIntosh Trail to drop off out-of-date prescription and over-the-counter medications for the department’s “Pill Drop” program. Residents dropped off approximately 170 pounds of medications, the vast majority of which were old prescription meds. Officials then safely dispose of the medications in an environmentally friendly manner. Photo/Ben Nelms.