For unions, the screaming has just begun

Terry Garlock's picture

In Madison, Wis., there is a televised struggle between the government employee unions and newly elected Governor Scott Walker (R). If you are willing to put on your thinking cap, this confrontation is instructive about just one way America has gone wrong in creating an addiction to other people’s money, and the screaming over budget cuts that surely will come.

Many states have realized one startling fact as a result of declining tax revenue and close examination of budget forecasts in these recessionary times: They have huge obligations to pay public employee pensions, obligations that cannot be met absent massive tax increases.

That means the current uproar in Madison, prompted by proposed budget cuts affecting those union employees, is a harbinger of many more collisions to come.

The Wisconsin teachers union at issue has managed to obtain for their teacher members a very nice package of generous salary, health care and pension, and — I need a drumroll here — zero employee contribution to either pension or healthcare. In other words, the union has done a tremendous job representing their members, at the expense of taxpayers, of course.

You might wonder why taxpayers in Wisconsin would agree to that package, and therein lies the rub.

The state has a deep Democrat streak and has cast its presidential votes for Democrats in the last six elections. The Democrats in the Wisconsin legislature have been stalwart union friends, and in 2009 passed laws sweetening the union deal. The state collects union dues as a deduction from member paychecks, passing the money on to the unions, who use that money to contribute heavily to Democrat election campaigns. Are you starting to smell a rat?

The real rat is collective bargaining for union wages and benefits, in which those same Democrats feather their nest by giving the unions generous terms at the expense of taxpayers; spending other people’s money has always been easy. Meanwhile, local counties and cities, the stakeholders, are stuck paying the tab without any say in those negotiations. That is precisely the reason 24 states limit or prohibit collective bargaining for public employee unions.

Enter stage left a newly elected Republican governor and legislators.

With this background, consider what Gov. Walker is proposing, while keeping in mind the coming struggle in many other states.

He proposes that collective bargaining be rescinded so that the unions will have to negotiate wages with the localities that pay the tab out of their own budget.

He is also proposing to break the cycle of corruption by telling the unions to collect their own dues and remove the state from the process, thereby giving the employees a choice to make in paying union dues that partially go to political campaigns, campaigns with which some members might disagree.

Finally, the governor is proposing the employees contribute 5.8 percent of their pay toward their pension, consistent with the national average for public employees, and 12.6 percent of their own healthcare cost, which is under half the national average.

This is precisely what the governor said in his campaign that he would do, and voters expect him to follow through.

Of course the unions are screaming bloody murder and applying their usual tactics of intimidation. Union members, many of them schoolteachers, left their jobs all week to protest, forcing three districts to close the schools while these teachers yell that the governor is interfering with educating the kids.

They gathered at the homes of their opponents to harass families, and gathered in the capitol building to make noise that made the business of legislation impossible.

But never mind, because 14 Democrat senators fled the state to hole up in a Rockford, Ill. Best Western hotel, thereby preventing a quorum and bringing the legislative process to a halt.

Meanwhile, supporters of the unions circulate amidst the crowds taking member names for friendly doctors to write fraudulent notes to support their calling in sick while they yell and chant their insistence on being treated honestly.

I wonder if they are aware Wisconsin has a very long-established strong set of labor laws protecting the rights of civil service workers? Somehow I doubt that would diminish their zeal for the union, ready to go to bat, maybe with goons swinging bats if necessary, on their behalf whether the budget is broke or not.

This finger in the eye of taxpayers should be a teaching moment for all kids – this is how adults should never behave.

The real shame, of course, is it took not only a broken budget, but an extraordinarily determined governor, to bring to the table this issue of taxpayers being screwed. It should never have been allowed to happen, no matter how fat the budget.

So, with this confrontation in Wisconsin over budget cuts, what did our President do as he struggled with the federal budget in far worse condition? You would expect a president in these budget crunch times to make hard choices and support governors doing the same in their state. But you would be wrong.

President Obama brazenly submitted to Congress a new budget that failed to address real federal problems and proposed even more new spending, kicking to the House of Representatives the hard work of making unpopular cuts to entitlements. Apparently, he just couldn’t locate his spine.

Then, in a spectacular display of chutzpah, President Obama expressed his dismay over unfriendly treatment of his union thug buddies, with nary a mention of Wisconsin taxpayers, and mobilized his forces to bus people to Wisconsin to bolster the protests and to operate phone banks generating opposition to the governor’s efforts to balance the Wisconsin budget. You can’t call President Obama bashful.

The current struggle in Wisconsin is much like the federal debt disaster. Deficit spending – other people’s money - is so much easier than hard choices to set priorities and limit spending to current revenue.

But as debt mounts and budgets are overtaken by impossible entitlement demands, we and our recalcitrant representatives will soon be dragged collectively, kicking and screaming, to make the hard benefit cut choices that should have been made long ago, and we will all scream when our favorite program is cut.

The screaming has just begun.

[Terry Garlock lives in Peachtree City and occasionally contributes a column in The Citizen. His email is tgarlock@mindspring.com.]

Joe Kawfi
Joe Kawfi's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/20/2009
Union Thuggery in action

Watch all of these miserable liberal union losers foaming at the mouth. It's outright hilarious!

Look at me! I'm Krispy the Klown! Hey Krispy - brush your tooth and get a haircut, for cryin' out loud.

Union Thug Threatens to “Teabag” 17-Year-old Kid Handing Out Copies of the Constitution… What can you say - typical lib.

Union supporters attack Tea Partiers The union supporters hurl filthy language and insults at the Tea Party member. At one point, police were called in to protect this young man as he stood his ground and continued to speak.

Chicago Leftist Literally Foams at the Mouth During Pro-Union Protest… Krispy? Is that you again? Wipe the spittle off of your chin.

Teamster Thug Yelling “Fascist Pigs Go Home!” Assaults Tea Partier…

Union Protester In New Jersey: Chris Christie Is A Terrorist Who Would Shoot Workers

These liberal union thugs haven't yet realized that their employer (Americans that actually work for a living) have said "ENOUGH! THE GRAVY TRAIN IS OVER!" You want more money, get another job! You want a cushy retirement, save for it instead of blowing all of your money on booze, cigarettes, and lottery tickets!

Chris P. Bacon
Chris P. Bacon's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/28/2010
Politifact Wisconsin: Garlock mistaken...
Brave Terry Garlock, Hero of Vietnam™ wrote:

....
Enter stage left a newly elected Republican governor and legislators.

With this background, consider what Gov. Walker is proposing, while keeping in mind the coming struggle in many other states.

He proposes that collective bargaining be rescinded so that the unions will have to negotiate wages with the localities that pay the tab out of their own budget.

He is also proposing to break the cycle of corruption by telling the unions to collect their own dues and remove the state from the process, thereby giving the employees a choice to make in paying union dues that partially go to political campaigns, campaigns with which some members might disagree.

Finally, the governor is proposing the employees contribute 5.8 percent of their pay toward their pension, consistent with the national average for public employees, and 12.6 percent of their own healthcare cost, which is under half the national average.

This is precisely what the governor said in his campaign that he would do, and voters expect him to follow through.

(emphasis added above)

Governor Walker, Fox News and Brave Terry Garlock, Hero of Vietnam™ have all insisted that Governor Walker ran his campaign on the above promises, and that voters should not be surprised.

Unfortunately for these three, the truth is quite different. Politifact Wisconsin just completed an exhaustive review of Governor Walker's campaign promises, and *surprise surprise surprise!* the intellectually dishonest Governor didn't bring up his dream of decertifyin' unions until December 7th, 2010, one month AFTER the election was over.

LINK to Politifact Wisconsin Article

One wonders if Brave Terry Garlock, Hero of Vietnam™ has the testicular fortitude to admit he was mistaken.

tgarlock
tgarlock's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/26/2005
I hate to admit to you Crispy . . .

. . . but you almost have a point, proving the old adage that even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then. Almost, but not quite.

I didn't mention in my column the decertifying move the gov is trying for with requiring an annual union member vote. Nevertheless, if I assume Politifact is correct, my use of the word "precisely" in my column misses the mark, would have been far better replaced with "generally" to describe what the gov said in his campaign, particularly about collective bargaining, because it appears he alluded to it but didn't say it outright in his campaign. That is intellectual honesty, something you mentioned but clearly know little about.

What really matters, of course, is not that a politician fudged but the fact the public employee unions have been taking taxpayers for a ride with the aid of their Democrat buddies for decades, and the Wisconsin confrontation is at long last exposing the ugly side of union coercion they call collective bargaining. Even stalwart lefties like FDR and AFL-CIO legend George Meany said long ago that public employee unions could not possibly use collective bargaining since it would give them a monopoly on government services . . . but here we are. For a very long time public service unions have been gathering members even while private sector unions decline, they have been raping the taxpayers and more collisions will soon come.

So go ahead and revel in your victory that I used a word that turned out to be exaggerated, it hardly matters.

BTW I see that you have set yourself up as an authority on bravery and heroes, ironic since you throw electronic spitballs and insults from behind cover yourself. Just so you know, heroes are the ones who never come home from serving their country.

Chris P. Bacon
Chris P. Bacon's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/28/2010
GEBS Syndrome (Garlock-Epps-Brown-Satterwaithe Syndrome)
tgarlock wrote:

BTW I see that you have set yourself up as an authority on bravery and heroes, ironic since you throw electronic spitballs and insults from behind cover yourself.

There is a journalistic virus floating around the Citizen's editorial offices that I've taken to calling Garlock-Epps-Brown-Satterwaithe Syndrome (GEBS Syndrome for short) in honor of the four primary disease vectors who promulgate this virus.

GEBS Syndrome, plainly stated, causes the infected person to believe that their arguments are somehow "more valid" because they do not post in this forum anonymously. They are somehow "braver", while we anonymous folks are somehow "cowards".

GEBS Syndrome columnists are quite content to sit on their lofty perches and inflame the unwashed masses, seemingly unaware or uncaring of the actions they inspire.

Holding a position contrary to a GEBS Syndrome columnist can be hazardous to your employment and/or family.

Don't believe me? Ask Citizen blogger Muddle. Ask Citizen blogger AFA10. Ask Fayette Daily News associate editor Trey Alverson.

In the past two years, each of the above people said something that offended the far-right fringe fans of a GEBS Syndrome columnist. The offended far-right fringe in each case took it upon themselves to interfere with the employment of someone who merely expressed an opinion they disagreed with. The fringe right success rate was 33%.

I urge the Citizen's GEBS Syndrome columnists to do just a bit of navel gazing. People here have their livelihood put at risk for voicing a contrary opinion. Three times in two years is a disturbing trend...and you will note that it ALWAYS occurs to people who dare to disagree with the far-right party line.

As an aside, this propensity to go after posters is why I complained to Cal Beverly the other day when certain posters here decided they had a 'right' to reveal personal information about letters-to-the-editor writers that they'd gleaned from court records. These folks squealed that I was promoting "censorship", unaware or uncaring of the "chilling effect" they have on public discourse.

I don't expect this post to have much of an impact on Mssrs. Garlock, Epps, and Brown or Ms. Satterwaithe. Garlock is a self-employed stock peddler, he doesn't have to worry about his job. Nobody's going to defrock the "Archbishop of Sharpsburg" for his opinion. Steve Brown is answerable only to the voters. I have no idea if Sallie Satterwaithe has a job or not.

But those of us who put food on the table for our families (or "put food on our families" in Dubyaspeak) shouldn't have to worry about keeping our jobs just because we happen to disagree with the moronic ramblings of a Citizen columnist.

birdman
birdman's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/28/2005
Bacon, well put

I used to write letters to the editor and sign them. I always felt anonymous crap was cowardice. Then the Steve Brown minions attacked and attacked me anonymously in the Free Speech. I actually called them out and offered to meet in public and they simply slithered under their rocks. I challenged Cal Beverly regarding personal attacks (a violation of Free Speech column) when I was called many lovely names that I won't repeat here only to protect my anonymity. His answer was that it wasn't his responsibility to protect the sensitivities of those who enter political debate! So I decided that it wasn't worth it to my family or to me. King Steve won (sort of). He silenced a member of the opposition, something he always claimed to have hated. He always claimed it was our civic duty to speak out. Yet when we spoke out, as he suggested, he used his attack crabs to silence us. But bless the blog. Now we can continue to speak without fear of retribution.
Oh, I've been accused of being many people. I will not say if I am any of them. I do not fear anyone knowing who I am, but I have problems when the anonymity is one way. On this blog we go after each other in an arena that is specific. We do not open ourselves to public attacks on ourselves, our loved ones, or our friends (as happened to me). As to GEBS, they are columnists or politicians. By definition they are fair game. If they want to blog anonymously then they can. But when they say things publicly as a columnist or in their political office, they are either trying to elicit discussion (something Garlock seems to not understand) or are speaking official policy of the people (like Brown). If Garlock only writes columns to get lots of positive strokes and suggests there be NO opposition, then he needs to resign. Brown only wants blind followers. He definitely needs to resign. But taking a page from Browns very words, it is our duty as American's to hold our politicians accountable. If King Steve can't take the heat he needs to get out of the kitchen.

Chris P. Bacon
Chris P. Bacon's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/28/2010
The illusion of allusion
Fayette Citizen columnist Brave Terry Garlock, Hero of Vietnam™ - 2011 (paraphrase) wrote:

Voters knew what they were getting when the voted for Governor Walker. Everyone knew that he meant decertifying and destroying public unions when he talked about "dealing with the union problem". The fact that he didn't come right out and say exactly what he was going to do is trivial and anyone who says otherwise is intellectually dishonest.

More important than that, however, is the fact that unions must be destroyed so that our great American nation can reclaim its former glory! Everyone knows that public employee unions are responsible for the decline of our once-proud nation over the last decade!

An echo from the past....

Frankfurt Citizen columnist Brave Ludwig Von Garlock, Hero of Verdun™ - 1933 (paraphrase) wrote:

Voters knew what they were getting when the voted for Chancellor Hitler. Everyone knew that he meant building massive extermination camps when he talked about "dealing with the Jewish problem". The fact that he didn't come right out and say exactly what he was going to do is trivial and anyone who says otherwise is intellectually dishonest.

More important than that, however, is the fact that Jews must be destroyed so that our great German nation can reclaim its former glory! Everyone knows that Jews are responsible for the decline of our once-proud nation over the last decade!

birdman
birdman's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/28/2005
Terry, about Bacon

I feel Bacon's comment about you being "Brave Terry Garlock, Hero of Vietnam" is a bit over the edge. But your answer to him is to "bloggie." A quick question, are you a "columnist" or a "blogger?" If you are a "columnist" as the Citizen seems to think, then I don't feel you should engage in emotion filled blog answers. I understand the desire, temptation, etc., but it seems quite obvious that columns will always elicit negative remarks. In fact it seems that would be it's exact purpose, to elicit discussion. But your remarks to Bacon are like most the blogs here, filled with emotion, anger, insult, and sarcasm. A columnist should simply let those things go, or answer unemotionally with facts to back his or her column.
And as I said Bacon's honorary "title" for you is a bit over the edge. But you sort of brought it on. I have followed your remarks for years. You were, and still are, presented to us as a "veteran of Viet Nam." That is the sole reason provided for you to become a regular Citizen columnist. Just like Brown was always presented as "former mayor of Peachtree City." It is what you and the Citizen has decided makes you an "expert" on so many things.
I respect your service as I respect the service of ALL of us. Not just Viet Nam, but ALL of us. There are a lot of Viet Nam Vets in Fayette County. Although your experiences in the war are individual, your service does not make you as unique as you or the Citizen would like to think. They certainly don't make you an expert on politics, unions, the Presidency, the Constitution, or much else, other than the events that happened to you in Viet Nam. So if you can't handle comments on your much publicized Viet Nam connection (although still over the edge), then how about establishing your "expertise" with some other qualification? You know, area of educational study, business, political experience, anything. But "gee I served in Viet Nam and was wounded" (honorable as it is, and deserving our respect and gratitude) just doesn't do it. You don't know, nor are you particularly interested in, the military experience of the rest of us. And my military experience doesn't qualify me to speak on anything other than my military experience. That is why I blog and don't write columns.

roundabout
roundabout's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/01/2011
Alluded, but didn't say it!

I wouldn't say someone else doesn't have intellectual honesty if I was you!

Do you really think he would have been elected if he had said "plainly" or any other way, that he planned to destroy the Wisconsin public employee unions?

So why did you say that he was only doing what he promised to do in the campaign? Most politicians don't do that anyway!

Want to bet the new TEA electees in the House of Representatives won't propose cutting Social Security or Medicare benefits as they said they would! Nor defense any more than the Secretary has asked for cutting!

Mouthing, as the TEAS have done, accomplishing little---just a few votes from dummies.

roundabout
roundabout's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/01/2011
Bacon:& Garlock

No politician would say that his intention if elected was to practically destroy public employee's unions in Wisconsin or anywhere else.
Of course he didn't say it before the election.

I have no love for some unions--not all--but these stupid TEAs and extreme right wingers are dangerous to our two party system!

It has worked so far simply by voting them out in the next election according to what they actually did---not said.

Destroying all unions is like outlawing the Rotarians! Or the US Chamber of Commerce. Not necessary!

Libya and Egypt are reaping their rewards for extreme one-party or 25 parties like Italy, and we have to resist that.

Chris P. Bacon
Chris P. Bacon's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/28/2010
"Union Screaming" part 2

The New York Times today is reporting enormous numbers of political Independents are climbing down off their traditional fence and siding overwhelmingly with pro-collective bargaining Unions against the slash-n-burn politics of Governor Walker and the jackbooted Tea Party thugs.

New York Times (actual quote, not an Observerofu fabricated quote) wrote:

Americans oppose weakening the bargaining rights of public employee unions by a margin of nearly two to one: 60 percent to 33 percent...61 percent of those polled — including just over half of Republicans — said they thought the salaries and benefits of most public employees were either “about right” or “too low” for the work they do.

(emphasis added above)

Unlike Observerofu, I always provide a direct link when I quote the New York Times: LINK to NY Times article

It would appear that Mr. Garlock and the "Drown Out Dissent Trio" (Observerofu, Ga Patriot, and Joe Kawfi) can yell and scream "Union Thugs!" and "Socialism!!!" until they are blue in their collective faces, but America as a whole rejects the garbage they are selling.

Observerofu
Observerofu's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/14/2010
Bacon your obvious crush on me is noted

Can't help but bring me along to one of your rants huh?

Well hommie don't play that. You might catch for the other team but leave your homo-erotica fantasy's about me alone. I will never be yours. I am sure you have found a suitable mate in that little lovely town.

Do you still have issues with auto-erotic asphyxia or have you progressed past that now?

Chris P. Bacon
Chris P. Bacon's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/28/2010
A teachable moment...

gOOFUs, I had a teachable moment in my comment above, I had the opportunity to show you how to correctly quote the New York Times. Hopefully, you will learn from my example and not make another embarassing misquote of the Times in the future.

Observerofu
Observerofu's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/14/2010
Well again you misquoted me but that's not new

once again I never said it. But you can't provide the evidence that I did can you?

Just link to the conversation. Surely you know how to do that here I will help you.

Bacon and the art of interpretation

Bacon you have wondered why I have not responded to your questions. Let me take the time to answer that question now.
It is because you are not an honest purveyor of conversational debate. You see you are, as I have said before, simply a contrarian. You do not want a debate. You simply want to disagree and like I told Gort you may disagree with my opinion, it still does not make you right it simply makes you disagreeable.
You claim anyone that disagrees with you is a liar and then a coward for not admitting it. Yet you offer nothing in the way of a counterpoint or counter argument. Oh when pressed you sometimes come up with a Huff piece or an opinion blog that somehow you assert backs up your point of view, but generally you just disagree and then fall back on the tried and true bacon standard fare of insults and misquotes.

Let’s examine what you call a lie I will even use your example.

Progressives and Liberals host “Anti-honor” Rally this Saturday.
Now that was the title of my topic. Nowhere in that title do I explicitly or even infer that this was in any way a headline from any newspaper.

The second line was “At least that is how the New York Times bills it.

Now you used this one line as your absolute evidence of a LIE by claiming I am STATING that the New York Times has written an article with the title of “Anti-honor” or “Anti-Beck”. This never occurred. It was an opinion based on editorials written by the Times and the commentary of Maddow and Oberman on MSNBC. This was later defined in later postings. I provided links to the stories themselves. Nowhere did I ever state I was quoting an article. So by misstating that fact intentionally is what the definition of a lie is.
Definition of a lie:
–noun
1.
a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; anintentional untruth; a falsehood.
2.
something intended or serving to convey a false impression;imposture: His flashy car was a lie that deceived no one.
3.
an inaccurate or false statement.
http://www.thecitizen.com/node/4172

Here is the link now look at post #22 through #32 the argument is clearly defined. You claimed I said the topic was from an article from the Times it was never said or even implied. Yet you still persist months later.

You have made this an art. You take statements from others not ideologically aligned with you and then falsely claim they said something else.
Then you go from topic to topic telling the lies trying to convince others of your superior intelligence and moral authority.

Bacon as I have said before you are a pseudo-intellectual. You really should look to JeffC as your example of someone who has intellect and character and would serve yourself best by emulating him.

JeffC in his article titled “Carter correct on North Korea”

http://www.thecitizen.com/articles/12-14-2010/carter-correct-north-korea

Here Jeff and I were on opposite spectrums of the Carter presidency. In comments #2-#9 Jeff and I disagreed on the substance of the point. Neither he nor I insulted each other, called each other a liar nor did we attack the others family.
Unlike you JeffC is therefore an honest purveyor of Conversational debate.

In another topic JeffC stated in comment #62 and #107 that the Constitution guarantees us the right to vote.
Opusman and I both corrected him in on-going arguments. In comment #111 I give him absolute concrete evidence that he is in-correct. JeffC then after considering his opinion realizes he is incorrect and admits so.
He did this without rancor, insults or jumping off topic arguing points not in play. He simply reviewed his opinion and made the correction. Note I never called JeffC a liar or jumped topics to claim he made statements he did not in fact make.

http://www.thecitizen.com/node/3348

Bacon you seem at least semi-literate. The moment you devolve into insults you have lost the debate. I believe you already know this. So why do you do it? Well I guess only you and your Psychologist knows for sure.

Future debate with you is therefore impossible. You don’t want a debate. So I will simply link to this post and move on.

Sound advice I should learn to take my own

Chris P. Bacon
Chris P. Bacon's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/28/2010
gOOFUs, you lied

Bottom line: You misquoted the NY Times and got caught. Then you tried blustering your way out, instead of being a man and accepting responsibility for your lie.

Observerofu
Observerofu's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/14/2010
If it helps you sleep tonight bacon.

I however actually gave evidence. You just threw out a charge without evidence which you do almost exclusively. Your alligator mouth is writing checks your humminbird butt can't cash.

Chris P. Bacon
Chris P. Bacon's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/28/2010
About that "screaming"....

Brave Terry Garlock, Hero of Vietnam™ has it all wrong about this "screaming". The only screaming we've seen this weekend comes from the jackbooted Teahadist thugs at these feeble counter-protests they've been having: "That union man pushed me to the ground! All I did was spit in his face! That was uncalled for! Help, POLICE!"

Speaking of police, I suspect Brave Terry Garlock, Hero of Vietnam™ will be scratching his unibrow in puzzlement when he learns that the Madison police department refused to obey Governor Hitler...errr, Walker's order to close the Wisconsin capitol building and arrest the demonstrators.

Maybe Governor Hitler....errr, Walker will call out the National Guard! I think Brave Terry Garlock, Hero of Vietnam™ would quite enjoy Kent State II.

kevink
kevink's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/07/2011
Terry Garlock: Just absolutely ridiculous!!!

I cannot believe that you have not one single comment on this opinion piece that you worked so hard on. So we will just fix that ;-). Hope you are well my friend.

We all do have to share in our economic recovery and belt tightening. Gov. Walker's problem is in credibility however. When you come in and worsen your state's financial picture by giving corporate tax breaks, but then tell middle class workers you have no money, you have a problem. When those workers agree to financial cuts but you make "collective bargaining" a deal breaker, you have another problem. And then, when you refuse to talk with these union members (who are both tax payers and constituents), but jump at a chance to talk to who you believe is one of the Koch brothers, you have lost the moral high ground all together.

But, Terry, the union labor boogyman will soon be overshadowed by the weight of unsustainable oil prices, so this is almost academic.

Cheersmy whirrly-bird bro.

AtHomeGym
AtHomeGym's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/18/2007
kevink & sharing

I'm still willing to share part of that 5lb shipment of Eastern NC Pig Meat I got recently. Let me know.

roundabout
roundabout's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/01/2011
kevink

I will agree with you.
This Governor is a typical politician, steering around for money for campaigns and busting the unions.

The teachers, etc., have agreed to the cuts. They have not agreed for the union busting.

There is one particularly bad thing to his busting---not collecting the dues by payroll deduction. Costs nothing to do. It also makes Wisconsin a "right to work" state.
Who is going to pay union dues if they can ride the coat-tails of those who do pay them? About half.

That young, stupid Governor with the union deal and the phone conversation with his money supplier insures his defeat next election.
Too much retarded TEA stuff.

NUK_1
NUK_1's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/17/2007
Sorry Kevin, can't agree

You give out corporate welfare...errr....tax breaks, in the hope of creating some jobs within your state. That's fairly typical and is also more long-range benefits than short-term. Govt' workers don't create jobs, they provide a service that doesn't add to the tax base but certainly burdens it. We all pay for their services and it's time they also get to pay some themselves.

As far as our wonderful unionized Wisconsin folks go, all they agreed to was "paying their fair share." Since the Dems bravely ran away like the Brave Sir Robin in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, everyone else doesn't know if their "fair share" is the same cuts that Walker/Repubs are trying to pass or what they consider "fair." I highly doubt it's anything close to that, with/without the collective bargaining bit. Fair is a 4 letter word and any time it is used by Dems/Progressives/Libs, I get scared and grab my wallet quickly and also watch my mouth. It's probably a hate crime to speak against teachers having to contribute to their own benefits in the minds of some.

Don't like Walker exempting public safety from these proposals at all...that's where he loses credibility in my mind.

bowser
bowser's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/07/2005
Wisconsin tax breaks

Nuk, I'm not so sure business tax breaks that help push a budget into 'crisis' mode -- Gov. Walker's term -- qualifies as being fiscally responsible, no matter the long-term rationale about job creation.

(By the way, if all the business tax breaks ever passed had created even a fraction of the promised jobs, we'd be importing workers from China to fill them all....)

Meanwhile, in Texas -- renowned for its total lack of public employee bargaining rights and its low low taxes -- they face a $27 billion deficit over the next two year cycle. Gov. Perry and the Me Party do not want to tap any of the state's $9 bil "rainy day" fund (guess it's not raining hard enough) or raise revenue, and there are no public unions to blame.

So, as the Austin paper reports:

"House and Senate leaders proposed budgets last month that did not tap the rainy day dollars or raise state taxes. But those proposals made deep reductions in funding for education and health care.

As a result, thousands of teachers across Texas are at risk of losing their jobs and hundreds of nursing homes face closure."

Recent Comments