IRS & stereotyping the Tea Party

Bonnie Willis's picture

This past week the Tea Party ended up in the national news headlines.

It was reported that hundreds of conservative organizations, particularly Tea Party groups, were targets of unconstitutional scrutiny, delays, or denials for tax-exempt status.

Given the media’s past coverage of the Tea Party, I anticipated that this story would die within a couple of days, because I did not think the media would cover the unconstitutional treatment of Tea Party groups, which they often treat with disdain and antipathy.

However, I was pleasantly surprised when the media, members of both parties, and even the President, not only acknowledged the story, but publicly recognized that the IRS’ treatment of a group in a biased way, even one with differing viewpoints than the current administration, is contrary to the character of our country.

But it did not take long for critics of conservative groups, in general, and the Tea Party, in particular, to plant seeds of suspicion concerning the legitimacy of these organizations.

For example, despite the fact that the Director of the IRS’ Tax-Exempt Office, Lois Lerner, admitted that the IRS targeted applicants with “Tea Party” or “Patriots” in their title, I watched several news commentators on CNN and Fox News question the legitimacy of these organizations applying for 501(c)4 status.

These commentators either insinuated or plainly stated that these groups, particularly, the Tea Party, were not educationally based organizations, but a partisan arm of the Republican Party.

To this point, I question whether these individuals had ever been to a Tea Party meeting or even personally knew someone who was in the Tea Party.

As someone who has been a member of the Tea Party for more than two years, I have never been part of a meeting strategizing about getting a politician elected.

Rather, Tea Party meetings I have been involved with have focused on educating the public about key government issues like the national debt, or T-SPLOST, and strategizing about how to get more citizens engaged civically.

While it is undeniable that the majority of Tea Partiers are Republicans, like me, we do not carry the water of the Republican Party.

And, as an organization, the Tea Party has not compromised on its principles of limited, constitutional government, a free market-driven economy, and exercising fiscal responsibility.

I suspect, quite frankly, this is why several national Republican leaders have at times referred to the Tea Party with contempt. Nevertheless, this treatment of the Tea Party does beg the question, why is it that other non-conservative groups, like the NAACP or HRC, for example, are not evaluated with such skepticism?

Another seed of suspicion as to the legitimacy of conservative groups targeted in the current IRS scandal focuses on the re-emergence of the Tea Party — which is supposedly a racist organization. I had grown so accustomed to hearing these allegations in the media, however, when I heard former president of the NAACP, Julian Bond, referring to the Tea Party as not only being racist, but being, “the Taliban of America ... ,” I thought, “Wow, really?!”

I find it ironic how some people who decree the evils of racism can wield the sword of prejudice so easily and not see the obvious contradiction.

Groups should be able to have differing political views without being impugned in such a way. And this was the case at a recent debate on district voting sponsored by both the Fayette County Issues Tea Party and the local NAACP chapter.

This event was well-attended by citizens and members of both organizations and was respectful and cordial — far from being “Taliban-like.”

Additionally, unlike Mr. Bond, I have gotten to know many of the leaders within the Tea Party here in Georgia. I have talked with them, prayed with them, and cried with them. Our families have come to know one another and we have grown together, and I know the vast majority of them are fighting for our country’s future and my children’s future. And anyone who fights for my children is a friend to me.

So, once again, I find myself pushing back against voices that misunderstand, or misrepresent conservatives and Tea Party organizations.

For, I am a voice and an example, which elucidates the fallacies of the critics’ arguments. Rather than being the open-minded and intellectually honest individuals such critics espouse to be, they are choosing to believe the stereotypes and the caricatures of what it means to be a conservative.

Fortunately, we will continue to believe and hope for this country and are willing to endure even the attacks of the IRS in order to fight for it.

[Bonnie B. Willis is co-founder of The Willis Group, LLC, a Learning, Development, and Life Coaching company here in Fayette County and lives in Fayetteville along with her husband and their five children.]

albion
albion's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/27/2005
And there it is

Issa is now unwilling to reveal the truth. His integrity, questionable to begin with, has now been revealed to be virtually non-existent. The hype, the grandstanding, the partisan hackery of this guy is truly shameful.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2013/06/11/2141071/darrell-issa-refuse...

stranger than f...
stranger than fiction's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/27/2012
Naivete on display!
Bonnie Willis wrote:

As someone who has been a member of the Tea Party for more than two years, I have never been part of a meeting strategizing about getting a politician elected.

Perhaps you slept through the county commissioner election last year.

albion
albion's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/27/2005
The so-called scandal

Will ultimately be revealed as another example of manufactured outrage. The tax exempt status of these political fundraising organizations is the real issue. Investigating their legitimacy is good use of IRS resources. The SCOTUS decision on Citizens United opened the floodgates.

Groups naming themselves in honor of a destructive demonstration against tax policy seems like a good way of getting noticed by the people enforcing the tax code.

S. Lindsey
S. Lindsey's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2008
Go crawl back under that rock... albion...

You are not being targeted... yet.

Maybe one day you will be then I bet you will scream "UNFAIR" and the rest of us will yawn....

albion
albion's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/27/2005
I'm yawning now SL

I'm not in the process of having my qualifications reviewed, to declare myself tax-exempt, and likely never will be.

All applications for 501 (c)(3) and (c)(4) status deserve scrutiny. So it now appears that some low level civil servants used search criteria that could be construed as biased. Suggestions that this amounts to intimidation by the administration can only be believed or accepted if you don't need facts to reach your conclusion.

Even as the facts of these so-called scandals are revealed to be a tempest in a teapot, conspiracy hounds will never accept that there's not something else and then something else and then something else again. How many times do you have to come up empty before you accept that there is no "there" there?

S. Lindsey
S. Lindsey's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2008
You should yawn albion...

...that is until the next administration comes in, one that you might not agree with and maybe uses the powers you so easily give up to Government to investigate people like you.

Who says it has to be groups...why not individuals that disagree with the Powers that be...?

Go ahead and go back to sleep albion...

Oh and btw- How do you like the violations of the 1st, 4th and 14th that this Administration has already committed?

IRS abusing their powers...

The Justice Dept wiretapping reporters...

Seems like you have a lot to yawn about...

albion
albion's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/27/2005
Wide awake

And aware that you have no facts to support assertions of constitutional violations.

It's ironic that R's are foaming at mouth over this and saying their should be no profiling, when in other circumstances they are perfectly OK with singling people out for driving while black, crossing borders while Hispanic, flying while Muslim, etc.

Oh and by the way, none of the applications were denied. None. There are no problems with the questions being asked of these applicants. Some of the questions eliciting outrage had already been eliminated by the IRS prior to this kerfuffle. No irregularities and no inappropriate activity. I for one welcome this level of oversight and screening and would not have an issue with being asked legitimate questions, that have always been asked of political entities wishing to receive tax exempt status.

Unqualified political groups may find themselves in trouble for lying to the IRS as additional IG reporting finds them to be purely political and not "social welfare" organizations.

"Targeting" is a deliberately pejorative term being used to describe an otherwise bureaucratic paper shuffling process.

Next!

S. Lindsey
S. Lindsey's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2008
Wow just wow....

No facts????

Well ok here it goes...

Violation of the 1st Amendment

FREEDOM OF THE PRESS
The right, guaranteed by the first amendment to the U.S. Constitution, to gather, publish, and distribute information and ideas without government restriction; this right encompasses freedom from prior restraints on publication and freedom from censorship.

The Justice department particularly Holder lying to a Judge to get Wiretapping warrants and then going on a witch hunt on Fox and the AP is clearly a violation of the 1st. The Press is specifically names in the 1st. Giving them special rights to pursue information yes even from Government sources. The Justice Dept going after not only the organizations but individuals is clearly in violation.

Violation of the 4th Amendment...

The Right to be secure in our papers(emails)against unlawful seizure.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Holder lied about the presses actions... and then tried to force a Federal Judge to keep them from revealing the warrant details against Federal Law.
The press having special considerations must be informed of the warrant. So that they may state their case in front of said Judge. This didn't happen. Clearly another violation of the Constitution.

Well here you go albion two cases of The "Justice" Department overreaching in a Administration wide attempt to silence whistle blowers on this Administration.

These are but two instances of Holder lying to either cover up events or violating the Constitution.

Holder also has filed a suit against Arizona's immigration law in a Court with no standing. He knows this yet he is trying to yet again usurp the Constitution which clearly gives jurisdiction to the SCOTUS.

Drones against US Citizens...

Violation of the Supremacy Clause...

Violation of the 10th Amendment...

On and on and on....

Wake up albion and smell the BS you are shoveling.

albion
albion's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/27/2005
A living example ...

...of the paranoid style. Conspiracies abound!

Your repeated citations of constitutional amendments are tiresome. The Constitution itself is interesting and informative. Civic minded citizens should take the time to read and understand its meaning.

Your insulting responses notwithstanding, these issues (off topic as they are) should be judged on the facts and not in YOUR court of public opinion.

Opinions, confirmed and reinforced in a death spiral of fear, assert that when power is held by liberals it is sinister and malicious. You express your distorted views of the consequences of power and fail to observe the actual world. One of the most valuable things about history is that it teaches us how things DO NOT happen.

Perhaps if you made an attempt to be civil we could have a meaningful exchange of ideas.

S. Lindsey
S. Lindsey's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2008
Can't have a civil discussion...

...with someone who states

albion wrote:

The Constitution itself is interesting and informative.

instead of the the Constitution is the law the Government must follow.

If you can't argue facts albion there can not be a discussion...to you when I state a fact like the IRS targeted over 400 Teaparty groups, Religious groups, Jewish Groups, any group with Patriot in it's name or any group that taught the Constitution... You come back and say

albion wrote:

yawn

.

How about countering with how many Liberal groups where targeted...Oh right you can't because none where.

Tell you what you attempt to make an actual argument and I will destroy it the next time....How about that.

Oh and btw-noticed you failed to counter a single argument that was made just some drivel about paranoia blah, blah, blah....

Tell you what you get a milligan... Tee it up and try it again... Maybe you won't whiff the next one.

Oh one more thing this is gone way past just the "R"s the "D"s are upset as well...

IRS Scandal Letters: Other Offices Sent Requests To Target Tea Party Groups, NBC News Reports
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/28/irs-scandal-letters_n_3349174.html

That's right the HUFFINGTON POST wrote that....

Oh and this from the ACLU and CNN...

(CNN) -- The extraordinary revelation this week that the Internal Revenue Service targeted tea party groups for more aggressive enforcement highlights exactly why caution is needed in any response to the much-vilified Supreme Court decision in Citizens United v. FEC.
It also shows how all Americans, from the most liberal to the most conservative, should closely guard their First Amendment rights, and why giving the government too much power to limit political speech will inevitably result in selective enforcement against unpopular groups.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/12/opinion/macleod-ball-irs-tea-party/

To the agency's credit, Lois Lerner, a senior official at the IRS, apologized on Friday for these unconstitutional practices, which are as unseemly as the Bush administration's targeting of the NAACP and the House of Representatives' defunding of Planned Parenthood on purely political grounds.

Hmmmm... I wonder what they apologized for?

albion
albion's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/27/2005
There's nothing to argue about

You continue to confuse assertions, opinion and baseless allegations with evidence. When you can cite some actual substantive facts, by all means, come back to the discussion, and do try to stay on topic. Your comments are speculative and spurious and will ultimately be proven to be much ado...

Scandal mongering is an effective tactic for drawing attention away from the train wreck that is today's Republican Party. Out of touch, out of ideas and soon to be out of power and influence. 2014 looms large for Republican Congress persons. I imagine that level of disenfranchisement is scary.

S. Lindsey
S. Lindsey's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2008
...and yet you have yet to produce one single argument.

A lot of talk, rhetoric and denial but no facts or arguments other then assertions that I am just paranoid.

Really?

Even the IRS acknowledged the facts albion... Even the Liberal Media acknowledged the facts albion...

Even the Democrats in Congress acknowledged the facts albion.

Not you...nope. It's all Right Winged Paranoia.

Like your avatar, a fish that lives in it's own little World, so do you.

Fact...
The IRS targeted certain political groups for "extra" scrutiny.

Fact...
The IRS targeted those groups only aligned to the Conservative side of the spectrum.

Fact..
The IRS lied about doing so.

Fact..
The IRS once caught said it was only some low level staffers that was a little over zealous.

Fact..
The IRS had to admit that the scrutiny was much more wide spread then they admitted to.

Fact..
The IRS had to admit that they knew about the "over zealous" (their words) treatment of certain political groups long before this year and in fact knew about them as far back as 2011 and into 2012.

Fact...
The IRS had to admit that they held up some of the applications for over 18 months well past the elections.

Fact...
The IRS had to admit that they DID NOT hold Progressive groups to the SAME scrutiny and the average time frame to approve those groups was 30 days.

Fact..
The IRS had to admit that the questions asked of Conservative groups were not in fact asked of Progressive groups even though those same groups were essentially the EXACT same group just a different ideology.

These are facts that have come up in testimony albion.. REAL FACTS.

Now unless you assert that the IRS officials are lying to Congress which is a real probability, I doubt that they would testify to wrongs committed by themselves.

Argue that...

btw-Albion go ahead and board that train that is Fast and Furious headed to Bengazhi, making calls listened to by the Justice Dept after being audited by the IRS.

Yep... that's a great train to be on. You might want to Google Earth the tracks ahead of you there though. I bet there is a bridge out ahead of you...

albion
albion's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/27/2005
An objective review of the facts...

is in order. Not the same thing as an argument. Though this does appear to be the right room for one .

The IRS’s role is to determine whether an organization meets the legal requirements for tax-exempt status. One requirement relates to the amount of political activity that tax-exempt organizations may engage in. 501(c)(3) organizations are prohibited from engaging in any political activity. Other organizations like (501(c)(4)'s may only engage in a limited amount of political activity.

They selected cases using identified selection criteria. This indicates a beauracracy attempting to be be consistent and efficient, rather than malevolence. It is not a fact they targeted only conservative groups.

Roughly 23% of the applications received, during the timeframe under scrutiny, included some variant of the Tea Party in the name of the organization. Recognizing the pattern they took some short cuts, which may give an impression of impropriety, but not illegality. They self corrected this.

There were admitted delays, and inconsistencies, but not evidence of political bias, and eventually the applications were approved. Here's the list of approved applications:

http://www.irs.gov/PUP/newsroom/Approved%20Tax%20Exempt%20Applications%2...

Your word of the day - Conflation:
When the identities of two or more individuals, concepts, or places, sharing some characteristics of one another, seem to be a single identity — the differences appear to become lost. In logic, it is the practice of treating two distinct concepts as if they were one, which produces errors or misunderstandings as a fusion of distinct subjects tends to obscure analysis of relationships which are emphasized by contrasts. However, if the distinctions between the two concepts appear to be superficial, intentional conflation may be desirable for the sake of conciseness and recall.

PTC Observer
PTC Observer's picture
Online
Joined: 04/23/2007
Albion - Wager

I'll wager that the Tea Party targeting is merely the tip of a very big iceberg.

The problem? The idea that once elected, the President believes that he has complete use of the bureaucracy, its power to punish opposition and a tool to advance his agenda.

He has a national press that supports this notion and by professional neglect they have become victims of this arrogance. This spying too will be found to be more widespread.

Our fear should not be the fact that Mr. Obama's administration is doing these things, our fear should be that he can do it.

Then we have the question of either incompetence or neglect in the Fast and Furious, Boston Bombing and Benghazi "issues".

Mr. Obama is now a Lame Duck President, he will simply be fighting fires from this point until the end of his presidency.

S. Lindsey
S. Lindsey's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2008
Pseudo-Intellectualism and hypocrisy

Simply put it was not about the scrutiny albion and you know it... It is however about the IRS targeting one side of the political spectrum for that scrutiny.

You stated there were Liberal groups that came under the same scrutiny and I asked you to name them and you didn't and the reason is... you can't because it didn't happen.

Face it albion you approve of using the power of Government under the threat of a gun to push your ideological agenda, that is, as long as, it is YOUR political agenda.

albion
albion's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/27/2005
Believe what you will SL

If at any time the facts support prosecution of IRS criminal wrongdoing, I'll support that.

You seem to have more info than the IG and Darrel Issa, so please share the complete list of groups that came under scrutiny, and then didn't have their applications denied. Boy that would be riveting!

When this blows over, and it will, you'll no doubt still see a dangerous gummint out to get you and yours. Good luck with that.

Who exactly from our elected government, or their appointees or employees, is threatening you with guns to accept an agenda you don't agree with? I worry more about the effects of your unhinged rhetoric than I do about jackbooted government thugs. Get a grip!

S. Lindsey
S. Lindsey's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2008
If you don't pay your taxes what happens?

Oh right the IRS will show up and arrest you.

So the Force of Government is used under threat of a gun.

Simple answer for simple minds....

albion
albion's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/27/2005
That's not a threat

It's the same treatment anyone might receive for breaking the law.

Actually if you don't pay your taxes, the IRS allows you to postpone payments, offers you a payment plan, including penalties and interest of course. If you continue to not pay, you may expect wage garnishment. Keep refusing and YOU choose to escalate it to the crime of tax evasion. So you had better submit your return.

All of which has nothing to do with a political agenda.

S. Lindsey
S. Lindsey's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2008
You keep believing that...

... tell you what try calling them and telling them to stick their forms where the sun doesn't shine.

Betcha get a visit from someone with a gun... Just saying.

If you don't want to pay those taxes what happens? You get arrested how is that arrest effected?

Simple answers for simple minds...

Oh and btw-The IRS has now got another scandal on it's hands...My.. my.. my what a tangle web we weave when we practice to deceive.

Oh and one more thing I firmly do believe you worry more about me practicing my 1st Amendment rights then you do the overreach of Government.

albion
albion's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/27/2005
Your free to speak your mind...

here or anywhere you like. The 1st Amendment has no bearing on my difference of opinion with you.

This is a common misperception about free speech. You are free to say any stupid thing you want, but shouldn't be surprised when others challenge your credulity, particularly with regard to manufactured outrage. I am not abridging your freedom of speech by disagreeing with you.

albion
albion's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/27/2005
Your free to speak your mind...

here or anywhere you like. The 1st Amendment has no bearing on my difference of opinion with you.

This is a common misperception about free speech. You are free to say any stupid thing you want, but shouldn't be surprised when others challenge your credulity, particularly with regard to manufactured outrage. I am not abridging your freedom of speech by disagreeing with you.

Davids mom
Davids mom's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/30/2005
SL-Abuse by IRS

I answered in May.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/05/irs-targeted-naacp-in-2004-91284.html

and even more groups have been reported since then. The IRS has been overstepping its boundaries for a long, long time. (At the behest of J.Edgar Hoover/ Bobby Kennedy - and others - long before Holder was on the scene.)

Wrong - yes. Can it be corrected? Maybe under this president it is possible. We'll see. Thanks Tea Party for bringing this to the forefront.

S. Lindsey
S. Lindsey's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2008
I know DM I am speaking of slightly more current...

...events then 2004. Albion said Liberal groups were targeted as well. I wanted him/her/it to specify which groups they were. He/She/It hasn't done so and cannot.

Like I said to albion it is not about the scrutiny it is however about the groups targeted and the time they delayed the classifications UNTIL AFTER THE ELECTIONS... FACTS that the IRS and most Democrats doesn't deny only albion does.

Davids mom
Davids mom's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/30/2005
SL-Abuse by IRS 2

I understand your point - but most papers (media) don't publish the investigation of the Catholic Church, the Mega Churches, the many 'social groups' in Las Vegas and other parts of our country that host 'private gambling games', etc. My point is what the IRS has been doing for years and years is not 'right' - but is it illegal under our current law? An interesting and complex issue is Citizens United.

Davids mom
Davids mom's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/30/2005
Some thoughts to ponder

Why did Woodard and the other reporter not use their telephones when meeting with the 'watergate' informer? Any journalist/reporter who is not suspicious of security/ privacy of today's technology should be in another profession. Under the current law- the practice ( listening in on conversations looking for possible illegal 'leaks') may be outrageous, but not illegal. We'll see what the courts say.

S. Lindsey
S. Lindsey's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2008
You are not serious are you?
Davids mom wrote:

Under the current law- the practice ( listening in on conversations looking for possible illegal 'leaks') may be outrageous, but not illegal.

DM a court order MUST be obtained before a wiretap can be initiated inside the US. If the DA, in this case Holder, lied about the justifications for that wiretap the he can be held criminally liable.

Davids mom
Davids mom's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/30/2005
If. SL

IF is the operative word here. Are you assuming something not as yet in evidence? Yup -I'm serious.

S. Lindsey
S. Lindsey's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2008
Well yes...

...it is clear Holder lied to obtain the wiretapping warrant on Rosen... Remember he first said he knew nothing about it and wouldn't condone such acts...then later had to admit he signed the orders ONLY AFTER the documents surfaced.

He would have never denied knowledge of the act if he was confident that his actions were legal. He knew they would not hold up to the light of day.

He lied to Congress and he lied to the Judge.

He is going down as a scapegoat for the Administration...

Davids mom
Davids mom's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/30/2005
Wiretapping - legality

Is this your understanding ?

Privacy tip: Voice communications have more legal protection.
Under the Wiretap Act, although a wiretap order is needed to intercept your email and other electronic communications, only your oral and wire communications — that is, voice communications — are covered by the statute's exclusionary rule. So, for example, if your phone calls are illegally intercepted, that evidence can't be introduced against you in a criminal trial, but the statute won't prevent the introduction of illegally intercepted emails and text messages.

An interception is any acquisition of the contents of any oral, wire, or electronic communication using any mechanical or electronic device — for example, using a microphone or a tape recorder to intercept your oral communications, or using computer software or hardware to monitor your Internet and phone communications. Wiretap law does not protect you from government eavesdroppers that are just using their ears.

Although the government may get a super-warrant to "intercept" your communications, it is not allowed to prevent your communications from occurring. For example, the government can't prevent your calls from being connected, block your emails and their attachments, or otherwise interfere with your communications based on an intercept order. In fact, if their goal is to gather intelligence on you by tapping your communications, it will not be in their best interest to interfere in your communications and possibly tip you off to their surveillance, which might prompt you to use another communications method that may be more difficult to tap.

Davids mom
Davids mom's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/30/2005
PTCO

I know, I know - sometimes it's a stretch just to 'think' rather than reply to the well researched and thoughtful responses of some of the postings here. It is not too much of a stretch to see the connection between IRS investigation and AP investigation. It is not too much of a stretch to realize that much of the information garnered is from LEGAL wire tapping, etc. (There are 'secret' methods of gaining information from Joe Public that we are not even aware of today,) If anyone here feels they are 'free' from this type of 'intrusion' into their personal lives, just research how what you do on the internet is used by corporations who want your business. True, I should have posted this under an article relating to AP scandal - but I posted it here - and you saw it. The IRS will probably use for evidence the 'postings'/conversations of some Tea Party officials who openly supported 'candidates' and/or 'political parties. (And under our current law - if they were suspected of breaking the law which entitled an organization to 501c3 status - it was legal.) Been their/done that in 2004 - and was audited! (Found out that the government even owed me more money - so not too much to complain about)

Quote:

btw-Albion go ahead and board that train that is Fast and Furious headed to Bengazhi, making calls listened to by the Justice Dept after being audited by the IRS.

LOL - slight connection here - but it would require some thought I guess.

PTC Observer
PTC Observer's picture
Online
Joined: 04/23/2007
DM - OK

Thanks, just thought I missed your connected thought process.

My opinion is and it doesn't mean much, that Mr. Obama from this point forward is a lame duck. He won't be able to get anything through Congress. When he lost the gun issue he was self-neutralized by overreach. Not that I support the Republicans but they have been wiping the floor in each of the elections since Mr. Obama was elected, including state governors.

The next mid-term is not likely to go well for the Democrats and it is only the Republican's stupidity that can stop the trend toward more conservative government. It's all in the demographics DM, however it doesn't mean we will have a "better" government. It only means that different hands will be in all of our pockets.

A pox on both their houses.

Davids mom
Davids mom's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/30/2005
PTCO
Quote:

A pox on both their houses

I think we, the people will suffer the marks from the 'pox'. :-(

PTC Observer
PTC Observer's picture
Online
Joined: 04/23/2007
DM - Pondering

How your posted response has anything to do with the IRS issue and list of "facts" outlined by Lindsey.

Care to enlighten us on your thought process?

albion
albion's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/27/2005
Oops

Repeat submission deleted

conditon55
conditon55's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/12/2010
The IRS

The way I heard it, even liberal groups were examined by the IRS.

The IRs offical who testified at congress objected to the idea of targeting anyone. He stated flat out, no one was targeted. B ut that is not how it is projected inthe press. Which brings me to the other myth of the 'liberal' press.

Seems to me like the Tea Party was trying to scam the system by claiming tax exempt status as a primarily 'educational' organization. Really ? Not a primarily political organziation ? Don't they put up candidates for public office ?

Isn't it the job of the IRS to valiate these claims?

We are seeing a lot of GOP grandstanding on this one. Seems the like rules, as long as they do not need to follow them.

Seems a lot like a circus side show to make political hay.

Iheard of absolutely no injury to the tea party other than they got asked a lot of questions !!! Mostly focusing on their claimed 'educational' activities. Incredible. You would think they had been stabbed inthe heart.

Seems like the IRS did thier job. And godo job.

What I think it points out once again, is the opportunity to do tax code revision. I heard not a single GOP senator call for discussion of tax code revision. And why not? Seems like they only bring it up when it is politically expedient to do so.

S. Lindsey
S. Lindsey's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2008
The way I heard it..C55?

Ok name one Liberal group that was asked what is the content of your prayers?

Name one Liberal group that was asked to give a list of all of their donors and who they are employed by.

Name one Liberal group that was asked to provide the name of every member in the organization their roles, salaries, co-workers and families.

well the way I heard it C55 is you are trying to spin a story because you know where this is headed and you are just a little bit worried.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2323978/Revealed-The-55-question...

Go ahead and excuse tyranny C55 it is after all what Progressives do best.

Davids mom
Davids mom's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/30/2005
Ther's more than one Lindsey

2004 - NAACP; the African Methodist Episcopal Church, The Baptist Ccurch (Black), the Catholic Church, some Jewish Synagogues , La Raza, etc., etc., etc. During the Civil Rights movement, these organizations and many others were investigated and audited in order to keep their 501c3 status. They had to prove that their membership was not backing a particular candidate, etc. It is an intimidating and supposedly unlawful practice, but it is nothing new. Now that a predominantly 'majority' group has been targeted, maybe the outrage of our current president will get this practice stopped.

Davids mom
Davids mom's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/30/2005
Check this out fot validation
S. Lindsey
S. Lindsey's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2008
Dm I am not doubting your statement...

....However just because it has happened in the past is not validation for it happening now.

Additionally this was much more wide spread and targeted.

Either way it was wrong if the IRS was used to intimidate the NAACP then just as it is wrong for them to do so now...

It is time for all Americans to say enough is enough.... Stop the games, stop the political dirty tricks and get rid of bureaucratic agencys that use intimidation as weapons against anyone.

It is not the function of Government to force it's citizens into some sort of mindless drone think.

In 2004 Charlie Rangel said this:

Rangel wrote:

Rep. Charles Rangel, the top Democrat on the Ways and Means Committee at the time, called the audit a police state tactic

What has he said about this one?

Rangel wrote:

He suggested that conservative groups filing for tax-exempt status as social welfare groups actually do deserve government scrutiny, but that government employees also did a poor job of applying the law. But Rangel had a cringeworthy way of making his point.

"I mean, this is wrong to abuse the tax system," he said.

I mean that's the pot calling the kettle black....

S. Lindsey
S. Lindsey's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2008
Yep and 9 years later...here we are again....

... Using the IRS as a Political strong arm to intimidate political adversaries is never correct or good for the Nation.

The IRS has little trust anyway this erases what little they ever had with the America people.

I just love the way some on the left are trying to spin it this way or that way trying to get some sort of traction to make it appear it never really happened.

I actually heard a pundit on MSNBC say the reason the President appears to be out of touch with the Office of President and seems to never learn of these events until the press reveals them is because he is just too COOL.

I kid you not. The President is just too "cool" and laid back to be bothered by these things and he has managers to handle those things...

Amazing.......

Cyclist
Cyclist's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/15/2007
Well condition55;

why is the IRS apologizing?

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Internal Revenue Service apologized Friday for what it acknowledged was “inappropriate” targeting of conservative political groups during the 2012 election to see if they were violating their tax-exempt status.

IRS agents singled out dozens of organizations for additional reviews because they included the words “tea party” or “patriot” in their exemption applications, said Lois Lerner, who heads the IRS division that oversees tax-exempt groups. In some cases, groups were asked for lists of donors, which violates IRS policy in most cases, she said.

S. Lindsey
S. Lindsey's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2008
Tea Party, Jewish Groups, Christian Groups and many others...

....anyone that might disagree with this administration. Even groups teaching the Constitution were targeted...

Yet the media just ignored the story UNTIL they found out that they themselves were targeted for wiretaps... NOW there is a story.

We already know the President's disdain for the Tea Party apparently the IRS took their cues from him.

Davids mom
Davids mom's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/30/2005
SL

I"ve been enjoying the weather - and not keeping up! :-)

Quote:

....anyone that might disagree with this administration

IMO - this has been a tactic used by the IRS against any group that did not support the administration in power.

Or got in the gun sights of J. Edgar Hoover or Robert Kennedy

Recent Comments