Peachtree City UPDATES – Week of Feb. 28, 2011
This Thursday's Council Agenda, home safety reminders, path & pet rules, and a path closure behind K-Mart . . .
City Council Meets March 3
The Mayor & City Council have a long agenda this week, including a rezoning request (LUR-13 to GR) for Newgate Rd, Amendments to GC Zoning, a resolution to form a City Facilities Authority, funding the Kedron Bubble replacement, the FY 2011 Economic Development Budget, new Building Permit fee schedule, and appointment of the new City Manager. View the complete agenda and packet at www.peachtree-city.org/councilagenda. Residents can also watch the meeting live or on demand on the City’s web site at www.peachtree-city.org/video.
Community Safety Reminder – Report Suspicious Activity
A burglary incident last week in a Peachtree City neighborhood reminds us all to be vigilant in reporting suspicious activity to the Police Department. The Peachtree City Police Department reminds all residents of these basic crime prevention tips:
• Keep doors (home, garage, out buildings, and vehicles) closed and locked at all times - even when you're home.
• Turn garage door openers off at night. Most newer models have a switch on the wall control to either lock the system down or turn the power off.
• Pick up mail and newspapers – these may make it look like no one is at home. If you leave town, have a friend or neighbor pick up these items for you.
• If you leave valuables in vehicles, place them out of sight – under a seat, in the glove box or console, in the trunk, etc.
• Call 911 or 770-461-HELP (4357) ANY TIME you see or hear something suspicious. MANY crimes have been prevented or solved and several people have found themselves in jail based on citizen reports of mundane suspicious activity.
• If an incident occurs, refrain from touching anything at the crime scene and call 911 immediately.
Reporting Streetlight Problems
Streetlights play an important role in neighborhood and driving safety. Residents who have streetlights out in their neighborhoods should report the problem to their power company. Streetlight outages on major roadways can be reported to Public Works if you are unsure of the power company serving that area. Links to both power companies’ online reporting service is available at www.peachtree-city.org/index.aspx?NID=809.
Cart Path & Pet Rules Reminders
• All dogs must be on leash on Peachtree City’s cart paths. Drake Field is now the only “voice command” location for dogs, and dogs off leash must obey voice commands at this location. Cleaning up after pets is mandatory in Peachtree City parks, including Drake Field.
• When walking dogs on the path, please keep pets off private property and clean up after dogs on the paths. Do not allow pet leashes to extend across the path.
• Golf cart drivers and cyclists are required to give an audible signal when approaching a pedestrian from behind.
• Pedestrians – please remain alert to golf carts and cyclists sharing the paths and do not allow headphones to block your hearing of oncoming traffic.
Buy Design Jewelry Show – Booth Space Still Available
The 2nd annual Buy Design Jewelry Expo will be held at Kedron Fieldhouse on Saturday, March 12. A few booth spaces remain - all jewelry must be hand crafted by the artists. Applications are available at the Recreation Administration Building, 191 McIntosh Tr., and at Kedron Fieldhouse, 202 Kedron Dr. Please contact Ashley Alonso at 770-631-2542 or email@example.com for more information.
Police Department hosting Spring CERT Class – Registration Underway
The PTC Police Department is hosting a Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) class beginning Thursday, April 14. Classes will be held Thursdays for 10 weeks from 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. The CERT program provides an excellent opportunity to learn about how to prepare yourself and your family for hazards that may affect our community. Candidates must be at least 18 years old and residents of Georgia. There is no charge to attend the class; however, class size will be limited to 22 participants. Applications are available at www.peachtree-city.org/CERT and are due by April 7..
Path Connection to K-MART closed for reconstruction – the Public Works crews have closed Path #803 behind K-Mart at Braelinn Village Shopping Center for reconstruction this week. Path users can still access the shopping center via other connections behind the center.
Don’t Forget . . .
Fayette County Commission Workshop – Tuesday, March 2, 3:30 p.m., in the Commission Chambers at 140 Stonewall Avenue, Suite 100, in Fayetteville. Commission agendas are posted at www.fayettecountyga.gov/administration/BOC/county_commission_meetings.htm.
City Council Regular Meeting – Thursday, March 3, 7:00 p.m., at City Hall. The public is welcome.
American Red Cross Community Blood Drive – Friday, March 4, 9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. at The Gathering Place. Walk-ins are welcome or call “1-800-give life” to make an appointment. Volunteers are also needed for canteen and registration. The Gathering Place holds community-wide blood drives on the first Friday of each month
Music for Meals Fundraiser Dinner - Monday, March 7, CANCELLED due to a scheduling conflict with the performers. Visit www.FayetteLifeEnrichment.org.