No injuries, quick fix in gas leak at Marnelle Mobile Home Park
A natural gas leak at the Marnelle Mobile Home Park on Ga. Highway 54 West Tuesday morning was contained less than 30 minutes after it had been reported. A small number of residences were evacuated before an Atlanta Gas worker cut off the supply of natural gas to a meter that had been damaged.
Fayette County Fire and Emergency Services incident commander Doug Morris said a 911 caller had reported the leak just before 9 a.m. The leak was discovered behind the leasing office near the front of the mobile home park, Morris said.
Nearby residents were evacuated until the leak could be plugged. That did not take long as an Atlanta Gas employee arrived shortly after 9 a.m. and had the leak plugged by 9:15 a.m.
Though the circumstances are currently unknown, Morris said the gas meter at the rear of the building had been damaged, possibly having been struck by a vehicle.
There were no injuries in the incident.