Local man killed in S. Fayette collision

Deputies: other driver ran stop sign prior to crash

A Fayetteville man was killed this morning in a two-vehicle crash at the intersection of McBride and Antioch roads in south Fayette County, according to the Fayette County Sheriff’s Office.

James Buck, 55, was driving a 2004 Toyota Sequoia

when his vehicle was struck by a 1995 Nissan Altima as he entered the intersection at approximately 8:50 a.m., sheriff’s officials said.

The Altima driver, identified as Joshua Williams, 18, of Fayetteville, failed to stop at a stop sign, according to sheriff’s deputies.

The collision caused Buck’s SUV to leave the road and overturn, ejecting him from the vehicle.

Buck was not wearing his seatbelt at the time of the crash, and he was pronounced dead at the scene, sheriff’s officials said.

Williams and a passenger in his vehicle, James Massey, 16, of Fayetteville, were both taken to area hospitals by Fayette County emergency medical crews. Their injuries were not believed to be life-threatening, officials said.

Prior to the crash, Buck’s SUV was traveling northward on Antioch Road and Williams was traveling eastbound on McBride Road, according to the sheriff’s office.

Charges are expected to be filed in connection with the crash, officials said. The incident is being investigated by the Traffic Enforcement Section of the Fayette County Sheriff’s Office.

Cyclist
Cyclist's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/15/2007
Fatal crash last Oct

In case anyone was wondering, the Altima driver was cited for:

40-6-72(B) FAILURE TO STOP FOR STOP SIGN and 40-6-393(c) HOMICIDE BY VEHICLE (1st DEGREE)

Source: Fayette County - Superior Court Clerk

ilovemyfirefighter
ilovemyfirefighter's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/28/2010
Please pray for both of these

Please pray for both of these families.

schief
schief's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/14/2010
pray

i have known james for several years and i know he would want you to pray for 2 boys and their families as well as his family. let the sheriff's dept. investigate what happened and publish facts.

mahoney08
mahoney08's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/14/2010
You people are unbelievable!

Its a sad day, when people (grown adults) take it upon themselves to talk ugly about two teenage boys, who were in a terrible car accident. SHAME ON ALL OF YOU!! Every single one of us has been speeding and/or ran a stop sign in our lives, and you were just lucky that YOU didn't hit anyone!! NO ONE IN THIS WORLD OR ON THIS BLOG BOARD IS PERFECT, SO GET OFF IT AND QUIT ACTING LIKE U YOU ARE!! Parents: you have no idea what your childern are doing and/or how they drive when your not with them. Take note: this could be your child one day, who made a mistake! SO WATCH WHAT YOU SAY ABOUT OTHER KIDS, BC YOUR CHILDERN WILL MAKE LOTS OF MISTAKES THEMSELVES! My thoughts and prayers are with the two boys and Mr. Bucks family!

rkm
rkm's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/12/2010
agree with mahoney 08

thank you.

onewhocares
onewhocares's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/30/2007
..

..

onewhocares
onewhocares's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/30/2007
I agree with mahoney08

I see Grown adults all the time running stop signs and lights in PTC or even swerving like idiots in and out of traffic as if they are too good to have to drive behind someone else.

Cyclist
Cyclist's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/15/2007
I see Grown adults all the time....

running stop signs and lights in PTC or even swerving like idiots in and out of traffic as if they are too good to have to drive behind someone else.

Im shocked!!!!!!

airplane fixer
airplane fixer's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/13/2010
Josh Williams

Our prayers go out to the Buck Family. We have known Josh for several years that hangs out with my son. He has always been a very respectable young man. He is now a senior in high school that had plans for his future. He may have made a mistake for his actions, but that is why they call them an accident. Jail will not bring Mr. Buck back this is somthing Josh has to live with the rest of his life. We pray for the health of the two students and bless the Buck family for what they are going through. Bless the students that have to make adult descison at such a young age.

AtHomeGym
AtHomeGym's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/18/2007
Airplane Fixer & Decisions

Sounds like you would support raising the legal age for driving in Georgia. But even that wouldn't prevent individuals from making bad decisions. Sometimes, youths learn much from having to make adult-type decisions. I know that when I drove a 40-passenger school bus in my 16th and 17th yrs, I learned a lot.

bladderq
bladderq's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/02/2005
Another Time Another Accident

Thinking back to a similar situation that occurred in 1963; I wonder if the statute of limitations has expired. A 17 year old girl ran a stop sign in West TX and I doubt that community was so harsh. Can we go back and put her in jail? No charges were even filed. Should she have been deprived of becoming a librarian and First Lady?
How many of us have been to a funeral where the Baptist preacher says, “We do not understand why God has allowed this to happen but we do know it is His plan and will.” Where is that faith on this page? Masha'allah

mistermister
mistermister's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/11/2010
So well said. It gave me

So well said. It gave me chills. Thank you!

Mrs. Bush ran stop sign in fatal crash

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - Details in a 1963 accident report say that Laura Bush, then 17, ran a stop sign in the Texas crash that killed a friend in another car. The report, adding information to previous reports of the crash, was released to The Associated Press on Wednesday.

Mrs. Bush now is the wife of Republican presidential nominee-to-be George W. Bush, the Texas governor.

''It was a very tragic accident that deeply affected the families and was very painful for all involved, including the community at large,'' said Mrs. Bush's spokesman, Andrew Malcolm. ''To this day, Mrs. Bush remains unable to talk about it.''

She did say in March, when asked at a campaign stop about the crash, ''I know this as an adult, and even more as a parent, it was crushing ... for the family involved and for me as well.''

There had been published accounts of the accident, but city officials had declined to release the records because those involved were under 18. The police report was released Wednesday in response to an open-records request that was submitted to Midland officials in March.

According to the two-page accident report, Laura Welch was driving her Chevrolet sedan on a clear night shortly after 8 p.m. on Nov. 6, 1963, when she drove into an intersection and struck a Corvair sedan driven by 17-year-old Michael Douglas.

Although previous news accounts have reported Douglas was thrown from the car and broke his neck, those details were not in the report.

The speed of Laura Bush's car was illegible on the report. The speed limit for the road was 55.

Laura Bush and her passenger, Judy Dykes, also 17, were taken to a hospital and treated for minor injuries, according to an accident account printed at the time in the Midland Reporter-Telegram.

The police report indicates no charges were filed. That section of the report was left blank.

''As far as we know, no charges were filed,'' said Midland city attorney Keith Stretcher. ''I don't think it's unusual that charges weren't filed.''

mistermister
mistermister's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/11/2010
Let he who is without sin.....

Nothing that you do, or say is going to bring back Mr. Buck.

It angers me to see so many hypocrites on here playing judge and jury. Who are you to judge?

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

The young man that was driving has to live with this for the rest of his life! Imagine what the families of these young men are dealing with right now. What gives you the right to come on this message board and preach your opinion as if it were the gospel?

Why weren't they in school?.... Is that really any of your business? The only people entitled to this information are the parents, the family of the victim, the police, and the school. Yet some of you feel the need to pollute this message board with your own assumptions of what the kids were doing. This isn't your place.

The passenger in the car was a 16 year old kid! He has been in ICU for two days! He is also a victim here. The families of all parties involved are victims. Please take this into account when climbing upon your internet soapboxes to poison the readers with your spiteful, ridiculous, self-righteous illusions.

Please be respectful to the families of the victims (yes victims). I don't understand the pleasure that you must get from twisting the knives that have already been buried into the hearts of these poor souls.

I can't imagine why some deranged person with a personal vendetta against the second victim in the crash (the passenger) would post an arrest record from an unrelated occurrence.

Littleolme.. What is wrong with you? Do you need attention that badly? What does this prove? This is prejudice! It's no different from presenting evidence from an unrelated case in hopes to sway the decision of the jury.

Commonwealth v. Spruill (1981):
Evidence of prior criminal activity [ ] is probably only equaled
by a confession in its prejudicial impact upon a jury. Thus,
fairness dictates that courts should be ever vigilant to prevent
the introduction of this type of evidence under the guise that it
is being offered to serve some purpose other than to
demonstrate the defendant's propensity to commit the charged
crime.

In short, LittleOleMe: I would be concerned about what your own children are doing, and stay out of the affairs of your neighbors until you have your own miserable life in order.

scribbler
scribbler's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/01/2007
mistermister -- help us understand
mistermister wrote:

The only people entitled to this information are the parents, the family of the victim, the police, and the school.

Please elaborate so we can all understand??

Tell us why this "only people entitled" is a true assertion??

********
Also tell us...

Do you understand these basic concepts:
"free press"... "freedom of speech"... "public domain"...
--- and perhaps most importantly ..."in the public interest" ??

*************

mistermister wrote:

What gives you the right to come on this message board and preach your opinion as if it were the gospel?

Please see "freedom of speech.... and "free press".... above.

*************

mistermister wrote:

....when climbing upon your internet soapboxes to poison the readers with your spiteful, ridiculous, self-righteous illusions.

Soooo.....
YOUR PARTICULAR BRAND OF RAILING on other contributors is quite alright...
....yet anyone who offers a differing viewpoint...
---is "poisoning the readers"...

UMMMM.... OK -- I THINK I GOT IT... ??!??
(Where did you say your were from.... again please?)

Yumpin' yiminy....

mistermister
mistermister's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/11/2010
Please elaborate so we can

Please elaborate so we can all understand??

Tell us why this "only people entitled" is a true assertion??

********
Also tell us...

Do you understand these basic concepts:
"free press"... "freedom of speech"... "public domain"...
--- and perhaps most importantly ..."in the public interest" ??

*************

Quite simple! If you were entitled you would have the information. Wouldn't you? I'm all for "free press"... "freedom of speech"... and as soon as the press is entitled to this information, you will be free to form your opinions based on facts.... Not hearsay as so many seem to be doing now. As for public interest... Come on! If you're so entertained by crime and drama, sit in the pavilion for an hour or two. There is plenty of crime and drama there to interest you.

*************

Soooo.....
YOUR PARTICULAR BRAND OF RAILING on other contributors is quite alright...
....yet anyone who offers a differing viewpoint...
---is "poisoning the readers"...

*************

Please!

A differing viewpoint is expected. Leading a witch hunt with the intent of somehow making a victim in this appear to be a hardened criminal isn't. Really, I fail to see why someone feels the need to post a link to the arrest of a victim in this crash. What are you attempting to do? Prove blame? Come one! The kid was a passenger in a car, and ended up in ICU! Imagine what his parents are going through! What as the purpose of posting that link?

Poisoning the readers!

************

UMMMM.... OK -- I THINK I GOT IT... ??!??

Obviously you "don't got it"! Otherwise you would come down from your ivory tower and lose the sense of entitlement! This isn't about you! This isn't about your rights to information. This is about the loss of a life to a stupid accident! Come back down to earth! STOP POINTING THE BLAME and LET THESE FAMILIES MOURN without saying horrible things about these kids!

(Where did you say your were from.... again please?)

Actually, I didn't. Why do you ask? I'm sure that telling you where I was born, grew up, or currently reside would make a difference, right?

JustAnotherFace
JustAnotherFace's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/11/2010
No one is leading a witch hunt....

James Massey is not being attacked on this board. Like I mentioned earlier: Someone must have a guilty conscience about this burglary charge. The person who brought this up did not mention anything about who was involved, and neither does the article. I, myself, had yet to come to a conclusion about who was involved in the burglary and without your post, I never would've known that it was James.

You've brought that out. Not anyone else.

And I can only imagine that the post was made to prove that Josh did not keep the greatest company. It reiterates what I said earlier. Behaviors like this are built upon, they don't just start.

JustAnotherFace
JustAnotherFace's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/11/2010
Judgement

Are you not doing the same thing you criticized others for doing?

"In short, LittleOleMe: I would be concerned about what your own children are doing, and stay out of the affairs of your neighbors until you have your own miserable life in order."

Do you personally know LittleOleMe to make the accusation that their life is "miserable?"

That's a fairly judgmental accusation to make from someone who saying, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

And it seems to me that someone has a guilty conscience about this arrest record to be getting so worked up about. All LittleOleMe did was post it. They didn't even discuss what the post was about.

So, please, before you start ridiculing everyone for how they conduct themselves in this forum, evaluate yourself. No one has personally attacked your or said that you lead a "miserables life" or that they would be concerned what "your own children are doing."

mistermister
mistermister's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/11/2010
Not surprising that you two

See my post above. By the way. I'm not prancing around here with a "holier than thou" attitude trying to stir up trouble. Please forgive me if I let her terrible, uncalled for post get under my skin.

Still though, Can someone please tell me the point of her post?

JustAnotherFace
JustAnotherFace's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/11/2010
Actually...

I believe some would see your Biblical reference as a "holier than thou" attitude.

"Her terrible, uncalled for post" was no such thing. There were people on this board trying to say how great and awesome these two boys were when clearly one of them (I'm not sure which) was arrested for burglary. Often times the question of character will be brought to light in cases, and this is one instance where someone (pre-case) has chosen to bring out the character of one of these two young men.

It's an awful situation, but "good boys" don't make decisions like this just once. It's an ongoing thing.

mistermister
mistermister's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/11/2010
Are you the judge?
JustAnotherFace wrote:

I believe some would see your Biblical reference as a "holier than thou" attitude.

That is their problem. But, then again, who are you to speak for other people or even assume what they are thinking?

JustAnotherFace wrote:

"Her terrible, uncalled for post" was no such thing. There were people on this board trying to say how great and awesome these two boys were when clearly one of them (I'm not sure which) was arrested for burglary. Often times the question of character will be brought to light in cases, and this is one instance where someone (pre-case) has chosen to bring out the character of one of these two young men.

How well do you know these two boys? If the answer is "not very well" or "not at all", your opinion doesn't really matter. Does it? Why do you feel the need to come to the rescue of "LittleOleMe" and her personal vendetta against the PASSENGER of the car. How does this speak to the character of the driver? It doesn't! The post of the link by "LittleOleMe" spawned post calling these boys "hooligans" and assumptions by a few saying that they were "obviously up to no good". Read that one a few times and let it sink in.

JustAnotherFace wrote:

It's an awful situation, but "good boys" don't make decisions like this just once. It's an ongoing thing.

That is a very broad generalization. In many cases, you may be correct. Are you certain that you are correct in this case?

CowboysALLDAY
CowboysALLDAY's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/13/2010
Josh

Listen Am Tad Durden, Josh's Best friend...i was not aware of what was going on and i got informed that he had been in an accident...i was so scared for his health!!! I Have been in his car many of times and we have to tel Josh to speed up because he goes to slow and other kids get mad because he stops at every stop sign. When he took his drivers test the lady said he was the best driver she ever had. THIS IS NOT A BAD KID! For all the people out there who doubt his intentions and are talking saying he was high or drunk or not planing to stop...give him a break he is looking at 20 years or more if this goes in MR. Bucks Family's favor and it will! I feel sorry for him certainly when i told him that his passenger broke his shoulder he freaked out much less to know when he found out MR. Buck is gone...to his family i send my condolences and i will pray! But we need to look at whats left...Josh has a little sister who also lives with him and his grandparents and if the Buck family sews the Williams family what are they supposed to do? Josh would rather be the one dead than MR. Buck...thats just his heart he is a good kid. And it really does not matter what they were headed to do i personally still dont know because i have not heard it from him but that fact is they survived and i do belive both of them learned their lesson so why must we focus on ruining this younge 18 year old life...he is about to graduate. Why Fayetteville why do you constantly hate teens because we make simple and stupid mistakes that make us pay greatly. How many of you have done the same thing and just been lucky to not have a MR. Buck to run into us...i just began driving and this has taught me an amzing lesson...and i hope it has others to... I Love you josh and im here for you!!!!

JustAnotherFace
JustAnotherFace's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/11/2010
Tad

I know you and Josh were very good friends, as I (myself) have seen you as a passenger in his car numerous times. My question for you is this: Why this time? What (at 8:40 am in the morning) do you think provoked Josh to run that stop sign? Knowing you, personally, I know you can be someone who would be a joker in the car, and tell someone to go faster. So what is it, do you think, that made Josh run that stop sign? It wasn't the fact that he was late for school. At 8:40 he's already 15 minutes late for school, and only going to be later because he was heading East on McBride. He wasn't worried about time. So please, elaborate for the rest of us? This safe, conscious driver had a moment of bad judgement. What do you think brought it on?

CowboysALLDAY
CowboysALLDAY's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/13/2010
NotSURE

I Really dont know...i was not with him you never know what goes through a teens mind but i can say josh is an excelent driver and he drives very slow...he also insures he stops at every sign...there is a construction sign that blocks the stop sign and maybe he just didnt see it perhaps he looked at his phone(But unlikely he does not text and drive) I will never know all i know is that this is the most traumatic event in my life to ever happen and it didnt even happen to me..simply understanding of how frustrating he is to ride with because he drives slower than the speed limit and he is very aware of his surroundings.It was random and i never thought it would happen to him.

mistermister
mistermister's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/11/2010
Just Another Face?

"What do you think brought it on?"

What are you fishing for here?

Let me ask YOU a question, JustAnotherFace. Have you ever mistakenly broken a traffic law? Run a stop sign? Speed a little?

What do you think brought it on?

JustAnotherFace
JustAnotherFace's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/11/2010
To: MisterMister

I have run a stop sign on accident before.

I'm not fishing for anything. My reason for asking Tad these questions is to prove a point. One doesn't just start speeding and running stop signs. It's a gradual thing. I know because I, myself, was a very timid driver when I started driving. Now, when I get on the interstate, I know I go probably about 10 miles over consistently. But it was not always that way. A person doesn't just start breaking traffic laws. It's something you test. You speed a little and the more you don't get caught, the more you speed.

From the way the article reads, it sounds like the Josh's car had to be going pretty fast to push Mr. Buck's car off the road and up an embankment.

So, MisterMister, did I answer your question?

suggarfoot
suggarfoot's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/10/2007
Thank you Thomas Durden

"Why Fayetteville why do you constantly hate teens because we make simple and stupid mistakes that make us pay greatly. How many of you have done the same thing and just been lucky to not have a MR. Buck to run into us...i just began driving and this has taught me an amzing lesson...and i hope it has others to... !!!!"

I have to agree with him and ask the same question? Why does Fayette county hate their own teens?

This hasn't gone to court and people are already jumping on the kid. I thought our job as as adults was to lead these kids.

Being a teenager is dangerous. Many times they make childish decisions and are held accountable as adults. I feel for the family of Mr James, but my God! Have some feeling for the kids and their families!

Get Smart
Get Smart's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/07/2006
Sews?

Must be the product of the local school system.

airplane fixer
airplane fixer's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/13/2010
Josh

B.S bro. My kid took drivers ed here and it was a lot better than I ever took in Chicago in the late 70's.He had got more road time than I ever thought of at the time.Don't condemn this kid.I can remember twice within a year that I was T- boned at Grady and 85 once by a 82 year old woman and a Mexican who worked for a big construction company in Fayetteville.Do not blame a kid who had an accident.Just remember what an accident means.Thank you.WE PRAY FOR ALL FAMILIES.

mistermister
mistermister's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/11/2010
Wow!

Thanks Get Smart! It must make you feel very intelligent to pick on a single typo from a paragraph of a high school kid. That comment really added to the discussion here.

Thumbs up to you for really holding this whole thing together!

GNobles
GNobles's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/12/2010
Supportive of Josh

Tad,

You have some very excellent points. Unfortunately, there are people on this post that are just raving in general and it doesn't even appear that they are mad about this situation. Tell Josh that there are numerous people in Fayette County that realize that this was an accident and he did not intend for anything bad to happen.

rkm
rkm's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/12/2010
supportive of Josh

GNobles: Well said. I hope all the teens in Fayette don't become angry adults like some of the ones here.

Concerned person
Concerned person's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/13/2010
JAMES BUCKS FAMILY

I am concerned for the Buck family because of their loss.They are innocent as was James of any wrongdoing. His grandchildren will never be able to have him cheer at any games, or share any more Christmas celebrations. His sons will not have him to give them advice from his life's knowledge His wife will not be able to grow old with him and enjoy all they have worked for together in their family and community. This man who was a rock to so many is gone. And your friend's decision is why. If this other person needed a book for class than he should have contacted his parent to help with it or advise his teacher he did not have. When you are suppose to be in school than you are suppose to have your butt there. And this excuse of the book is probably a crock anyway. Kids go to school all the time and leave things at home. They don't dash away in a car. And what was Josh excuse to missing class it wasn't his book. When you make grown decisions to get behind a wheel of a car and leave school than you will need to suffer the consequences of your actions.

CowboysALLDAY
CowboysALLDAY's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/13/2010
NO

Yes they should have been at school...this is understood by all! But at the same time I feel like ur attacking the teen for an accident that could have been anyone...Josh will pay the consequences for sure but hopfully they will not be to hefty like you said Mr. Buck has lived a pretty good life and done alot of things...do you want Josh to end up not having any chance at moving on past this event or simply not getting to live as good of a life as Mr.Buck. I feel very sorry for the family and they will be in my prayers but at this point he is gone, there is nothing we can do and I know for a fact Josh has learned his lesson...so why ruin his life to? Josh's brakes failed..bottom line he didnt put Mr. Buck in his sights to kill it was an accident now accept it!

skyspy
skyspy's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2005
Traffic Laws are for Everyone

We all need to learn from this accident. All of us at one time or another have been speeding because we are late for work or something else. Some of us have slid around stop signs. This accident could have involved anyone of us. I drove on this road to work 30 mins. before this accident happened. I got lucky. Anyone of us could have been the victim or the person who caused the accident.

I have had a couple of "coaching/training " sessions with the sheriffs dept. on my speed and being late for work. I have learned to set my alarm clock 15 mins. earlier. I see many of us breaking our necks and speeding to get to work in the morning. Anyone of us so called adults could have been the perpetrator in this accident. We also could have been the victim.

In our "new wave/pop psychology" culture we have made a habit of making excuses for guilty people. Has this technique really helped us as a society??

I think there are valuable lessons to take home from this tragedy.

1. Mommy and daddy can't fix vehicular homicide. They used to be able to clean up your toys, make your bed, and clean up the mess of a neighbors yard after you TPd it, but they can't fix vehicular homicide.

2. Unless you have an umbrella policy, you could lose everything, including your home from one careless accident.

3. The sheriff's dept. doesn't give out trophies for participating. They really don't have the budget for it.

There are some huge mistakes in life that a sorry and smirky little grin won't fix, and this is one of those things.

We all need to be careful. This should be a wake up call for all of us. Anyone of us could be on the verge of losing our homes right now for one careless mistake.

The sun is very bright and blinding going in that direction at that hour of the morning. Pull your sun visor down and put on your sunglasses, even then I have to slow down to see cyclists and the stop sign. It is possible to see the stop sign with sunglasses.

If the young men really were "going home to get a book" they should have been familiar with where the stop sign was and any landmarks close to said stop sign.

I want to extend my sympathy to Mr. Bucks family. I'm sorry for your loss.

scribbler
scribbler's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/01/2007
Skyspy

Excellent summary thoughts....
Well said, indeed.

mistermister
mistermister's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/11/2010
Uhhh

How recent?

Okay..I'll play with ya. It's been completed for a couple of months. Visibility is great. Intersection improved tremendously with turning lanes. Why don't you go check it out?

I know the place well. Why don't YOU check it out this time of day. Imagine that you haven't been down the road in a couple of months (since the "improvements") Is the sun in your eyes? Without being there recently, are you aware of the stop sign? It is so easy to assume everyone sees (or should see) things exactly as you do. Try to walk a mile in someone else's shoes. Be sure to try this with an open mind.

Let's say this is true. Does it change anything? No. But you should take things like this into consideration before placing judgement on someone.

Possible that the kid wasn't aware of the stop sign?

I'll remember that if I am somewhere where I am not aware of a particular stop sign and I run it killing an innocent person. Bet that argument and illogical thinking will get me off the hook.

I'm not saying that he should be off the hook. Should he be punished? Yes. But that is for the courts to decide, not you! He will deal with this for the rest of his life. You make it seem as if he killed someone on purpose.

How do you know how fast he was going?

Well..I have a bit of common sense about myself and pretty good judgment of how hard that Sequoia was hit for it to roll violently up that steep embankment and land crushed on its top. What I can tell you is this young man wasn't driving modestly when that impact took place. Any fool could see that.

So your saying that you have no proof how fast he was going? See, that is the problem. Because you were at the scene of the accident, doesn't mean you know all of the facts. Your "facts' are simply your opinion. Please take into account that both cars were moving and both cars swerved. This certainly caused the rolling of the Sequoia.

Isn't it a crime to not wear your seatbelt?

Yes.. and it should be crime to be an idiot like yourself and try to shift the blame to the innocent victim.

1st, I never attempted to shift blame onto ANYONE, ESPECIALLY the victim. You, however feel that you have all of the answers and (in your mind) have already decided that Josh was a violent perpetrator as if he lined up the Sequoia in his sights and stomped on the gas pedal . I was simply pointing out to you that accidents and carelessness were prevalent on both sides. Does this change anything? No! Does my opinion matter? No! Guess what? Neither does yours. GET OVER YOURSELF!

2nd, you don't know me, but calling me an idiot is very presumptuous of you. I'm not calling you an idiot, but that was very ignorant thing for you to say. You owe me an apology.

Shame on you for pointing fingers!

Shame on you. Were you there?

I'm sorry. I don't follow.?.? I wasn't there. What does that have to do with your desire to publicly crucify these kids as violent hoodlums? So many whys and what ifs. It doesn't change anything.

It was an accident. A terrible accident! A life was lost.

Yes..and tragically this young man killed this father and husband in a needless and careless manner. My heart goes out to Josh. But.....

Here you are again. Josh didn't kill this man. The man was killed in a terrible accident.

I'll say it again..... Shame on you!

rkm
rkm's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/12/2010
Obviously the scribbler is

Obviously the scribbler is seriously misinformed, because he/she does not have the facts correct. Many of the statements made here today are not true and in fact are slander. This is the reason he or she will not identify themself.
The only person that ever walked the earth and was perfect is Jesus Christ and He is the only one who can judge all of us. You should be ashamed of yourself.
The Buck family is in my prayers, as are Josh and James.

scribbler
scribbler's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/01/2007
RKM.... ?!?
rkm wrote:

Obviously the scribbler is seriously misinformed, because he/she does not have the facts correct.

I await your counterpoints-- which are "obviously" missing in your post above. ?!?

*********

rkm wrote:

Many of the statements made here today are not true and in fact are slander

Tell us --- ?!?
For which of "the many" are you making this accusation of "not true"??
List them... point them out clearly. Don't hold back.

RKM ?!?! Do you even know the legal definition of "slander"??

********

If you have verifiable arguments that refute my points and conclusions... You should present them here. We shall discuss them in open forum until the cows come home... --Or the jury returns with a verdict.

If you DON'T have anything else substantial to offer to the discussion -- You certainly need to stay on the porch.

I have made my case several times here with people who just want to "rally support" and pat this kid on the head....
....and tell him "It's gonna be awwwwightt..."
-- for breaking the law -- and as a consequence of his bad behavior --taking a human life.

I SIMPLY -- PLAINLY -- AND UNASHAMEDLY DISAGREE!!
*********
Our Lord will eventually judge everyone--He is worthy indeed.
Yet-- our legal / judicial system "judges" people everyday.
(HINT - They have HIS permission -- See Romans 13)

And your young (driver) friend will likely be charged with serious crimes, and stand before the courts to make HIS case. THEN-- the civil proceedings will likely begin. Somehow -- I can't see that chapter ending in his favor either.

RKM... ?!?
You go ahead--Make YOUR case!

I strongly recommend you tackle the facts and stick with the issues here.... And be very careful with impugning the integrity of other contributors.

Just sayin'

rkm
rkm's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/12/2010
"He who is without sin among

"He who is without sin among you, let him throw the first stone.""
John chapter 7

scribbler
scribbler's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/01/2007
RKM...

How about this one from Exodus 20:16

"Do not bear false witness against your neighbor!"

rkm wrote:

Obviously the scribbler is seriously misinformed, because he/she does not have the facts correct. Many of the statements made here today are not true and in fact are slander.

I am standing by every word and my carefully considered opinion....
How 'bout you?

rkm wrote:

You should be ashamed of yourself.

I am not ashamed at all....
How 'bout you?

hutch866
hutch866's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/28/2005
rkm

I must have missed your name on here, or are your statements not true and slander also? By all means lets hear what you consider slander.

Friendofthe Buc...
Friendofthe Buck Family's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/12/2010
James Buck

I have known James for many years and worked closely with him and his son. What a huge loss "James you will be missed" To the family I can only say that we who knew James offer our prayers to all of you!!!!

McEnroe
McEnroe's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/13/2009
Prayers for all but ...

2 still live and 1 does NOT. Don't minimalize this to any measure. There IS more to this story, which will be open to all at a later time when appropriate... Why were the two really out there???

GNobles
GNobles's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/12/2010
Conspiracy Theory?

Are you proposing that this is some conspiracy? This message board has seriously digressed into a forum for angry people who could care less about this incident and just want a place to express their anger...

sloopy
sloopy's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/17/2007
Does it matter WHY the two

Does it matter WHY the two children were on the road? This is a tragedy for all involved. The young driver will have to live with killing a good man for the rest of his life, but crucifying this child will not bring Mr. Buck back to life. Josh must face some consequences for his part in this accident but sending him to jail would not be appropriate. Everyone would be well served to remember that this was AN ACCIDENT and just because the driver was a teenager does not make it malicious or him a monster! If you drive down McBride heading east at 8:45 in the morning you will notice that the sun is directly in your eyes and the signs are really hard to see. At any other time the signs are fine, but with the sun and the way the road lies it really is an accident waiting to happen in the morning. I am not excusing the driver who ran the stop sign, but I wish everyone who is calling for his head would go down that road in the morning and see if you might see how this tragedy happened. I did and it was very hard to see the signs and it is not hard to see how a person unfamiliar with the road could have run the stop sign.

scribbler
scribbler's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/01/2007
HANG ON, SLOOPY...
sloopy wrote:

Does it matter WHY the two children were on the road?

Well yes.... Actually, it does matter.

If they SHOULD have been elsewhere at the time, and their parents and school officials expected them to remain on campus in accordance with existing school rules and daily routine -- THEY WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ON McBRIDE ROAD-- AT ALL.

(HINT: Mr. Buck would have completed his errands and the day's work and enjoyed dinner with his family-- as usual that same evening)

************

sloopy wrote:

Josh must face some consequences for his part in this accident but sending him to jail would not be appropriate.

What "some consequences" ...would you so tenderly recommend??

Are you familiar with the laws of this state in coming to that conclusion?

Jail...(at least!) Is what happens to lawbreakers whose willful actions take the life of another human being.

***********

sloopy wrote:

If you drive down McBride heading east at 8:45 in the morning you will notice that the sun is directly in your eyes and the signs are really hard to see.

No excuses, please.

The law requires all drivers to maintain control of their vehicle at all times, maintain their lane, and obey traffic control devices and signage.

The vehicle code also requires driving slower than the posted speed limit--if the weather conditions, (including sun angle), and /or road conditions are less than optimal.

Failing to do so is called "DRIVING TOO FAST FOR CONDITIONS"

****************

If the initial set of facts are borne out by the technical investigation, these two innocent little angels will have a lot to deal with now.... and for a long time to come.

Likewise...

I hope these parents look in the mirror and take the time to ask some serious questions about the values and disciplines of life they instilled into these young men -- or not.

This entire event was so unnecessary.

sloopy
sloopy's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/17/2007
I do not agree that it

I do not agree that it matters WHY the boys were on the road. Would it change the outcome if they were on the road for a noble reason? No. They were going to the passenger's house to pick up a book from what a witness at the accident told me. The driver does not live near McBride and really may not have realized there was a stop sign.I don't know what he did or did not see and I don't think you do either. All I do know is that I drove their route this morning at approximatley 8:45 and the sun was blinding. I agree with you that there will be serious consequences for his mistake. My problem with your attitude is that you are more interested in making sure this child ends up behind bars than you are of seeing if some good can be salvaged from this tragedy. One good man has already lost his life. One loving family has already lost their loved one. Putting an 18 year old high school student in jail for an accident will only ruin another life and hurt another family. You and I both know that Josh and his family will suffer enough from the consequences of yesterday's events. I do believe Josh will be charged with something like vehicular manslaughter but since a tragic accident does not qualify as willful actions intended to harm anyone I believe that community service such as having him speak in high schools or working in a trauma unit would be more productive than any jail sentence. He is not in need of reform. He made a mistake. Let him help other children not repeat that mistake and let's save the prison space for real criminals.

In response to your slight against the boys' parents, I think it is very presumptuous of you to assume that these people have not instilled values in their sons. I have run a stop sign before and I am pretty sure I am one of the most moral people I know. One child running a stop sign and hitting a nice man who forgot to put on his seat belt does not mean that parents did not raise these children to have values or discipline.

Lastly, the boys involved do not seem to be monsters like you would like to believe. I do not know if they are "angels" as you called them, but they seem to be just ordinary boys that are now scarred for life. I know what you are thinking- they are scarred because of their actions. You are right. There is a price to pay and I am certain that no court will make them pay any more than the pain and suffering their consciences will put them through over their lifetime. From what I have been told of Mr. Buck I do not think he would like to see these two children crucified. I pray that his family is finding that a peace that passes all understanding and will one day be able to forgive this child his part in this accident.

If you do decide to post something back to me, I would ask that you keep in mind that we are not at war. We both agree that this has been a tragedy and each of us is looking at the event through lens tinted with our own experiences. I was in a very bad wreck in High School. I was the passenger and I have life long issues due to injuries I sustained in the accident. My friend was technically 100% at fault, but I was not wearing a seat belt(wasn't law way back then). Never once did my parents or I think of suing or seeing that she was punished. We were two girls coming home from school and she hit another car. It was an accident. Many,many years later, she still can not look at me without crying. Her suffering is acute. Now I am a mom and wife and I can look at this recent accident from both sides. I truly ache for all involved. This is a tragedy that will haunt these people forever. I just hate that this forum has given them so much anger to read. I hope that they take comfort in the many prayers that have been offered on the blogs.

scribbler
scribbler's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/01/2007
Sloopy
sloopy wrote:

I know what you are thinking- they are scarred because of their actions. You are right. There is a price to pay and I am certain that no court will make them pay any more than the pain and suffering their consciences will put them through (emphasis added)

I know you would like to think it works this way (your quote above)--
--And TBH --most days, I would be wanting to believe the same right there with you.

But there is a better than average chance this young adult diver (18) will do some big-boy jail time--- and lengthy /very strict probation if convicted of vehicular homicide.

There are some huge variables yet to be defined like pieces of the puzzle:
-- What formal charges emerge from the invetigation??
-- How aggressive will the prosecutor pursue a strict punishment?
-- Which judge if its only a bench trial?
I hope you see what I mean.

I didn't refer to anyone as a "monster" -- please read it again and refrain from putting words on the page that I did not write. If this young driver has a recent criminal history (as alleged in this discussion) --it will come into play.

Make no mistake -- this was a loss-of-life event. We can't lead with our feelings and come to the right conclusion.

No amount of empathy and sympathy, or public outcry is going to change the legal circumstances here once the charges are filed..

Then the civil outcomes -- wrongful death-- punitive damages that could cost his parents everything they own.

The "system" can be pretty cold and impersonal once the ball is rolling, but they usually get it right.

We simply disagree on whether or not there will be a significant punitive sanction for the young driver. I believe there should be... and there will be.

I hope both of these young men recover from their injuries -- and find a way to make the most of their lives in spite of bearing this burden.

Thank you for well-thought out dialog.

Courthouserules
Courthouserules's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/02/2010
sloppy

Well I see that you too know that there are many ways for certain people to avoid severe punishment.

Personally, I would like to see EVERYONE get a second chance for questionable intentions and minor errors, but it isn't working that way. Only some get such treatment. Judges for instance and minorities. One, one way, the other another way.

jimbo19
jimbo19's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/11/2010
Values or Discipline??

Theres that nice man not wearing his seatbelt comment again... You people kill me!! Lets see ordinary boy arrested for Burglary,skipping school, etc. oh yeah thats real values and discipline thats been instilled....

Courthouserules
Courthouserules's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/02/2010
jimbo

Many parents today allow their children freer reign and allow them to learn much by making mistakes! Even allow them to do dangerous things in their sight so they will learn by experience and not from preaching as they call it--which is ignored anyway.

Most parent are not capable of teaching their children due to impatience and false expectations. It takes a lot of time and study to do it correctly.

The above methods are as fallible as were the system used for my generation by many (ignorant) parents.
"whoopings were big! School systems, bus drivers, teachers, and neighbors were always correct as to their reporting of your kids faults.

It was thought that "lording over" kids was necessary, and working them very hard at the wrong things was necessary for character.
There were also the minority of wealthy people who allowed others to teach their kids manners, history, and how to get along with adults. Some of these were snobs, but not irritable and mean.

Everyone except a few were middle class or less also. Now we have a whole minority of all races who are simply child rich and money poor. They grow up entirely different than those who have money and good school training and proper guidance from a good family.
They don't have a chance to be different than that as they grow and don't try for the most part.
Those we eventually put into jail.

jimbo19
jimbo19's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/11/2010
Courthouse Rule!!

Well said !!

MFeltman
MFeltman's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/12/2010
It really amazes me that

It really amazes me that people feel they have a right to judge others without knowing them. All three that were involved in this wreck have family memebers that are going through a tough time, but instead of sending prayers for all involved we are lashing out. It seems to me a lot went wrong in this situation from not wearing a seat belt to maybe not being where your supose to be, but really can we blame them or support all involved and hope that time will heal all. The kid that was driving was not drinking and driving, it was maybe a misguided decision to not stop all the way at the stop sign but I see people everyday roll through stop signs and nobody ever blames them..This is not a time to be hateful but send prayers to everyone involved.

Courthouserules
Courthouserules's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/02/2010
The car hit was decimated: much speed involved

Maybe it was the sun---that devil old sun! Rolled through even though he couldn't see! Thought he didn't see a stop sign. Come on folks someone is dead due to ..........?

Some of these statements remind me of how we are changing the English language to something silly

rolling stop
deal with
I want justice
you know?
I mean
thoughts and prayers
TGIF
LOL
cut and run
basic
cool
bu-bye
awesome

and a thousand more!!!!!

Isn't rolling stop and oxymoron?
Isn't deal a noun?
justice: go to court, I'm not giving you any money
basic: never is
cool: never is
awesome: never is really! (Now "shock and awe" I understand!)

& "thoughts and prayers!" Do something for them, don't send such triviality, it is awesome, and not cool!

"Lift them up" if you can? Whatever that means.

scribbler
scribbler's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/01/2007
AMAZING... NAIVETE
MFeltman wrote:

It really amazes me that people feel they have a right to judge others without knowing them

FYI: This happens every day.

You see, the facts speak for themselves....
...EVEN IF we didn't "know" any of the people involved.

Judges don't "know" the people they sentence, or set free--
They simply apply the principles of law and the proven facts of the matter, in order to arrive at the correct conclusion of the issues.

Criminal sentences and /or civil penalties (and damages) are meted out accordingly.

*******

MFeltman wrote:

...instead of sending prayers for all involved we are lashing out.

Everyone who professes faith IS praying-- especially for a suddenly and tragically bereaved family.

Plain-spoken examination of the known facts and drawing logical conclusions is not "lashing out".

********

MFeltman wrote:

It seems to me a lot went wrong in this situation...

Your understatement of the day.

Safety experts will tell you -- every accident is usually a chain of events leading to the final outcome. "Breaking the chain" of events will usually prevent the accident.

(1) Had these students been where they were supposed to be (on campus)-- the accident CERTAINLY would have been prevented...

(2) Had this young driver chosen to obey the law (STOP!) this accident CERTAINLY would have been prevented...

(3) The SUV driver wearing a seat belt MAY OR MAY NOT have prevented his fatal injuries. The investigation will tell us.

AGAIN -- had this young driver chosen either (1) or (2) above, this accident would have CERTAINLY been avoided.

**********

MFeltman wrote:

...it was maybe a misguided decision to not stop all the way at the stop sign...

It was A FATAL DECISION
-- the other driver lost his life.

GET A GRIP!

************

MFeltman wrote:

...but I see people everyday roll through stop signs and nobody ever blames them...

So... Busting through STOP signs is acceptable as long as nothing happens??

Running a stop sign is against the law whether anyone is watching or not...

...And this practice becomes immediately ENFORCEABLE ($$$) when observed by a LEO...

...And this practice becomes immediately VERY FRIGHTENING / UNNERVING when there is a near-miss with pedestrians, bicyclists, golf-carts, motorcycles, or cars...

...And this practice becomes a BAD DECISION -- and immediately MORE EXPENSIVE ($$$) when there is a collision of any kind...

...And this practice becomes UNNECESSARILY TRAGIC when there are serious injuries or death.

**********

Please re-think your position. Simply replace all the touchy-feely with real-world outcomes and thoughtful "pre-"-consideration of the consequences for reckless /lawless driving.

jimbo19
jimbo19's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/11/2010
Not wearing a seatbelt again ??

If I see that phrase "not wearing a seat belt" used again to try and explain this, I'm going to be sick....Did you see the Sequoia???? It looked like it had been put into a car crusher!!! I don't care if you had a racing harness on you would have died in that vehicle...

Spyglass
Spyglass's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/28/2008
I think the seatbelt comes up to try and show

how important it is to wear them EVERY time you drive. You may be right about survival in this case. You may be a very experienced crash investigator with more insight than many on here. Sad part is, we'll never know. That's the point I would like to drive home. Wear your seat belt because you never know when you or someone else can make a grave life changing mistake.

PTC Observer
PTC Observer's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/23/2007
Spy - There's

that old issue coming back again and again. It's called Personal responsibility.

jimbo19
jimbo19's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/11/2010
Seatbelts?

Spyglass,just medical/paramed background - but you are right , you must wear them all the time - however, in this case it would not have mattered after seeing the Sequoia..

littleoleme
littleoleme's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/30/2010
Josh was kept overnight at

Josh was kept overnight at Southern Regional with a broken foot and suspected slight internal bleeding.

GNobles
GNobles's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/12/2010
There seems to be a real need

There seems to be a real need to crucify Josh and James on this message board. However, I know these boys and they are not the villians that you are trying to make them out to be. It is tragic that this accident occured, regardless of the circumstances. However, the rage expressed by several people on this board is even more tragic. How will anger remedy this situation? It won't. How will "throwing the book" at the driver bring back Mr. Buck? It won't. Why don't we as a community rally around young people when they make a mistake and give them the support that they need to become productive, responsible adults? We need to pray for all the people involved and hope that this serves as a lesson to EVERYBODY to slow down and pay close attention while driving.

scribbler
scribbler's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/01/2007
WE NEED A REALITY CHECK
GNobles wrote:

There seems to be a real need to crucify Josh and James on this message board

Discussing the known (sad) facts of this case, and drawing logical conclusions of the criminal / legal consequences does not constitute a crucifixion.

**********

GNobles wrote:

...they are not the villians that you are trying to make them out to be.

Let's see...

....They were off-campus AWOL during school hours --Bad choice #1,

....they broke the law at least once-- Very Bad Choice #2,

--And as a result,
....They were directly responsible for injuries that resulted in the loss of a human life... (The harsh results of their own bad choices)

HOW THEN DO YOU CHARACTERIZE THEM in light of these facts & circumstances??

Unfortunate? Unlucky?
-- or active perpetrators (of this tragedy)??

How then in your opinion should the legal system characterize them?
--- or treat them?? Tell us please!

**********

GNobles wrote:

How will "throwing the book" at the driver bring back Mr. Buck

IN THE FIRST PLACE...
This loss of life was most certainly avoidable.
Yet--nothing we can do restore this man's life.

Punishing the driver appropriately will have several beneficial effects:

(1) If found guilty and liable -- he will pay for his criminal offenses that were the proximate cause of a man's death. Indeed he should in a society of laws. Whatever sentence or civil findings are meted out by the justice system will mark him for life.

This is the price paid for lawless behavior.
(All fast & furious young drivers should be taking notes!)

(2) SHOULD HE CHOOSE TO BECOME A RESPONSIBLE AND PRODUCTIVE ADULT-- after dealing with the consequences this tragedy -- I doubt, and certainly hope he will never put himself in this position again.

(3) Paying for his "mistakes" and enduring the real-world consequences for making a rapid series of ill-advised and at least one illegal choice(s) should serve as a strong deterrent to his own peer group-- and as many others who learn the story of this very sad day.

**********
RIP Mr. Buck.
Many prayers and condolences are being offered for your grieving family.

jimbo19
jimbo19's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/11/2010
Tired of Rallying !!

Why should the community rally around a kid involved with vandalism, arrested for burglary in the community, and now this?? How many more breaks should the up-lifting community dole out..?? It's the parents job to make sure their productive, responsible adults !! While we’re at it, let’s divide up all the candy in a couple of weeks to make sure no one is left out !! They need a good a%# whipping and a little less liberal compassion....You want to pray for something, here it is, pray that your family member wasn't riding to Fayetteville that morning to pick up some milk !! Pray for the Bucks!!

You make bad decisions and put yourself in bad situations, and then bad things happen!!

Courthouserules
Courthouserules's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/02/2010
Another country heard from?

Vandalism, burglary---what are you talking about? Previous charges or was not charged?

jimbo19
jimbo19's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/11/2010
Burglary!

Courthouserules scroll down to Littleoleme's post and it has a link to the previous arrest, etc..Sorry about the idiot comment, I misread your post...

heatjam
heatjam's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/29/2007
Accident!

No, the community should not rally around a child involved with vandalism or burglary. Obviously those children went out with the INTENT to cause trouble. There is a MAJOR difference here...there was NO INTENT!! It was an ACCIDENT!!! Should Josh have been more aware of his surroundings? ABSOLUTELY! Regardless of the sunshine, etc.. there is a sign saying stop sign ahead. There is also construction signs around which should have told him to SLOW down. For whatever reason, he did not slow up in time and unfortunately a person died. It was a TRAGIC accident that he and James will have to live with their entire lives. Should they be arrested and thrown in jail? No! Should those children who purposely went out and committed mayhem be thrown in jail? You betcha! Could something positive come from this? Quite possibly. Maybe they could go around to High Schools and speak with the students about what happened and maybe many lives can be saved. It's too late for Mr. Buck, but hopefully it won't be too late for Mrs. Smith and Mr. Jones.

jimbo19
jimbo19's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/11/2010
Smoking?

Ugh, Heatjam we have a problem here I think you missed the part that we are talking about the fact that the same kid was involved in the burglary, the vandalism, and the wreck....

heatjam
heatjam's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/29/2007
Jimbo

How do you know this? Just asking

scribbler
scribbler's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/01/2007
AVOIDABLE..... accident....
heatjam wrote:

For whatever reason, he did not slow up in time and unfortunately a person died.

"Whatever reason"... was excessive speed, reckless driving, a cavalier attitude toward the laws of this state. All wrapped up together I think we could call it "criminally negligent"...

Each driver has a civil duty to every one else on the road! That duty was breached, and that breach was the proximate cause of another driver's death.

And yes... for my take on this.... this person died NEEDLESSLY!!

There was no fire, no invasion, no boogeyman chasing these "children" down the road...

Get a grip!

*************

heatjam wrote:

Should they be arrested and thrown in jail? No!

PLEASE TELL US....

In light of the laws of the State of Georgia, and the fact that the driver IS NO LONGER A MINOR CHILD (18!!)

Umm..... WHY NOT??

And by your own "standards" for these "children"....

How do we maintain an even-handed legal system and consequence for the next perpetrator of death and mayhem on the roadways?

I don't know who needs to grow up a little more and a little faster...

These "children" who played hooky, broke the law, and killed a man....
....Or their apologists

heatjam
heatjam's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/29/2007
Scribbler

James was a passenger in the car...not the driver, so he didn't break any traffic law.

Do you want your tax dollars to pay for Josh to go to jail for an accident? I sure don't. There was no MALICIOUS INTENT! IT WAS AN ACCIDENT!!'

Just remember.."There but for the grace of God go I"

scribbler
scribbler's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/01/2007
HEATJAM -- I CAN'T AGREE...

These young men had TWO (2) chances to completely avoid this accident:
(1) Stay on campus... (2) Drive within the law...
(Simple as that!)

*******

heatjam wrote:

There was no MALICIOUS INTENT! IT WAS AN ACCIDENT!!'

"Malicious intent" would make the charge a MURDER

"Criminal negligence" will likely make it VEHICULAR MANSLAUGHTER

It was NOT (JUST) "AN ACCIDENT"...
---because it was clearly avoidable!

We have a clear difference of opinion...

You want to pat him on the head....
"awwwwwww... thats oookkkkkkaayyyy"

I prefer he does the time.

--AND--
We will see how it comes out... soon anough.

Cyclist
Cyclist's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/15/2007
scribbler

I would be a little surprised if the DA went for jail time. That is unless circumstances that led to the accident were gross.

scribbler
scribbler's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/01/2007
Cyclist

It will be a compelling case to follow...

Let's all be EXTRA safe out there!

skyspy
skyspy's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2005
Hey Cy

Our DA isn't very proactive, I'm sure this kid will get off in criminal court anyway. Civil court may not be so kind.

Maybe the family can afford a retainer for Ed Garland and company. He got that hockey player off after he killed his friend while speeding on Lenox Rd. Time will tell.

Cyclist
Cyclist's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/15/2007
Hey Sky

I think the DA will go for reduced manslaughter charges. I believe there's certain requirements in the GA Code that will force this. But, heck who knows. Good to hear from you!!!!

skyspy
skyspy's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2005
Cy

Good to hear from you too. We will have to get our gang together before the holidays. I will have a couple of Sat. off soon. Take care, have a good week.

Cyclist
Cyclist's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/15/2007
Sky

Lets make that happen. E mail soon.

skyspy
skyspy's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2005
Cy : Sounds Good

Have a good night.

Courthouserules
Courthouserules's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/02/2010
heatjam

I have already said that they should get a fair trial, by a jury from another county it looks like.

I am also getting a little tired of these men being called children!

I was in the Korean war at that age----yes 17.
There are thousands in Iraq, Afghanistan, now at home and in VA hospitals 18 or very little more while serving.

They must have a trial and obtain fair justice. (one of them probably for less than the other.) And I hope that the facts the jury hears allows them to be merciful....but not before then.

We must stop teen driving recklessness! And adult drinking and driving.

How about texting?

mistermister
mistermister's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/11/2010
Courthouserule

I was in the Korean war at that age----yes 17

Good for you!

Over 4,000 MEN between the ages of 13-15 fought for the Union in the Civil War.

What was the legal US drinking age when you were in the war? Why on earth did they raise the age to 21 in 1984? Because CHILDREN are irresponsible!!

I wasn't in any war. I wasn't forced to grow up early like you were. Guess what? Neither were these CHILDREN.

MYTMITE
MYTMITE's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/14/2008
CHR, you don't get charged for being a passenger in a vehicle--

CHR said "They must have a trial and obtain fair justice (one of them probably less than the other.)"

If one was only a passenger in the car no charges should be filed against him.

Courthouserules
Courthouserules's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/02/2010
MyTconfused

I said the passenger may not get charged!

However it depends upon so many factors whether he is or not.

Passengers in cars who rob are charged.
Conspiracy can cause charges if one was there.
On their way to do harm somewhere, or illegal.

DA doesn't charge him would free him.
Bench Court and a friendly judge could free him.
If he is charged he will request a jury trial and the court will throw it out then rather than a trial, for an admission of "loafing" maybe.

No Fayette Jury would find him guilty of anything, even if he were. Unless the Jury were all from Upper Riverdale.

MYTMITE
MYTMITE's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/14/2008
Ah, CHR, you always try to cover your errors or misstatements-

The passenger wasn't driving a 'get-away' car, didn't step on the gas on top of driver's foot and lunge through stop sign. I doubt if he 'conspired' to run that red light or abetted in any way. And since when does a passenger get charged for "loafing" in someone else's car. I really think you should consider Rambles for one of your posting names, because you do it so well. And you were the one confused or trying to confuse.
By the way, weren't you seventeen when you went into the Continental Army, not Korea?

Courthouserules
Courthouserules's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/02/2010
MyTerror

No errors or misstatements!

You just had not thought of all those possibilities, had you?
Some of us have no future imaginations as to logic!

Git Real
Git Real's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/17/2006
You are correct

They do need the community's support. They no doubt have some serious issues to deal with having gone through such a horrific accident. My heart aches for them and they are in my prayers. With that said.... The book isn't going to get "thrown at them". The laws that are in place will dictate the paths these young guys will have to endure. Accountability must be enforced. The need for family, friends and others to step up and encourage, guide and support them through the process must take place for these guys to heal properly on the inside and for them to become responsible and productive.

I've already used this incident to discuss responsibility, parental oversight and consequenses with my children and will have more conversations regarding such. And I will discuss and mentor other young folks I have contact with as an example and as an encouragement to make wise decisions when operating a motor vehicle or whatever.

I am with on the fact there is "no need to crucify them" and that that they "are not villians". I've talked to a couple people who know Josh and they can't say enough good. Problem is..... they are teenagers..... overgrown children transitioning into becoming young me.

It would be insane to excuse what has happened. Personally... I HOPE for them...

Courthouserules
Courthouserules's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/02/2010
G Nobles

Yes, I agree with what you said. We shouldn't just punish them with say a charge of 2nd degree auto homicide, probation, and take a safety course, then forget them.

The Georgia jails are full of kids just about the age these two. Many of their offenses are less severe than what appears to have happened here. Although there could be extenuating circumstances such as to fault here.
Generally the one getting hit is free to go except for traffic light violations.

If those kids now in prison for 2-20 years were to be improved WHILE in prison and followed up after release on probation with good help maybe we would have less repeats.

Some do get stiffer sentences and attention than others for similar offenses under similar circumstances, but that is due to our FEAR of some and not of others.

I am about to suggest that maybe we are too hasty sometime to jail some of them on a first offense, or even a minor violation of parole.
It is easier to jail them however, than to work with them on a planned program---and not just yapping at them.

Ever thought of involving the parents, a parent, a grandmother with some of the responsibility? Might deter!

Git Real
Git Real's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/17/2006
If Anyone

Has news on the physical condition of Josh and James please post an update.

GNobles
GNobles's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/12/2010
Update

James is at Grady in ICU. He is stable but has several injuries.

Git Real
Git Real's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/17/2006
GNobles....

Thank you... he looked terrible. Maybe his injuries aren't so bad and he will heal completely. That we can pray for.

ImFedUp
ImFedUp's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/07/2010
Prayers for all

Mr. Buck's death was a terrible tragedy and what these boys will live with the rest of their lives is unthinkable. Prayers for all.

Recent Comments