Wrongful death lawsuit filed against Fayette and 11 EMTs

A wrongful death lawsuit against Fayette County and 11 county emergency medical technicians was filed in Spalding County State Court late last week. No dollar amount of damages being sought was given in the court papers.

The suit stems from the April 28, 2009 death of 57-year-old Fayette County resident Dickie Denney. The suit by Denney’s wife Charlene alleges that her husband’s death resulted from a number of errors including the administration of what became a fatal overdose of morphine.

Mrs. Denney filed a wrongful death lawsuit on Sept. 9 naming Fayette County, Fayette Emergency Medical Technician Jason Crenshaw and John Does 1-10 as defendants. Denney maintains in the suit that her husband’s death followed a number of errors made after EMTs arrived at their home. One of those alleged errors included a fatal dose of morphine sulphate.

Noting that Denney had oxycodone in his system (for which he had an active prescription for the past several years), the cause of death according to an autopsy by DeKalb medical consultant Dr. Gerald T. Gowitt was determined to be “opiate intoxication aggravating pre-existing atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease.”

Contacted Monday, Fayette County Administrator Jack Krakeel said it would be inappropriate for him to make any comments on legal proceedings involving the county.

According to the lawsuit filed by Fayetteville attorney John Mrosek, Denney had worked his way through a series of heart attacks and had attained a good state of health after the installation of a pacemaker.

The lawsuit noted that Fayette County Emergency Services staff had visited the home on prior occasions without incident and had transported Denney to either Piedmont Fayette Hospital or Emory University Hospital. But that was not the case on April 28, 2009, the suit stated.

With Denney complaining of mild chest discomfort, EMTs were called to the Adams Road home, arriving there at 10:25 p.m. The home is a short distance from Tyrone Road and approximately 3.62 miles from Piedmont Fayette Hospital, according to the filing.

Once on the scene, the EMT that appeared to be in charge at the home was Spalding County resident Jason Crenshaw, according to the lawsuit.

During the home visit and after the initial diagnosis conducted by emergency medical staff, “they concluded that Mr. Denney was not in an emergency situation,” the suit stated, adding that EMT’s offered numerous treatment alternatives.

Denney said his level of pain was a “3” on a scale of 1-10. The family at some point decided that Denney should be transported to Emory University Hospital.

The lawsuit alleges that during his time at the Denney home Crenshaw “exhibited an angry, antagonistic and malicious attitude and tone to Mr. Denney and to his family and created, in the eyes of witnesses, an atmosphere of hate.”

The lawsuit adds that Crenshaw exhibited numerous breaches of national, state and local protocols and breaches of the standard of care from an emergency medical provider.

Crenshaw at some point is said to have administered morphine sulfate without consulting Charlene Denney and in contravention of the established national and state protocols for the administration of the drug, the lawsuit said, adding that Crenshaw’s explanation for administering the morphine was to “knock him out” for the ride to Emory.

The suit states that, “Less than 10 minutes after Mr. Crenshaw administered the morphine, he radioed to 911 dispatch a ‘Code 7,’ meaning that Mr. Denney had experienced the initial stages of life-threatening cardiac arrest in that his heart had stopped beating due to the inevitable depressive, analgesic effects of morphine coupled with the existing Oxycontin (oxycodone) in his system (in a patient with a history of cardiovascular disease) thus causing his heart to stop and quickly causing Mr. Denney’s death.”

The suit maintains that, “at some point prior to 11 p.m. Crenshaw and defendants decided to administer morphine sulfate without consulting Mrs. Denney” and that “Denney’s situation escalated from a non-emergency situation to a cardiac emergency at approximately 11:03 p.m. when his cardiac arrest started and was witnessed by Crenshaw.”

Crenshaw recognized the error of treating Denney with morphine, the suit stated.

The court filing also states that while in the ambulance Denney was given an injection of Narcan, “a drug designed to offset the depressive cardiac effects of morphine they had just given Mr. Denney.”

According to the filing, Charlene Denney returned from filling her husband’s overnight bag and seated herself in the ambulance. She was not made aware of the life-threatening condition of her husband, the suit states.

Once underway, Crenshaw radioed dispatch saying that Denney was being transported to Piedmont Fayette Hospital.

The suit questions the route taken by the ambulance crew. With the destination now listed as Piedmont Fayette rather than Emory, the suit questions why the ambulance headed north on Adams Road and stopped on the side of the road near Sandy Creek Road, a route to Piedmont Fayette that would be of significantly greater distance than if the ambulance had gone south on Adams Road to Tyrone Road then east to the hospital.

The suit states that, while parked along the roadway off Sandy Creek Road, two additional crews arrived at the scene.

Meanwhile, the ambulance in which Denney was being transported stayed at roadside for approximately 15 minutes before resuming the transport to Piedmont Fayette.

The ambulance arrived at the hospital at 11:24 p.m. and Denney was pronounced dead at 11:59 p.m., according to the suit.

Also noted in the suit was Charlene Denney’s attempt to secure an autopsy and a death certificate. Fayette County Coroner C.J. Mowell was called to the hospital, where he sent various records to the Georgia State Crime Lab. “... an on-duty physician there conferred with Mr. Mowell and concluded that the death of Mr. Denney occurred as a result of ‘natural causes,’” the suit states.

The filing said that once notified, Charlene Denney “disputed the same and pointed out that her husband had been injected with morphine and that that was the cause of death.

“Mr. Mowell rejected her comments and refused to order an autopsy or inquest and said that the matter was closed.

“When Mrs. Denney asked about an autopsy, Mr. Mowell refused and told her that she would have to search on the Internet and pay for an autopsy out of her own funds.

“Despite Mrs. Denney’s repeated demands ... Mr. Mowell refused to issue a death certificate in this case. It was only after he released jurisdiction in August of 2010, more than a year later, that another medical examiner was able to issue a death certificate showing the cause of death to be ‘opiate overuse.’”

The subsequent autopsy performed by Gowitt determined the cause of death to be “opiate intoxication aggravating pre-existing atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease.”

Commenting last week after the lawsuit was filed, Charlene Denney said she is determined to find the answers to her questions.

“You think things like this don’t happen in real life. They knew in the driveway (of her home) there was a problem,” she said, adding that she is not afraid to take a stand on the issue of her husband’s death. “The biggest thing is trying to get the truth from the county and the truth about what happened that night. I couldn’t get the answers so I had to file suit.”

Denney said she does not want others to have to go through what her family experienced, adding that she wants cameras installed in the patient compartment of all ambulances and the capability of EMTs to be able to speak directly with emergency room physicians during cardio transports.

AtHomeGym
AtHomeGym's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/18/2007
eyeopener & calling 911

So, recent joiner, you know all about EMS & like to use the "you work for me" language. I can tell you two things: first, I have had the occasion to use FC EMS more than once and I only have high praise for their professional actions. Second, you gotta be a real dumbass to make such a comment. I sense that you project misery to all those around you. I wish you good health and a long life.

DontYouWorryBoutIT
DontYouWorryBoutIT's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/17/2010
No dear, I assure I dont work

No dear, I assure I dont work for Fayette county or anywhere near there. I cant handle all you snooty Fayette citizens. So, no I dont work for you. If you think I will sit back and let you attack my profession and my fellow workers, youve got another thing coming. Just go crawl back under your rock and let me worry about my own soul. Pray, pray hard, as you never know when it will be you calling for help...

Evil Elvis
Evil Elvis's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/19/2008
"Snooty Fayette

"Snooty Fayette citizens."

Riverdale is not only less snooty but cheaper too. This way to the egress.

eyeopener
eyeopener's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/17/2010
NO DEAR, I ASSURE I DONT WORK

I guess somebody got on to you and now telling you to cover up what you was saying. Im not stupid like you are and I got the message from you and your family of emts. Too late to cover up now big boy! NICE TRY! JUST LIKE YOU DID WITH THE DEAD MAN!

skyspy
skyspy's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2005
What are you Covering Up??

How badly was the victim abusing a highly addictive narcotic? Was it being taken exactly as the DR. prescribed??

Something says.......NOT!

How much alcohol had the victim consumed before the call for help to 911??

What DR prescribed this highly addictive narcotic medication for long term use?? Usually the only circumstances that require this level of narcotic meds. would be someone in end stage cancer battle or back surgery gone wrong.

What are we really talking about here? How badly was the victim addicted to these narcotics and how much alcohol had he consumed prior to the call for help??

Why are you bleating so hard to cover it all up????

Even if he loses this case, which seems likely.....how much of the cut in profits is your liar....ooooopppppssss, lawyer going to get??

Courthouserules
Courthouserules's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/02/2010
SPY

Don't understand you, at all!

What possible difference could it make in the treatment of this man no matter if what all that stuff you said was true! Most have no answers anyway.

Does a surgeon when walking into an operating room before operating start asking what kind of service does this person deserve? Is he a bum? Is his wife a pill?

If they are a big problem then we can be angry and they can't sue for anything that happens!

We must wait for the facts here.

skyspy
skyspy's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2005
bonker$$/It's Not that Hard

It's not that hard to understand. If the person was taking more than the prescribed dose of a dangerous narcotic and drinking even one drink on top of that, any other drugs given would make even a healthy person sick. Look it up in a PDR, maybe I'm reading all of that medical jargon incorrectly.

None of the victims so called friends want to answer that question. I'm sure the existing bottle of pills has long since been destroyed, so we will never really know if it was being taken exactly as prescribed or not will we?

There are lot of questions and a lot of room for reasonable doubt.

DontYouWorryBoutIT
DontYouWorryBoutIT's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/17/2010
You sound like a babbling

You sound like a babbling idiot. Someone got on to me? What, am i 6? What is there to cover up? I DONT work for Fayette and wouldnt lie if I did. I think you are a bit stupid, stupid. You are just too stupid to realize it. Big boy, huh? Thats a bit sterotypical. How do you know im not a female? Idiot...By the way, OPEN YOUR EYES

eyeopener
eyeopener's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/17/2010
Think Long and Hard before you put words into action!!

I see these fellow EMT pals of Jason Crenshaw say “he cares more about his patient than he SHOULD at times”……”I am married to a medic”…….”the man’s time to go meet his master”, “God made your heart beat so many times” and “Fayette County you make Emergency work impossible and that is why I no longer work in this county”………..

I think EMTs should be paid a large salary because after all based on their comments about GOD……..these medics get to play God and decide if you live or die! They get to decide without GOD’s permission how many heart beats you get…………If they make a mistake it is so easy to try and cover it up because after all people will never suspect due to the dead man had a bad heart…………….Good theory……sometimes it works sometimes it don’t……..and sometimes the wrong patient is killed!

Firejunkie the only EMT with a conscious and knows the truth says…..”Sorry”

I would like to know why this Jason Crenshaw was never fired? In most cases even with teachers, police officers, etc……if complaint is issued on someone then they are temporarily put on suspension……even if they are not guilty………..Is he on suspension for now or is he still going out on calls to other patients? If not then I will keep my car gassed up just in case I need emergency help I will drive to ER or get neighbor to take me!

eyesonyou

DontYouWorryBoutIT
DontYouWorryBoutIT's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/17/2010
Really open your eyes....

So, lets just fire anyone with an accusation against them on the spot? Smart...You can read into "firejunkie's" 'sorry', what you will. Maybe it means "im sorry you are an idiot that cant think for yourself" or "sorry jason is going through this" or "sorry your husband died, but perhaps it was just his time." Nobody tries to play God and decide if people live or die. You are a sad, sad person. I hope your neighbors would take you for help because, Ive got a feeling that you are not very well liked, and dont have many friends. Lets just shut down all police, fire, ems, hospitals, nursing homes, clinics, and any other agencies designed to help you and see how that goes. You are the same type of people that call 911 because you hurt your toe 3 weeks ago and now you "really need an ambulance". The reason the ER's stay full. 99.9% of calls go right, you NEVER hear a word about them. 0.01% get messed up and the guy needs to be fired and sued and jailed. This is one messed up country. God help us all.... Open your eyes

eyeopener
eyeopener's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/17/2010
Frivolous Lawsuit!!!

I can tell you what I am going to do!! I already talked to a lawyer. If I have to be unsafe to call 911 then I am going to file a class action suit against my county for not providing what my tax dollars pay to keep me safe! It won’t be frivolous at all!

dollparts13
dollparts13's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/16/2010
Actually, 95% of their

Actually, 95% of their funding comes from business taxes.
So unless you're a business owner, no they do not work for you.

ER RN
ER RN's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/17/2010
Ignorance

I am appalled to read this article. Whether anyone likes Jason or dislikes him shouldn't be a concern here. The real issue is how ignorgant this county is and the abuse of our EMS system that happens everyday. What person is healthy who takes narcotic pain meds routinely? Has had multiple heart issues? Has had multiple EMS calls to his residence? No on mentioned: Did the man smoke? Did he use or abuse alcohol? That is not the picture of a healthy man! Sudden death is always upsetting and life channging, I have lived through that, but to blame those who work daily to save lives is an outrage! People who live in this county think they are owed something just because they have a hospital and a great EMS system. The days have gone when you can take an ambulance ride to the ER and be brought right back. Gone are the days that you don't have to wait for your non urgent, non emergency room complaint to be evaluated. People get real and know what situation is an amergency and needs EMS and the ER and what is not! What you think is an emergency may not truly be. Airway, breathing, and circulation are our main focus. EMS is overtaxed by all the calls they receive and to go to Emory with chest pain from person who has a cardiac history is plain stupid. Another issue, since when do families get to tell medical professionals and doctors what to give and not give patients? We work under strict protocols and the wife was not and should not be consulted on what to give her husband in a life or death situation. Morphine is the drug of choice for chest and 3mg is not a lot. Often times a patient leaves their home awake and alert and arrives at the ER is a worsened condition. Hasn't anyone ever heard of a decline in status and maybe it was their time to be with God! For this wife to scrutinize every action, every details that she doesn't have a clue about is jut wrong. If the ignorant attorny who took this case, (looking to make a name for himself and some money), researched best practice and what really happened this would not have come this far. Furthermore, for someone to slander both Jason Crenshaw and CJ Mowell without having all the facts, because I am sure facts are missing just to provide sensationalism and stir up a community who already has unrealistic expectations of both the EMS system and the emergency room is just wrong. I am sorry for the loss of a man but it is not at the cost of some fine paramedics and medical professionals who work very hard every day to save lives. When is someone going to write about the good we do and the lives we do save daily??????

scribbler
scribbler's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/01/2007
ER RN- Ignorance is rampant!
ER RN wrote:

I am sorry for the loss of a man but it is not at the cost of some fine paramedics and medical professionals who work very hard every day to save lives.

Your upside-down value system is frightening.

Awww... that man died...
Hmmmm-- Were there mistakes made?
...OH, NEVERMIND....
BTW-- Our actions and reputations are off-limits!!
After all...
...Paramedics and medical professionals need to get back to work!

*******
How many have to die with serious questions lingering, before YOU AGREE that a pause and inquiry is justified?

IF ONE OF YOUR DEAR LOVED ONES was on that list of deceased persons, would YOU lower that number to ONE?

Get a grip.

DontYouWorryBoutIT
DontYouWorryBoutIT's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/17/2010
Wow

My goodness, there are some ambulance chasin' idiots on this post. This is just like a rape case. ANYTIME someone gets accused (of rape, neglect, wrongful death, etc...) by another person, they are guilty in the court of public opinion immediately. If you were not there, dont't know the parties involved, or arent the judge, SHUT UP!! Name calling and trying to belittle people (because "IM SO EDUCATED, YOU ARE BENEATH ME") is more closed minded (and kinda middle schoolish...) than any other comments being posted. I wont kiss anyone's @$$ just because they use big words and know proper English. God forbid you EVER get sick and need help. And, NO, emt's CAN NOT give Morphine. Only paramedics can, and since I know Jason personally, I can tell you, he is not only a paramedic, but a Nationally Registered CRITICAL CARE PARAMEDIC. Go aheah, Mr Scribbles (or whatever your name is) and pick apart my post for improper use of words or misspellings. I assure you, I will sleep great tonight. So, you can take your "snowball" and leave... GOODBYE

Evil Elvis
Evil Elvis's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/19/2008
"Name calling and trying to

"Name calling and trying to belittle people is more closed minded"

Funny how it seemed like a good idea a few posts up when you called us "snooty Fayette citizens". Pot, meet kettle.

scribbler
scribbler's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/01/2007
DontYouWorry: Who has a closed mind???
DontYouWorryBoutIt wrote:

If you were not there, dont't(sic) know the parties involved, or arent the judge, SHUT UP!!

***********

Your objections to free speech, open debate, and legitimate public inquiry are noted.

I am sure if you speak to the publishers of The Citizen they will QUICKLY AGREE WITH YOU -- and shut down the comment sections of this website--then you can just tell the columnists and reporters to SHUT UP! ...Voila!

You (and your several friends) --Are basically arguing that there should never be an inquiry into matters such as these because the EMT had such-n-such qualifications or credentials to his great credit - a ludicrous assertion.

If you read the posts carefully, you will see no one is yet found guilty--
...but there are some very hard questions and blank spaces in the record that demand answers.

You don't get answers unless you ask the right questions.

Asking these questions and getting to the answers is not persecution, or a finding of guilt, it is called investigation. It's not fun if you are under scrutiny--but it is a fact of life!

The questions raised in the public courts and this public forum are worth asking, and well-worth answering, with public safety in view. Isn't that important to you?

Now tell me again -- Who has a closed mind here???

DontYouWorryBoutIT
DontYouWorryBoutIT's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/17/2010
You do...

I dont care what the publishers of this paper do. Dont care if they agree or you agree or any one else agrees for that matter. I NEVER said there should not be an inquiry. For someone so smart, you are just plumb dumb. Inquire, inquire, inquire! Inquire until your face turns blue. Im saying dont persecute these people during said inquiry. Keep your mind open. Jason is as good as guilty in your book (at least according to your comments). There are these things called "protocols". These are what ALL fire departments operate under. They also operate under the direction of a physician or medical director, if you will (also known as a doctor, Dr., or M.D.) If the protocols for chest pain were followed (and we dont know either way), then Jason and the 10 others are all in the clear. Let me ask: Would you debate a pilot on the subject of flying if you were not a pilot? If not, then why debate a medic on the subject of EMS if you are not a medic? You are a smart person and probably make alot of money, but that doesnt mean you can treat people like they are dirt when you dont know them. How many meals have you missed because you were taking care of someone sick (a complete stranger) or fighting a fire? How many hours of sleep have you missed because "granny" 'dont feel good', or some moron decides to go out and drive drunk and crashes into a car full of teenagers? Now, try to miss these meals and sleep for chump change, because you fine citizens dont think public safety workers are worth being paid a good salary.

Evil Elvis
Evil Elvis's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/19/2008
LULZ In one post you say

LULZ

In one post you say "Name calling and trying to belittle people (because "IM SO EDUCATED, YOU ARE BENEATH ME") is more closed minded."

In another you say, "For someone so smart, you are just plumb dumb."

What are we snooty Fayette citizens to make of your inconsistencies?

scribbler
scribbler's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/01/2007
DontYouWorry: We are GOING TO KNOW....

The facts will come out in the course of the legal action....
Discovery, motions, trial, and the newshounds doing their job every step of the way.

The system will work... it usually does.

DontWorryAboutIt wrote:

If not, then why debate a medic on the subject of EMS if you are not a medic?

It's not about the science of EMS medicine and protocols now--bigger than that.

NOW -- it's about ALL OF THE FACTS AND ALLEGATIONS, and WHO? /WHAT? /HOW? it was involved in the treatment and death of Mr. Denney-- including the reasonable spectre of possibility that there was an attempt to cover-up /delay the finding of these facts.

The innocent will be vindicated--
...And those found at [negligent] fault (if any) will pay the price,

scribbler wrote:

I am grateful for EMT's, firefighters, doctors, ER Nurses, and everyone in the life-saving business. But when mistakes are made-- accountability is part of the landscape.

I sincerely meant that; and I have made a lot of sacrifices in my life for the living and the dying. Thanks for all you do.

We can't forget the burden of proof remains with the complainant which is quite a challenge in any case--even more of a hill to climb should the official infrastructure close ranks and hunker down.

BTW -- As long as the debate /defense is operating more on "emotion and devotion" than the facts of the matter--they will lose.

I've seen it go both ways-- this will be worth the watching.

Pass the popcorn.

Courthouserules
Courthouserules's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/02/2010
ER

Anytime one dies it is time! Whether he could have been saved or not.

You sound very touchy (fending off criticism of another person).

It would be nice if when one goes to a hospital they could simply relax and know that they are under the care of perfect people and that nothing could go wrong unless it already had.
Unfortunately, Hospitals, like everything else, have many bummers working in them.
People who get careless and hateful after so long doing the same stuff for unappreciative and ill people!

It is THE job however!

DontYouWorryBoutIT
DontYouWorryBoutIT's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/17/2010
Ill people? HA! Maybe 30% of

Ill people? HA! Maybe 30% of people who to the ER actually need to be there. Go do a few rotations in the ER and see how long you last. People abuse ER's and ER staffs to no end. GET A PRIVATE M.D.!!!

mluna
mluna's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/16/2010
Fayette Co EMS

I know Mr.Crenshaw, he is a top notch paramedic. He cares more about his patient than he should at times.

All I have to say about the case is that nobody knows what the hell happened, accept for the people there. I am sure the medics and EMTs on the scene have told not to comment on the case.

MajorMike
MajorMike's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/20/2005
Nobody knows what the hell happened?

Nobody knows what the hell happened? I'm sure that the coroner that was finally allowed to examine and autopsy Dickie Denney's remains has some idea of "what the hell happened" and his autopsy reports just happens to include his conclusions.

I had known Dickie Denney on and off for well over two decades and I can assure you that he was an honorable man. Common sense should at least hint to you that his wife Charlene falls in the same mold.

I have been the victim of medical malpractice and my mother died of Medical malpractice/malfeasance - MASSIVE prescription overdoses of pain killers and tranquilizers. I found out the hard way that the medical community covers it's own butt very well.

I am very interested to see how this shakes out in a court of law.

DontYouWorryBoutIT
DontYouWorryBoutIT's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/17/2010
Hmmm...

So, let me get this straight...If I'm a nice guy, then by default my wife is nice? That makes alot of sense, there pal...Honor has nothing to with this case. And yes, the coroner ( hired over a year later) does have some idea of what happened. Pretty convenient the coroner was "hired" by the family of the deceased. Money talks, Im just sayin...

eyeopener
eyeopener's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/17/2010
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

I'm back you dumb idiot EMT. You so stupid or you cannot read the article. The article says the coroner waited over a year to release juridiction so the medical examiner could sign a death certificate. What do you think the coroner was waiting on to do this holding up a death certificate from the widow? What is your logic for this since you are so smart.

can't remember which one of you EMts put some sappy blog about poor cannot eat EMTs.....Most of the one's I have seen in this county look obese!! How can they run and put out fires.....Look around you. Do you see any that look like they had to skip a meal? I never seen so many fat asses in my life in this county. So don't go making up bs about poor ole EMTs have to skip meals if this does happen they sure as hell make up for it when they get back to the station. How about the leaders are they physicaly fit, slim and trim? Do they have to miss meals also? I see a heart attack lurking around all of you! But that's okay because God only gives you so many heart beats and then it's your time to go, Right?

eyeopener
eyeopener's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/17/2010
HMMMMMMMMMMM
eyeopener wrote:

I'm back you dumb idiot EMT. You so stupid or you cannot read the article. The article says the coroner waited over a year to release juridiction so the medical examiner could sign a death certificate. What do you think the coroner was waiting on to do this holding up a death certificate from the widow? What is your logic for this since you are so smart.

can't remember which one of you EMts put some sappy blog about poor cannot eat EMTs.....Most of the one's I have seen in this county look obese!! How can they run and put out fires.....Look around you. Do you see any that look like they had to skip a meal? I never seen so many fat asses in my life in this county. So don't go making up bs about poor ole EMTs have to skip meals if this does happen they sure as hell make up for it when they get back to the station. How about the leaders are they physicaly fit, slim and trim? Do they have to miss meals also? I see a heart attack lurking around all of you! But that's okay because God only gives you so many heart beats and then it's your time to go, Right?

DontYouWorryBoutIT
DontYouWorryBoutIT's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/17/2010
Well...

First of all, it would be "you ARE so stupid..." Second of all, yeah, I can read and did read the article, you are stupid for thinking I didnt. I hope that you never need to call for help from all these FAT STUPID EMT's. They would probably have to call for backup anyway to pick up your fat ass. Dont you sit in your nice little computer chair and judge me. You dont know me. You are not that lucky. ANYTIME you think you can hang, you can work a shift with me. Then we will see....signed, a dumb idiot emt

Evil Elvis
Evil Elvis's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/19/2008
@DontYouWorryBoutIt I'm

@DontYouWorryBoutIt

I'm shocked by how frequently you resort to name-calling after chiding others for doing it. What is the reason for this hypocrisy?

eyeopener
eyeopener's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/17/2010
"a dumb idiot emt"

I think I could "hang" and work a shift with you. I will bring my cook book and X Box and plenty of one's for poker. What's our hours are they 12 on and 24 off? Tell me. We will have fun especialy chatting online. I will bring my I phone and text while I'm in back of ambulance with the "crazies" I'll bring champaign if you got the other. We have a blast.
I'm excited now. Let me know when I show to "hang" with you.

I don't know if you want to hang with the FBI though!

ILuvFayette
ILuvFayette's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/07/2005
eyeopener.....

Are you really trying to convince us that you are "FBI"???? If that is true, you just brought my respect for FBI down quite a few notches!!!

With the comments you have posted, you make Fayette County citizens sound obnoxious and arrogant. After reading all of your very childish rants, I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I am a fellow Fayette County citizen.

Maybe you should wait until all the facts/findings are made before criticizing someone or something you obviously know nothing about.

dollparts13
dollparts13's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/16/2010
Actually..

I don't appreciate your rude comments, and I am not 12. Not only am I married to a medic, but I am a nurse, and have plenty of other medical professionals in my family. So no, I am not living in a dream world, I happen to be educated, and I am willing to bet you don't know what you're talking about, since apparently all you have to do is sit on a newspaper website and criticize and patronize someone you do not know.
Oh, and great job with the play on words. That's pretty impressive... You speak of dolls, dollyworld, and the boogyman. Instead, take your own advice, and "Don't state what you don't know"

DontYouWorryBoutIT
DontYouWorryBoutIT's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/17/2010
Hey Doll, you cant let these

Hey Doll, you cant let these closed minded idiots get to you. You know how the system really works as does your husband.

Mikeyc
Mikeyc's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/14/2009
OOOP'S

Dontyouworryboutit, you slipped out of character here. This should have been posted under one of your other alias’s (eyeopener, elvis?)

Evil Elvis
Evil Elvis's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/19/2008
And yet another blast of

And yet another blast of name-calling. I'm getting the feeling you only disapprove of it when done by others.

What-ever
What-ever's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/15/2010
EMS

I have been in the business for a long time and seen alot of stuff. The people in this line of work do it to help people not hurt them. I have worked with Jason and dont buy what is being said. Most healthy people will not have a list of medications in their back pocket. I think at the end of this you will see that it was the mans time to go meet his master. Always remember that GOD made your heart to beat so many times....He is the only one that knows how many times that is. I tell all of you again....We are in this job because we love to help people. Jason is a great medic and you will see that when all this BS is over.

interestedIN
interestedIN's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/15/2010
Great Word

We do truly do this because we love it. I can think of about 1 Million things I could do that would pay more money or be less stressful. As the Doctor below states, we dont wake up every morning and say "how many will I kill today." Saving your life in your worst moments is what keeps us going. Trust me, it is not the money or the politics. Again, Jason is a great medic and has saved many many lives. One spur of the moment decision whether right or wrong cant convince me that he isnt.

What-ever you said it perfectly. Our days and our heart beats are numbered. Fayette County you make Emergency work impossible and that there is why I no longer work in this county. I got sick of hearing Politics. Fayette County you have a fantastic Fire Department. I went to school with a lot of them. Respect those guys and girls more than you do. Taking them to court out of sadness or loss is not respect.

I hope that Jason comes out on top of this one.

firejunkie
firejunkie's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/16/2010
Sorry

Sorry

Spyglass
Spyglass's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/28/2008
Sounds like this guy had plenty of health issues..

I'm sorry he lost his life, but blaming the EMT's seems a bit of a stretch.

" According to the lawsuit filed by Fayetteville attorney John Mrosek, Denney had worked his way through a series of heart attacks and had attained a good state of health after the installation of a pacemaker."

Courthouserules
Courthouserules's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/02/2010
SPY

With all of these new gripers joining here just since the death, it seems to me something else is going on! Has to do with the law suite maybe?
("fat EMTs; idiots; terrible patients; and the insinuations that EMTs or paramedics hate their jobs")

In the past if someone died or got worse in an ambulance, it was accepted that everyone did all they were capable of with a good mood.
These Recessions do bring out problems, huh?

Whether he had a pacemaker or not or had previous problems has absolutely NOTHING to do with this occasion! Take a lot of proof to prove otherwise!

I think it boils down to things like this used to be accepted, but nowadays we live in the world of gotcha----good sometimes, bad sometimes!

Medical personnel of all types are under the gun right now for costs and attitude. It is 30% of our economy!

eyeopener
eyeopener's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/17/2010
GOTCHA!

I think you may have a good point. "These Recessions do bring out problems, huh?"

Could this mean the EMTs may have resented the dead man because he was what is the rumor around town "wealthy!"? Good point if this is true people do resent those that have and those that don't may decide they have the power without money to take you down?

God help this world because Fayette County is full of those that "haves" so they better find another way to get to the ER!

eyeopener
eyeopener's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/17/2010
GOTCHA!
eyeopener wrote:

I think you may have a good point. "These Recessions do bring out problems, huh?"

Could this mean the EMTs may have resented the dead man because he was what is the rumor around town "wealthy!"? Good point if this is true people do resent those that have and those that don't may decide they have the power without money to take you down?

God help this world because Fayette County is full of those that "haves" so they better find another way to get to the ER!

snowball1950
snowball1950's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/14/2010
Spyglass

Get Windex and clean your spyglass..........you may need a clearer vision...You get it?

Spyglass
Spyglass's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/28/2008
So he had no health issues?

Multiple Heart Attacks doesn't exactly sound so good, Just saying....

snowball1950
snowball1950's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/14/2010
dollparts?

Dollparts? Sweet....

You are so right but like in your own words wait and see.........this is not Dollywood or Disneyland and dolls are not real...don't state what you don't know....when you do know you will throw down the dolly and scream with anger and FEAR!!!!

God Bless You Dolly...you are safe from the boogy man untill one day you will be in the real world like the widow and then you will realize you are not safe.

dollparts13
dollparts13's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/16/2010
Medical care

I agree with the doctor. There are so many cases where a medical professional tries their hardest to help or save, and they receive a lawsuit for their good intentions. Sometimes, no matter what... It is just someone's time. If there was an error, then yes, there is wrongdoing; however, this little article from the citizen does NOT show everything that happened. It does not tell you what EMS had in their pt's history.
Fayette county, don't bad mouth the people taking care of you. Everyone makes mistakes, and when they do, they will pay for them. But you all are not the judge, and are not the ones that make that decision.

Inthecold
Inthecold's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/06/2009
I know Jason Crenshaw, and he

I know Jason Crenshaw, and he is full of himself. He is arrogant, and rude, but has saved many lives. As for the patient treatment, did he treat the chest pain with oxygen, nitro and aspirin prior to giving morphine. Chest pain of 3/10 may not have required morphine to treat the pain. Was the 12 lead EKG showing an ischemic or injury pattern? Did the patient truly need morphine to control his pain? A patient having chest pain severe enough to require morphine, needs to be transported to a local hospital. In addition, did the local hospital act as medical control, and allow the Fayette County EMS transport the patient to Emory after giving the morphine.

After reading the article, it reminds me of private EMS, and their lack of care. Also, I feel a coverup taking place from CJ.

snowball1950
snowball1950's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/14/2010
Inthe cold

At least your are not "inthedark"!!

Must be another EMT on this blog? What do you think of an EMT that drinks Mountain Dew on duty? But needs something stronger? Do you play Mafia Wars while on duty as others do?

snowball1950
snowball1950's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/14/2010
Scibbler

Read my reply to you.....Thanks for thinking outside the box.....You are the only savy and real blogger on here.

scribbler
scribbler's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/01/2007
Snowball

Thanks for your kind remarks.

normal
normal's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/11/2009
Easy money

Times are tough. Maybe they need some extra easy money. Sure wish they had a loser pay in court. That would stop a lot of this. But just maybe there is good reason here. Just maybe some bad decisions were made. We all screw up. No one is a perfect. I just hate to see the so much time wasted in courts. The only winners are the lawyers. And you cant believe any of them thats for sure

interestedIN
interestedIN's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/15/2010
Crenshaw

As someone who used to work alongside Jason Crenshaw, I doubt he would ever ever treat a patient with disrespect. In a matter a fact, I laughed when reading the comment that he was angry at the Patient. As a paramedic myself, I would have given Mr Denney the same dose of Morphine for chest pain. It always floors me that people call us to their home and then tell us what to or not to do. If Jason felt that the patient was stable then it is likely he was stable
As far as the 15 minutes stop goes...he may have coded (who knows) then I would have requested help to revive the patient. With One driver and One Medic had they kept driving he would have had no chance. I hope that Mrs Denney is put in her place. This is awhole lot of crap. I am sorry for her loss, but dont blame the people who met you at your home and did their best, with their little pay to save your husband. I respect Jason and learned a lot from him when I was in school. Whenever I have been in an emergency situation in Tyrone and he showed up, I was always at peace because he is that great! Get off the Paramedics back. Also, why moan and groan about it in the paper. Most of these men and woman do this because they love it.

doctorcare
doctorcare's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/15/2010
Paramedics

As a doctor I can't wait for the day to come when emergency medical care is no longer available to people because we are all too afraid to practice medicine any longer. Why in the world would any paramedic have to consult with the wife of a patient to administer narcotics to them? Morphine is a very heart friendly medication and is the drug of choice for cardiac related chest pain.

As for "why did the ambulance pull over?" I'm sorry if it seems easy on television or where ever you are getting your medical information from, it is not easy to establish an airway, intubate, and treat a cardiac arrest in the back of what is essentially a pick up truck that is riding down the road.

Obviously you are trying to downplay the seriousness of the patients cardiac issues. Why in the world would an ambulance have to respond so often to someones house who is "in a good state of health". And who takes oxycontin for years if they are healthy? Give me a break!

Also, just for a side note for the citizens of Fayette County. When you are having chest pain, don't request to be driven to a hospital in Atlanta. That pretty much tells everyone that you don't need to be riding in an ambulance in the first place. If you can go all the way to Emory, get in your car, don't tie up a local 911 ambulance for this. If your really having chest pain you need to go to the local hospital.

Not everyone in the medical field is a saint. But most of us try to do the best we can. We don't get up in the morning and think "who am I going to kill today?" Take responsibility for your health and take care of your body. If you leave it up to everyone else to do so you will be sorry because we can only take care of so many people at once. And stop the crazy lawsuits. Before your doctors stop taking care of you!

Evil Elvis
Evil Elvis's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/19/2008
EPIC FAIL Hint: Doctors know

EPIC FAIL

Hint: Doctors know you're, your and you are.

"If your really having chest pain you need to go to the local hospital."

Courthouserules
Courthouserules's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/02/2010
If you stop taking care of

If you stop taking care of us, we will put you in jail!

Never heard anyone before say to take someone to the hospital in a car.
Can't be treated there, can they.
You aren't a very good person to speak for medical personnel!
wasn't' it the Coroner who said he was in good health?

Of course ALL medical people are Saints! Just like Mother Teresa!

skyspy
skyspy's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2005
Frivolous Lawsuits Hurt All of Us

How much oxycontin had this person consumed in the hours preceding the call for help? Was this addictive drug being taken exactly as the Dr. prescribed?? Why on earth had this person in "good health" been taking a highly addictive dangerous drug for years??

Where is that bottle of medicine? Has it already been thrown out so that no one will be able to determine how much of an overdose this person in "good health" took???

The only time I have heard of that an ambulance has to stop is when the person's heart has stopped. It takes 2 of them to work on a person whose heart has stopped. I doubt they were taking a coffee break. The fact that they obviously called for back up should tell us all how serious this was.

Also, which Dr. or ER gave the orders for the medication?? My brother is a paramedic in another state, and administers drugs only after a DR.s orders.

Lots of questions need to be answered here.

I 'm sorry for your loss, but this smells like a scam.

scribbler
scribbler's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/01/2007
A good case....

If the facts alleged in the complaint (especially "knock him out" for the ride)--can be set forth clearly in court -- this one will be expensive.

There is a lot of suspicion and a lot to explain about the 15-minute delay on the roadside. Supervisors /watch commanders were there? Who knew what??... and when??

If this delay was more about "getting their story straight" than trying to save the patient's life -- there should be some terminations -- post haste.

It seems the hospital staff and perhaps the coroner (unwittingly?) contributed to the circle-the-wagons mentality around the EMT errors.

Anytime a family member -- or-- staff; Anyone who attended the treatments of the deceased patient voices a suspicion of avoidable errors or foul-play -- the autopsy should be "automatic".

The coroner insisted otherwise -- and the family indeed had an independent autopsy performed. I predict they will get their money back!

I expect that after pre-trial discovery, a settlement will be forthcoming, which will not include "the admission of any wrongdoing" and we will be back to business as usual.

ER RN
ER RN's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/17/2010
Get the facts

Everyone is talking about a delay at the side of the road. Have any of you tried to perform CPR, maintain an airway and give live saving drugs while driving down our country roads and at fast speed? It is impossible and the delay would have been to get other help while utilizing the crew at hand to contniue to safe his life. Also, those times are all recorded and can be made exact. Why don't you all let CJ do his job? The state mandates criteria for automatic autopsies and if a primary physician signs a death certificate then there is no need for an autopsy if the coroner agrees. Did the patient have a primary physician? He could have requested an autopsy but owe the family would have had to pay for it???? That is quite interesting to find that a autopsy was done a year later in another county and that it took a year to find someone to do it.??? That is a clue that it was not needed. Scribbler, that is just what you are doing, scribbling. What do you know?

scribbler
scribbler's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/01/2007
ER RN: YOU NEED THE FACTS!
ER RN wrote:

That is quite interesting to find that a autopsy was done a year later in another county and that it took a year to find someone to do it.??? .

ER RN wrote:

Why don't you all let CJ do his job

The autopsy was delayed for a year by our own esteemed coroner. That FACT appears to be established.

Citizen Article wrote:

Mr. Mowell refused to issue a death certificate in this case. It was only after he released jurisdiction in August of 2010, more than a year later, that another medical examiner was able to issue a death certificate showing the cause of death to be ‘opiate overuse.’”

Yes, nurse, I am a writer-- I scribble a lot.

I know how to break paragraphs...
...and put thoughts in sequential order,
....and de-fuse my emotions before attacking those who hold a contrary opinion to my own. That's what open and civilized debate is all about. You should try it!

ER RN wrote:

What do you know?

I know how to ask ALL the RIGHT QUESTIONS, and stick around until the answers are forthcoming; ESPECIALLY IN MATTERS OF PUBLIC SAFETY-- AND THE CONDUCT OF OUR PUBLIC OFFICIALS.

I know where this is this much smoke, something is burning.

I know that so many friends of this young EMT are so vehemently emotional trying to defend him and this situation-- I can't help but wonder what he told them privately. Hmmmm....

I know that I have several more decades of life experience than yourself and your young colleagues, and have seen more of these situations from both sides.

I am grateful for EMT's, firefighters, doctors, ER Nurses, and everyone in the life-saving business. But when mistakes are made-- accountability is part of the landscape.

If the answers were easy and clear... and had been placed on the table in the sense of transparency, we wouldn't be having this debate; and there would likely be no lawsuit. What does that tell you?

You might care to read my response to your friend "yeahwhatever" below.

Courthouserules
Courthouserules's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/02/2010
ER RN ??

You obviously are not and EMT.

They are trained to do everything you said couldn't be done!
Usually touchy things are done before they pull out.

I have never seen an ambulance parked for any amount of time with a hospital patient inside going to one.

yeahwhatever
yeahwhatever's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/09/2008
scribbler/shyster

Facts? You mean accusations or allegations. Delay on roadside? Common when patients take a turn for the worse and more help is needed - the driver gets in the back to assist until more help arrives. Getting their story straight? Yeah, all those healthcare providers are going to go along with a cover-up for one person's alleged error. Admission of wrongdoing? There has to be wrongdoing in the first place. It is humorous that you just assume that all statements made by the family member are true. You sound suspiciously like an ambulance chaser.

scribbler
scribbler's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/01/2007
yeahwhatever

"IF"... "ALLEGED"... "SUSPICION"... "OPEN QUESTIONS?-?-?-?"

It's called "context" -- and sets the tone for what is written or spoken.
You might want to re-read my previous post with an open mind.

Popping-off rudely and issuing insults only reveals your emotional involvement and lets everyone know you haven't done your homework.
*********

(1) Did your buddy decide to "knock him out for the ride" -- what facts have you about that?? Please tell us!

(2) The roadside delay/mystery?? Do you have the facts here also??
FYI - your loose set of assumptions will not be sufficient under oath.

(2a) Who was there-- a list of all the players?

(2b) Who has all the facts about this EMT'S pre-transport protocol and enroute treatments /counter-measures?

(2c) When were supervisors brought into the loop?

(2d) Who was giving orders during/after the stop??

(2e) What would a transcript of the radio logs and cellphones tell us?

(3) Do you think it's possible?? --for public-safety agencies /local governments /officials to close ranks very quickly when errors in judgment and practice occur in the field? (Please don't continue in your naivete).

(4) There are a lot of frivolous lawsuits. You seem to think this is one of them--- I have a different view of the possibilities. We have an honest disagreement. Let's see how it plays out.

(5) The reason lawsuits are allowed under the law of the land is to settle serious disputes on a level and impartial playing field. The loss of life is a serious dispute, even though your friend is under the microscope. If he is innocent of wrongdoing-- he will be vindicated.

IF--IF--IF the ALLEGATIONS are proven and his errors caused a wrongful death he should be sanctioned or terminated. That's how it works.

If there was an active conspiracy to cover-up the facts of the matter-- a crime was committed and someone should go to jail! That's also how life works.

AFTER PRE-TRIAL DISCOVERY--
There may be a dismissal of this case (for lack of merit)....
--OR--
...If the case moves forward-- a settlement forthcoming without admission of wrongdoing. Back to work.

Can you get your head around that?

For the record:
I am not a lawyer ---yet I greatly resent your slurs against my several very honorable friends who practice in the legal profession. Grow up.

yeahwhatever
yeahwhatever's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/09/2008
Scribbler - the conspiracy theorist

Your lack of knowledge in the area of EMS operations is evident in your rambling and nonsensical ravings about what may or may not have been happening on the call. Speaking of continuing in naivete, do you really think that eleven people are of such low character that they would all conspire to cover up a mistake (alleged) by one person? Perhaps you and your "honorable" friends should subpeona the President, the Pope, and Colonel Sanders in case they were involved or just might be able to shed some new light on what happened....while you're at it please advise us on your latest crackpot theory on who's really responsible for 9/11.

Why don't you look at the complainant's side of the matter as critically as you have the defendant's side?? Do you have a sympathetic viewpoint? With the knowledge of EMS that I possess it would be easy for me to ask critical questions and paint the complainant in an unflattering light, but that would be as inappropriate as your uninformed hypothesizing.

In this post you state, "If he is innocent of wrongdoing he will be vindicated." Previously you stated, "I expect that after pre-trial discovery, a settlement will be forthcoming, which will not include 'the admission of any wrongdoing' and we will be back to business as usual." So which is it? You convict him first, then offer a chance at innocence on second thought? If anyone is "popping off rudely" it is you with your assumptions of guilt and condemnation.

As for the "slur" about your "honorable" friends, I said YOU SOUND like an ambulance chaser - I stand by that because of your obvious bias for the complainant. That in no way indicates that all attorneys are bad or that you actually are one.

Get your head around that, stop slinging mud sprinkled with little league legalese, and demonstrate some maturity yourself.

scribbler
scribbler's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/01/2007
yeahwhatever; be a realist!
yeahwhatever wrote:

Why don't you look at the complainant's side of the matter as critically as you have the defendant's side??

Once the patient was treated and transported, the complainant was little more than a spectator.

This widow has waited patiently for an objective medical examiner's findings before filing the legal complaint through competent legal counsel. Looks from here like they have their part in reasonably good order.

OTOH -- When the ELECTED CORONER refuses to render findings in the death, and ends up only ceding jurisdiction after a year's delay -- well ---serious questions are in play about the entire matter. What are we hiding?? --and why? Can you understand the idea of "reasonable suspicion"?

Reasonable suspicion is a long way from conspiracy theory.

You guys want to debate EMS protocols-- what you don't seem to get-- the arena has expanded now-- the lights are on much brighter.

As I replied to your buddy DontWorryAboutIt:

scribbler wrote:

It's not about the science of EMS medicine and protocols now--bigger than that.

NOW -- it's about ALL OF THE FACTS AND ALLEGATIONS, and WHO? /WHAT? /HOW? it was involved in the treatment and death of Mr. Denney-- including the reasonable spectre of possibility that there was an attempt to cover-up /delay the finding of these facts.

The ball is rolling--
We'll see how it ends up; and how high up the food chain the effects are felt here in the county.

As a longtime resident, I'm am keenly interested to see the public safety system work as it should-- that includes the performance and integrity of those we have elected to oversee your dedicated work.

Which is it??
I merely expanded my first remarks -- if your buddy is in the clear-- great. If he is at fault, --OR-- the legal outcomes are even uncertain, the county's lawyers and insurance company will make a settlement offer--which I am sure will include terms of "no admission of fault or wrongdoing". That's just how it is done.

If the plaintiff's refuse the offer-- all bets are off. All your friends involved are going to have to fasten their seat belts.

From here-- the plaintiff's are on a crusade to right some wrongs, and demand higher accountability from the department.

Asking hard questions and seeking the answers is not mud-slinging.
We'll see who is spouting nonsense and ravings soon enough.

Enjoy the ride.

eyeopener
eyeopener's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/17/2010
Enjoy the ride

Scribbler knows something. Scribbler is laughing at all the emts because he knows what happened to Mr. Denney.

Scribbler knows the plaintiff is on a crusade to right some wrongs and demand higher accountability from the department heads.

I will be right there with scribbler "Enjoying the ride" I am sure Mr. Denney is now "enjoying the ride" with us to see what kind of justice he will get for the loss of his life!

A lot of friends and a lot of US Dept. of Justice will be on that ride as well!

Have a great weekend!

eyeopener
eyeopener's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/17/2010
Enjoy the Ride
eyeopener wrote:

Scribbler knows something. Scribbler is laughing at all the emts because he knows what happened to Mr. Denney.

Scribbler knows the plaintiff is on a crusade to right some wrongs and demand higher accountability from the department heads.

I will be right there with scribbler "Enjoying the ride" I am sure Mr. Denney is now "enjoying the ride" with us to see what kind of justice he will get for the loss of his life!

A lot of friends and a lot of US Dept. of Justice will be on that ride as well!

Have a great weekend!

snowball1950
snowball1950's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/14/2010
yeahwhatever

Your title sounds just like the answers obtained from so-called investigators....hahahahaha!!

Come on! This is not Disneyland and there is no tooth fairy......Think!

Don't be so cruel speaking of attorneys....One day you will need one I am sure of it! Show some respect for attorneys for a change.........you have the good with the bad just like EMTs.....don't condem all for a few bad apples that need to be squeezed out!

snowball1950
snowball1950's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/14/2010
yeahwhatever

HAHAHA! Funny,,,,,,,,,,,,,When did you get your license...........are you on the list?

snowball1950
snowball1950's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/14/2010
"This Time No Back To Business as Usual"

Looks like scribbler is the only savy blogger here.....Lot of good points! Very smart! Looks like some suspect bloggers on here....the "doctor" is out of order and in contempt of court!
I am sure the plaintiff has her ducks in a row or she would not have filed a suit..........How else can one get justice in this country legaly? How else can changes be made to help the safety of all people if suits are not filed to get to the "answers and truths"?

These bloggers are in for a big surprise! To all the comments made about the "dead man" and the "widow looking for a fast buck" and the phony bloggers ....why don't you have the guts like the widow in this suit and do something for the benefit of mankind..........Think About It......It could be your daddy or mother or son or daughter or sister or brother that has a terrible tragidy happen in your life....What will you do my fellow brothers and sisters?

Stand up and be counted for in this life or you lose!!!!

Thanks scribbler.....it is refreshing to know there are some in this county that think outside the box.

snowball1950
snowball1950's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/14/2010
"This Time No Nack To Business as Usual"
snowball1950 wrote:

Looks like scribbler is the only savy blogger here.....Lot of good points! Very smart! Looks like some suspect bloggers on here....the "doctor" is out of order and in contempt of court!
I am sure the plaintiff has her ducks in a row or she would not have filed a suit..........How else can one get justice in this country legaly? How else can changes be made to help the safety of all people if suits are not filed to get to the "answers and truths"?

These bloggers are in for a big surprise! To all the comments made about the "dead man" and the "widow looking for a fast buck" and the phony bloggers ....why don't you have the guts like the widow in this suit and do something for the benefit of mankind..........Think About It......It could be your daddy or mother or son or daughter or sister or brother that has a terrible tragidy happen in your life....What will you do my fellow brothers and sisters?

Stand up and be counted for in this life or you lose!!!!

Thanks scribbler.....it is refreshing to know there are some in this county that think outside the box.

yeahwhatever
yeahwhatever's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/09/2008
Congrats....

Private Snowball1950, I've read all your posts up to this point and you get the "Most Typing Without Contributing Anything To The Conversation Award!" CONGRATS!!!! (This will be my only reply to one of your posts - to reply again would be a waste of keystrokes)

Courthouserules
Courthouserules's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/02/2010
scribbler

Yes, I agree.
"Back to business as usual." A payoff by taxpayers, and not in court at all---are you kidding---doctors, hospitals, EMTs in court in Fayette?

Just like Judges, DAs, Chiefs of anything, commissioners of anything,
and against people with good lawyers from Philadelphia.
(or on TV).

We criticize other countries for operating like that, don't we.

By the way, I know I occasionally indulge into truths that hinder the normal operation of the way we do certain things, and can easily tell who thinks some are due consideration above others that we fear, but I don't care!

scribbler
scribbler's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/01/2007
CHRS--OPEN SYSTEM

Very few "other countries" have such an open civil court system...
...And are guaranteed the "redress of grievances" in their constitution.

The option to settle a tort case for a consent decree is often the best end to the legal complaint.

The main next thing---
We really need "loser pays" to put an end to the bringing of frivolous actions.

Sure you know-- the county has liability insurance.
Yes -- the taxpayers pay the premiums for same.

Have a good day.

Courthouserules
Courthouserules's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/02/2010
scribbler

County has liability insurance!

Who pays for that?

Does it make other insurance more expensive?

Think once in awhile!

cburnes128
cburnes128's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/14/2010
As a retired EMT, I can tell

As a retired EMT, I can tell you that EMT's do not administer morphine. Morphine would be administered only by a paramedic and then with standing protocols for chest pains. (1-2 ml, titrating to pain relief.) As a retired coroner, I can tell you that the Georgia Death Investigation Act requires the coroner to order a autopsy in an unnatural death. To not do so would violate his oath of office and he can be charged with a crime. The on-duty medical examiner at GBI/DOFS only goes by the info he is provided by the local coroner. I am suspicious that this Charlene Denney is either trying to get $$$$ from the county and/or state. Jerry Gowitt is above reproach. Do they still have the vial that the morphine was administered from? Validate the dose and strength of the MS itself.

Also, since oxycodone was already in his system and it was a valid Rx, it could be listed as contributing to the opiate intoxication. Interestingly, it does not say that the intoxication was "acute." Sounds like to me that it was the poor old man's time to die and the distraught/guilt-fed widow is trying to make a buck. The question is not why did he die, but how did he live so long? Think about it!

Courthouserules
Courthouserules's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/02/2010
cburnes128: Paramedics, etc.

I agree with some on here that some "new" members here sound prejudiced too soon!

However, as to the man who died, we must wait and let all the evidence be fairly investigated (as named by a competent lawyer, of course)before we start saying who can do this and who can do that, and where are the vials and the lab tests, and it was the man's time to go, etc.!

Ever since the widows, etc., of 9/11 in New York got over a million dollars in donations and law suits to come, everyone who feels cheated or is crooked is filing lawsuits----mostly because others got rich off death.
The people in New Orleans and now on the Gulf Coast also want to be made rich by donations and lawsuits.

There are also some who call emergency for a ride to the hospital at the drop of a hat or unnecessarily---this on occasion does anger emergency people who make the calls. It shouldn't but that is human nature.
Usually insurance companies will buck such repeated use but if one doesn't have any insurance, then it is on the house sometimes!

None of that matters however if someone is truly sick, but if a patient in that supposed bad health isn't under a doctor's treatment with proper medications, then the question arises as to why not!

It also doesn't do any of us any good to accuse the widow of false intentions without a proper investigation.

And by the way: no one is "above reproach" when they are a part of an organization in contention!

Have you ever heard of a policeman who was witness to a cop in trouble for excess beatings say that yes, it was excessive! He says nothing usually.
Same with most organizations. I see no difference in that and Coroners and EMTs, and hospitals, etc. Unfortunately it is human nature to allow past "good deeds" to sometimes cover one possible "bad one."
Politics is also full of this sort of logic.
Let the facts come out first. If the widow, and not an EMT or the dead man's doctor, is wrong about a lawsuit, so be it.

GracePureheart
GracePureheart's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/14/2010
Wrongful Death

Forget this case! Let's concentrate on SPLOST!! If we had more roads it would only take EMT's 30 minutes instead of an hour to get to PFH!! Come on!! WE NEED ROADS NOW!!

Courthouserules
Courthouserules's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/02/2010
11 EMTs

Might as well charge the whole medical community!

I didn't know Fayette had that many TOTAL?

How did that many get mixed up with one trip case?
Do they get paid for going?
Is that why the price is $800.00?

I fear that is one area the new Medicare will check on and reduce payment.
Too many, too much.

hera2010
hera2010's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/14/2010
Forget this case? Are you

Forget this case? Are you insane? A family man died at the carelessness of the EMTS and you just wanna forget it and worry about roads?????

Insayn
Insayn's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/29/2008
hera,

I think that was an attempt at sarcasm. But be carefull accusing someone of carelessness when you weren't there. There's always two sides to every story and we're only getting one side: the side that sells papers.

Mikeyc
Mikeyc's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/14/2009
A new Troll

Two new identities, created today, GracePureheart and hera2010. The first makes an obscene and outrageous comment about our neighbor’s death, and then the second obliges the first by responding with outrage.
This is just a Troll, sitting there playing with themself, waiting for others to take the bait and jump in. PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS! Let this thread end here please.

snowball1950
snowball1950's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/14/2010
EMTs wrongful death

What is going on Fayette County? Suit after suit on and on. Are we safe in this county?

yeahwhatever
yeahwhatever's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/09/2008
Litigious world

Just because there is a lawsuit doesn't mean there was any wrongdoing. That remains to be seen and may never be known for sure. If you base your safety on an absence of lawsuits you'll never be safe...of course, you never were and never will be completely safe in this world anyway.

snowball1950
snowball1950's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/14/2010
To Litigate

You are so right......If not for litigations for truths to come out then no one is ever safe....when truths come out people demand changes in our safety....

hera2010
hera2010's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/14/2010
EMTs wrongful death

This is awful. I can not believe that this happened in our county. It makes me scared to even call 911 now.

MYTMITE
MYTMITE's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/14/2008
Hmm, these two new posters seem very suspect to me------

Both new just in time to post these prejudiced posts. Hmmm

Recent Comments