How about at-large voting for Congress?

I would like for Mr. Mahoney to consider for a moment how he might feel about at-large voting for Congressmen. I understand the system doesn’t function like that but, humor me.

In the last election the Republican Party kept control of the House of Representatives. Curiously there were more votes cast for Democratic candidates throughout the country, yet there are 33 less Democrats than Republicans currently sitting in the House. Now how did that happen and is that representative of the will of the people?

Every 10 years states are reapportioned based on the U.S. Census. That reapportionment in each state is performed by whatever party happens to be in power in that state. Republicans controlled enough state houses to gerrymander enough districts so that in spite of their general unpopularity, they continue to run the House of Representatives.

Wouldn’t a more “fair” and representative method of governance be at-large voting for Congressmen? Why is that any different from the debate we’re enduring right now in Fayette County?

You could use the scale argument or the culture argument or the history argument, but in the end it would still devolve to fairness and representation. I detest the Republican fools in the House of Representatives but I understand how they came to be where they are.

I’m also familiar with the arguments put forth at the Constitutional Convention and certainly don’t fault those gentlemen for their pragmatism.

So don’t tell me we need district voting on a national level but those same precepts somehow don’t apply on a local level.

Finally I thank Mr. Mahoney for hanging himself with his own words. (“One has to wonder why blacks started coming to Fayetteville in the first place” ... holy Buddha Batman).

The U.S. Supreme Court just overturned the pre-clearance section of the Voting Rights Act because the states to which that section applied are free of the shenanigans which led to those protections in the first place ... aren’t they?

I am mailing my $30 to the NAACP this morning.
Timothy J. Parker
Peachtree City, Ga.

Mike Mahoney
Mike Mahoney's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/29/2008
The "fools in the House..."
Letters to the Editor wrote:

I understand the system doesn’t function like that but, humor me.

A condescending attitude doesn't do much for your credibility Mr. Parker.

This all started with the brouhaha over challenges and changes demanded by the NAACP, it's race activist minions and a Federal judge. I believe at-large voting in Fayette county better serves all citizens of this county. Apparently Mr. Parker and I are in agreement here. What happens at the Federal level I, and most citizens of this country, have little control over. Much like the Electoral College there are many instruments of the election processes that could be improved or changed. Again, there is some agreement. But then ...

Letters to the Editor wrote:

In the last election the Republican Party kept control of the House of Representatives. Curiously there were more votes cast for Democratic candidates throughout the country, yet there are 33 less Democrats than Republicans currently sitting in the House. Now how did that happen and is that representative of the will of the people?

It's starting to smell like an agenda around here ...

Letters to the Editor wrote:

I detest the Republican fools in the House of Representatives but I understand how they came to be where they are.

I thought so.

Letters to the Editor wrote:

So don’t tell me we need district voting on a national level but those same precepts somehow don’t apply on a local level.

I don't believe I have ...told you that it's okay for district voting at the Federal level. That's called putting words into my mouth and another notch down in credibility Mr. Parker. You assume a lot about me ...maybe even stereotype a little ...not good things to do either.

So let me get this straight. Help me here Tim (I'm sure you will) 'cause I want to make sure I understand exactly where you're coming from. You believe an at-large voting system can better represent the population; both here in Fayette County and potentially at the Federal level. You make a good argument for it at the Federal level; it has some merit. You claim at-large voting is a "fair" system:

Letters to the Editor wrote:

Wouldn’t a more “fair” and representative method of governance be at-large voting for Congressmen? Why is that any different from the debate we’re enduring right now in Fayette County?

Yet because the Federal Government chooses to use a less "fair" system, district voting, we here in Fayette County should adopt and mimic the district voting system our Federal Government uses.

"So don’t tell me we need district voting on a national level but those same precepts somehow don’t apply on a local level."

Have I got it? You would give up a system that, by your own words and understanding, is far better for one that is far worse simply because it is used by Washington. Right.

And hanging myself Mr. Parker? I don't think so. One "sound byte" taken out of context ...seasoned with a little dash of spin ...means nothing ...you know that. It's a cheap shot. I mean come on, you sound like one of those "...fools in the House of Representatives ..." you so detest. On the other hand I would question anyone's judgement in selecting and supporting a form of government that does a lesser job representing the will of the people simply because our Federal Government uses it. Yikes!

Oh, and by the way, I will not be sending $30 to the NAACP.

stranger than f...
stranger than fiction's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/27/2012
Mr. Parker's Logic holds up

I find myself in the unusual position of agreeing with Mr. Parker here as his analogy holds up very well. A representative government works best when its leaders "represent" the electorate. Gerrymandering by both parties (when in power) unnaturally biases election results.

I part with Mr. Parker on where I send my donations, but he makes a valid point that district voting (i.e., state districts) for Congressional delegates results in a different make up of the U.S. House than "at large" voting by the entire nation for this body would produce.

PTC Observer
PTC Observer's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/23/2007
Mr. Parker - Don't flatter

Don't flatter yourself, you don't have the intellect to rewrite the Constitution, this is due to the fact that you don't understand its original purpose or it's philosophical underpinnings.

Unfortunately, your fellow socialists have beat you to it in many instances and it is a mere shadow of its former self. Though, I am certain that you and your ilk will continue to chip away at it. The blind leading the blind I am afraid into a dreary and impoverished egalitarian democracy.

AtHomeGym
AtHomeGym's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/18/2007
Hey Parker, If you

want to adhere to the "will of the people", why not let the Legislature appoint Reps & Senators? Isn't the Legislature most certainly the "will of the people" via legimate elections? Or do you discount such elections?

G35 Dude
G35 Dude's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/15/2006
Hey Timmy- Question

So you approve of the job that congress is doing and want to replicate that here in Fayette County?

SPQR
SPQR's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/15/2007
Mr. Parker

Think about it and put aside paradigms. State wide congressional voting (no districts) coupled with term limits. Sounds scary but wonder what would actually happen?