Thursday, Mar. 5, 2015    Login | Register        

Space heater blamed for house fire

An unattended space heater near combustible material was blamed for a fire that damaged a home in north Fayette County early yesterday afternoon, officials have said.

No one was home at 160 West Lake Drive when the fire started, but a neighbor spotted it and called 911 just before 1 p.m. June 22, according to the Fayette County Department of Fire and Emergency Services.

When fire crews first arrived there was heavy smoke and fire coming from a basement window, officials said. The fire was extinguished and contained to the basement, but the upper level of the home had some smoke and heat damage from the blaze, officials said.

One firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion but was later released from Piedmont Fayette Hospital, officials said.

The department reminds residents to always shut off electrical heat devices when they are not in use, and also to avoid using combustible materials near space heaters.

Location: 

Comments

Cyclist's picture

Caution - The Surgeon General has determined that constant blogging is an addiction that can cause a sedentary life style.

Cyclist's picture

Caution - The Surgeon General has determined that constant blogging is an addiction that can cause a sedentary life style.

BHH's picture

pyramidman

Ad space area 4 internal

Sponsored Content

Opinion

I share a story with you today. In this story we hear God’s clear call to us and His clear promise for us. It’s not a true story, but a story with The Truth.

Community