Space heater blamed for house fire

Space heater blamed for house fire

An unattended space heater near combustible material was blamed for a fire that damaged a home in north Fayette County early yesterday afternoon, officials have said.

No one was home at 160 West Lake Drive when the fire started, but a neighbor spotted it and called 911 just before 1 p.m. June 22, according to the Fayette County Department of Fire and Emergency Services.

When fire crews first arrived there was heavy smoke and fire coming from a basement window, officials said. The fire was extinguished and contained to the basement, but the upper level of the home had some smoke and heat damage from the blaze, officials said.

One firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion but was later released from Piedmont Fayette Hospital, officials said.

The department reminds residents to always shut off electrical heat devices when they are not in use, and also to avoid using combustible materials near space heaters.

BHH
BHH's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/11/2011
Investigator's first question should have been.

Is your mortgage under water?

Cyclist
Cyclist's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/15/2007
A space heater in June????

Good gawd!!!!

roundabout
roundabout's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/01/2011
cyclist: heater

They are used for more things than heat for humans!

Drying out mold. drying clothes, (no dryer) drying paint or repairs, etc.

Has nothing to do with stupidity though!

Cyclist
Cyclist's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/15/2007
roundabout and the stupidity thingy

Leaving a space heater on in the summer about $10. Leaving it unattended nd near combustible material is.......well is priceless and not mention stupid. BTW, I see your high school class of 1936 was recently recognized. Congrats......you old goat. :-)

roundabout
roundabout's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/01/2011
Cyclist

Yes, I feel 93!
We didn't have space heaters, they were called fireplaces and quilts!

I think you misunderstood my comment about stupid. Yes the fire was caused by stupidity, but that has nothing to do with the use of a space heater safely.

Spyglass
Spyglass's picture
Online
Joined: 01/28/2008
Agreed...my AC has been screaming in pain...

I can't imagine needing any heat whatsoever.

Recent Comments