Fire kills S. Fayette man
A south Fayette man died Sunday, shortly after he was rescued from his burning home, county fire officials said.
Wilson Hightower, 67, was in the house when the first fire crew arrived at 165 Weldon Road at 7:18 a.m., said Lt. Donnie Davis of the Fayette County Department of Fire and Emergency Services.
At the time, there was heavy smoke and fire showing from the attic and Hightower’s wife, Denise, was in the front yard telling firefighters that her husband was still inside.
Firefighters immediately entered the home and rescued Mr. Hightower from a bedroom. He was transported to Piedmont Fayette Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.
Mrs. Hightower was also taken to Piedmont Fayette Hospital for a medical evaluation, officials said.
The fire was extinguished within 30 minutes, but the home was a total loss, Davis said.
It was determined that the fire began on the sofa “as a result of the improper disposal of smoking materials,” fire officials said in a news release.