PTC to vote on Sunday alcohol sales

Peachtree City residents this fall will get to vote on whether to allow package alcohol sales on Sunday between 12:30 and 11:30 p.m.

The City Council voted Thursday night to put the referendum on the ballot for the upcoming municipal elections. In doing so, the city will not be spending extra money on a special election for the referendum question.

The license fee for Sunday package sales would be $500 per location, which is the same fee charged to restaurants which hold licenses to sale alcohol by the drink on Sundays, city officials said.

If approved by voters, the city would be able to offer the Sunday package sales license to 23 retail package, convenience and grocery stores in the city.

If each were to file for a Sunday sales license, it would add $11,500 to the city’s bottom line.

For years, Georgia legislators have been able to resist calls for Sunday package sales. But advocates of the initiative broke through the legislature this year, winning passage of the bill, which allows individual communities to decide if they want Sunday package sales or not.

Joe Kawfi
Joe Kawfi's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/20/2009
Pardon my grammar

Should have said "done good".

secret squirrel
secret squirrel's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/26/2005
.

.

Joe Kawfi
Joe Kawfi's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/20/2009
Sunday sales

I'll vote against it.

kevink
kevink's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/07/2011
Wow! Look at the new *patriotic avatar.

"Now that peace prize winner has gone into a country unilaterally without the blessing of the UN and blown the head off of an unarmed man...."

And to think this jokeawfi was portraying Seals as murderers of an "unarmed man" just last week.

Curious, this is.

Observerofu
Observerofu's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/14/2010
Kevin you speaking of Cheney's Assassination Squad?

I was just wondering which group you were talking about.

Gort
Gort's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/28/2009
OofU, No way could Dick

OofU, No way could Dick Cheney run a ‘death squad.” He couldn’t even run the VP’s office without bringing dishonor to the office. Giving out the identity of a CIA agent and then pinning the tail on his donkey, Scooter Libby. Tsk, Tsk.

Did you see “Dick” at President Osama’s inauguration? He looked like Mr. Potter from Bedford Falls in that wheelchair! He probably pulled a muscle in his back while shredding his torture papers the night before. He was so proud of his work he doesn’t want anyone to see it.

Meanwhile, Dick Cheney runs his mouth about the merits of torture. He has allowed himself to become the “nattering nabob of negativism.” I’m hoping he follows a similar career path as Spiro Agnew did when he left the VP office.

I just have to wonder if they are collecting all Dick Cheney’s videos at “The Hague?” Who knows, maybe someday they may come in handy.

AtHomeGym
AtHomeGym's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/18/2007
Gort & Facts

Cheney was not the "leaker"--it was Richard Armitage, DepSecofState. Libby got prosecuted because the overzealous Special Prosecutor, even after knowing that Armitage was the culprit, continued to push to punish someone in the White House and Libby got convicted of lying, NOT disclosing Pflame's identity.

Gort
Gort's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/28/2009
AtHomeGym, Facts? Facts! We

AtHomeGym, Facts? Facts! We don’t need any stinking facts on “The Citizen!” But since you asked, the fact is Cheney, Libby, and Armitage were all involved the mess. Cheney was the ranking elected official so I hold him chiefly responsible. If you don’t get caught or someone covers for you don’t make you innocent. It just means he got away with it.

Observerofu
Observerofu's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/14/2010
So are you saying the Golf Oil Spill

was Obama's fault? After all he is the highest elected official and Government oversees the industry.

Gort
Gort's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/28/2009
OofU, what I said was, "No

OofU, what I said was, "No way could Dick Cheney run a ‘death squad.”

Cyclist
Cyclist's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/15/2007
Observerofu - and in the rough.

Perhaps that’s his "mulligan". Anyways, I seen where the annotated one was pandering for the illegal vote in El Paso. Gee, break the law and become a citizen. What a deal; eh?

Observerofu
Observerofu's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/14/2010
Cyclist-Arizona has decided to just do it

and build the wall themselves. I hope they paint very large signs that say:

"Free Government Money that way" <--- pointing to California.

Cyclist
Cyclist's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/15/2007
Observerofu

I see where the city that gave us Pelosi has decide not to inform Homeland Security of those arrested that are undocumented. Oh well, having been to Chula-Junana a few times I would say California is just about a lost cause. BTW, hello from Denver; where its almost as bad.

Joe Kawfi
Joe Kawfi's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/20/2009
Completely lost

....on those that didn't get the sarcasm of my post regarding the peace prize winner. But that's o.k. Kevin.

Bwwaaaahhahahahahahahahahaha

mudcat
mudcat's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/26/2005
Go ahead and vote no - be a minority - see how it feels

80-20 will vote in favor of this because it simply makes sense - unless of course you are a member of the morality police which would require me to lock up the liquor on Sunday, attend church, reject an abortion for any reason and for some reason oppose capital punishment for convicted killers. Vote all you want Joe. I guess you would have voted against allowing us to vote on this as well - had you been in the state legislature?

Joe Kawfi
Joe Kawfi's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/20/2009
PTC-O

This is just too easy! It's like shooting fish in a barrel! It is so easy to predict how the left will react to people of differing opinion - They go and start calling you names and make false accusations. They personalize it - Just like their mentor Saul Alinsky taught them.

PTC Observer
PTC Observer's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/23/2007
JoeK - Personal

Joe,

One that lives in a glass house shouldn't throw stones.

Just say'in

However, with that said your observation is correct, most of these "let's leave government alone to do its business" crowd have no new ideas. They are all conservatives that want to keep things as they are or worse throw more money at it.

Government is the only organization I know that is rewarded with more money for producing failure. We should begin dismantling the government starting right now. Our government was conceived to protect our freedoms not to take them from us.

Now for the name calling.

PTC Observer
PTC Observer's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/23/2007
Joe - What's your

rationale for this position?

Joe Kawfi
Joe Kawfi's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/20/2009
PTC-O

We've done fine without it up to this point, no point opening them now. It's one of the things that separates this community from others in a good way.

Spyglass
Spyglass's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/28/2008
I disagree...

We haven't done "fine". Dumb loss of tax revenue, IMHO.

secret squirrel
secret squirrel's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/26/2005
6 days fine; 7 days too much
Joe Kawfi wrote:

We've done fine without it up to this point, no point opening them now. It's one of the things that separates this community from others in a good way.

While I read with little more than empathetic amusement your right-wing rantings you do now realize that this position runs contrary to your free-market, anti-government interference, tea-party, enhance-the-economy, rhetoric? Or is your adherence to principle so myopic and headstrong that it forces you to simultaneously maintain incongruous positions?

Joe Kawfi
Joe Kawfi's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/20/2009
PTC-O

I'm really voting against it just to piss off the bed-wetting, effete, liberals. Case in point and victim #1 "secret squirrel".

secret squirrel
secret squirrel's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/26/2005
Too much Kawfi wets the bed
Joe Kawfi wrote:

I'm really voting against it just to piss off the bed-wetting, effete, liberals. Case in point and victim #1 "secret squirrel".

Really? That's the extent of your rationalization? Pretty sad motivation, especially since most of the effete liberals, and their free-market, conservative counterparts, probably give not so much as a damn about who you are, what you think, or what your silly motivations are.

Just a hunch. Run along now, I think I hear a black helicopter.

Joe Kawfi
Joe Kawfi's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/20/2009
He bit again!!

Aaahahahahahahahahahahaha - too funny watching these libs squirm.

mudcat
mudcat's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/26/2005
squirrel is actually a she, maybe a quasi lib. But look out, Joe

Be careful Joe, you vote against that likker thinginy on Sunday, your Kroger card will be coded and they will charge you extra for any alcohol you buy. They can do that. They can track your cell phone. They know where you are at all times. They can force you to take messages from the President. And they can make you an organ donor against your will - even if you are not dead. Yes, they can do that too - watch how they handle your driver's license at the polls. They know how you vote - they just look at that little yellow card after you leave.

Spyglass
Spyglass's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/28/2008
Why the 12:30 rule?

I don't get it. Baby steps I guess.

Maybe it was a crime the last time I was in Florida and bought a bottle of Champagne on Sunday AM to have some Mimosas beachside with our breakfast. Funny, we all lived to tell the tale.

Mike King
Mike King's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/29/2006
Spyglass

Perhaps it's the remnants of the 'Blue Law' that just won't go away.

Why didn't Council show leadership and just decide? Any 'no' vote would have been a one termer, I guess.

roundabout
roundabout's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/01/2011
MIKE & Squirrel

Of course PTC will pass Sunday sales of alcohol in all of the places who can't sell it now!

You see if the Governor of Georgia and the legislature had decided to make it legal without local approval, they may have all been defeated in their next election.

Doing it his way, allowing the locals to take the blame from the evangelicals, gets the state politicians off the hook! (hypocrisy)

There will be a few local votes that may not approve it the first time, but
by the second round when everyone around them has approved it, they will also next time to get the money.

This farce has been around for a hundred years. Especially in the south.

Few of the evangelicals will even vote at all as they also want the tax money but can't vote for it.

Adult Toy stores also can't be near or be open during church services as they do not use them.

AtHomeGym
AtHomeGym's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/18/2007
Mike & The Blue Law

Mike I don't think the Council has the authority to do it by decree--blv there must be a referendum. At least they made that decision--I call that progress!

Spyglass
Spyglass's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/28/2008
Our Council make a decision?

That's a good one right there.

Do they have the right to decide this? I haven't read that much into the Georgia law just signed.

secret squirrel
secret squirrel's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/26/2005
Sunday Sales
Spyglass wrote:

That's a good one right there.

Do they have the right to decide this? I haven't read that much into the Georgia law just signed.

No. The legislation only provides for municipalities or counties to hold referendums on the matter, putting the power to decide directly in the hands of the people. Which, in most recent cases, means less than 10% of actual citizens of PTC will decide the outcome.

Fair warning to the politicians: if you fail to support this, you lose any credibility in arguments about wanting to enhance and grow revenues and a tax-base here. A "no" vote sends money out of Peachtree City to the other communities who will no-doubt pass Sunday Sales.

I'd also warn others of listening to the religious pundits who rail against the free choices individuals can make while enjoying the favors of a political system which protects them. I eagerly anticipate the fire-and-brimstone rantings of the pulpit politicians regarding alcohol on Sunday while they pay nothing in either property or income tax.

Spyglass
Spyglass's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/28/2008
No doubt, the Fire and Brimstone

is coming. Should be good entertaining to say the least.

WakeUp
WakeUp's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/14/2006
Squirrel

How do you figure "...the fire-and-brimstone rantings of the pulpit politician regarding alcohol on Sunday while they pay nothing in either property or income tax."? If I get this right, these are individuals, who own homes and have jobs; hence they pay property tax and income tax.

secret squirrel
secret squirrel's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/26/2005
Church of Political Brimstone- tax free!
WakeUp wrote:

How do you figure "...the fire-and-brimstone rantings of the pulpit politician regarding alcohol on Sunday while they pay nothing in either property or income tax."? If I get this right, these are individuals, who own homes and have jobs; hence they pay property tax and income tax.

Your mistake is understandable. Religions pay no tax on the income they take from congregants/members and they pay no tax on property and assets they hold. All the while, they more and more overstep the line between political partisanism and the avoidance of taxes other businesses and groups have to pay. The resident front-page pulpit pundit for The Citizen has exemplified that routinely in his columns. There are exceptions, as when he counsels us in the ways of family values and other similar hypocrisies.

WakeUp
WakeUp's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/14/2006
Tax Free Church

I understand how you thought I made a mistake that was understandable. Never did you reference a church, but rather individuals. Individuals pay taxes. That was my point.

secret squirrel
secret squirrel's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/26/2005
Awake Up yet?
WakeUp wrote:

I understand how you thought I made a mistake that was understandable. Never did you reference a church, but rather individuals. Individuals pay taxes. That was my point.

Understandable to a point. In the context of the article and subsequent comments, most notably mine, it should be rather obvious we're not talking about individual people, especially since it's rather obvious individuals generally don't enjoy freedom from taxes.