PTC marks 31st annual Community Good Friday Service
Community prepares for Easter, Passover this week
The south side religious community — both Christians and Jews — are gearing up for a busy week since Holy Week and Easter as well as the beginning of the Jewish celebration of Passover occur in the same week. Christians’ Holy Week continues Wednesday through Sunday, culminating in Easter Sunday, April 8, celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Jewish Passover begins on Saturday, April 7, and continues through April 13.
Christian Holy Week ends the 40-day season of Lent which began on Ash Wednesday in February.
This Good Friday, April 6, will mark the 31st Annual Community Good Friday Service in Peachtree City. Several churches in Peachtree City have been gathering together for this joint service for more than 30 years.
The service will include a call to worship, prayers, familiar seasonal music, scripture, and several ministers giving brief meditations on The Seven Last Words from the cross.
This year’s clergy participants will come from Christ Our Shepherd Lutheran Church, All Saint’s Anglican Church, Southside Church, Peachtree City United Methodist Church, First Baptist Church, First Presbyterian Church, St. Christopher Hellenic Orthodox Church, Peachtree City Christian Church, and Christ the King Charismatic Episcopal Church.
An offering will be collected for the Fayette Samaritans. The host church will be Peachtree City Christian Church and the service will begin at noon.
In addition, the following have announced their religious events for the remainder of the week:
• All Saints Anglican Church will have a prayer vigil that will continue through 8:30 a.m. on Good Friday.
The Good Friday observance will be at 7 p.m. on April 6.
Morning prayer will be held at 9 a.m. on Holy Saturday, April 7, followed by Resurrection Egg Hunt/Family Picnic on the church grounds (Windgate Road and Peachtree Parkway)beginning at 11 a.m.
On Easter Sunday, April 8, Holy Communion services will be held at 8 and 10:30 a.m. All Saints Anglican Church is at 225 S. Peachtree Parkway, in Peachtree City. For more information call the office, 770-486-5374.
• Brooks Christian Church will host a community Easter Sunrise Service at Brooks Cemetery at 7 a.m. Following the sunrise service, breakfast will be served at Hardy Hall (Brooks Town Hall) at 8 a.m.
Bible School is offered at 10 a.m. and an Easter Worship Celebration will take place at 11 a.m. Brooks Christian Church is at the corner of Ga. Highway 85 Connector and Church Alley in downtown Brooks, just 4 miles south of Starr’s Mill. Go to the website, www.brookschristian.org, for more information.
• Carriage Lane Presbyterian Church will have a Good Friday Worship service on April 6 at 7 p.m.
The Easter Sunday service will be at 11 a.m. April 8.
Carriage Lane is at 101 Carriage Lane (Ga. Highway 54 at Carriage Lane) in Peachtree City.
• The Cathedral of Christ the King Charismatic Episcopal Church in Sharpsburg will continue Holy Week activities on Friday, April 6, as it will participate in the Community Good Friday Service at Peachtree City Christian Church at noon, Bishop David Epps, speaking and participating.
On Easter Sunday, April 8, services will be held at 8 and 10 a.m., Bishop David Epps, preaching. Holy Eucharist will be celebrated at both services.
Christ the King is at 4881 Ga. Hwy. 34 E., Sharpsburg.
• Christ Our Shepherd Lutheran Church’s Friday evening service will be at First Presbyterian Church, 206 Willowbend Road. The two churches have shared this service for a decade, alternating the location each year. Singers from both churches will form a combined choir with Dr. John Odom conducting, and Christ Our Shepherd will provide flutists.
Pastor Fritz Wiese will speak at the community Good Friday Service at noon at Peachtree City Christian Church. The annual Cross Walk will be at 4 p.m., with a group processing from the church to Picnic Park via golf cart paths, carrying three large crosses and singing. All are welcome to participate.
A Tenebrae Service, or service of darkness, is scheduled for 8 p.m. on Friday, April 6 at COS. Sanctuary Choir will sing portions of Mozart’s “Requiem,” accompanied by a chamber orchestra under the direction of James C. Hagberg. At the conclusion of this service the congregation will leave in silence and darkness. A prayer vigil will span the hours between the Tenebrae service and Easter morning, with volunteers spending an hour each at the church in guided meditation and prayer.
Easter Vigil will take place on Sat., Apr. 7, from 7-8 p.m. The service consists of seven scripture passages, presented with creativity, along with much music and Holy Communion.
Easter morning communion services will be at 8:30, 9:45, 10:50, and 11 a.m. GraceFlock worship at 10:50 features exciting music with a contemporary flair. Music at 8:30 will be by the COS Brass and organ. At 9:45, COS’ Flute Choir, Joyful Noise Ringers, and Sanctuary Choir will provide music. The final festal service of the morning at 11 a.m. features brass, handbells, and Sanctuary Choir.
All the sanctuary services will conclude with Handel’s “Hallelujah Chorus,” sung by all. Pastor Fritz Wiese will bring the Easter message. Childcare will be provided for children 3 years old or younger.
Christ Our Shepherd Lutheran is on the corner of Ga. Hwy. 54 and Peachtree Parkway in Peachtree City. For more information, call the church office, 770-487-8717.
• Congregation B’nai Israel, a Reform Jewish synagogue in Fayetteville, will celebrate Passover with a community seder at 6:30 p.m. Saturday, April 7, at the synagogue’s sanctuary on Ga. Highway 54 East near Corinth Road. The event will be open to all members of the community.
Costs per person are $25 for members, $30 for non-members, and $18 for persons age 10 and under. More information and a reservation form link may be found on line at www.bnai-israel.net. The service, which combines the Jewish liturgy for Passover with a catered traditional meal, will be led by Rabbi Ellen Nemhauser and by Susan Burden, the congregation’s cantorial soloist. It also will include festive songs and traditional stories.
The Seder is a ritual that retells the story of the liberation of the Israelites from slavery in ancient Egypt, as described in the Biblical book of Exodus. It marks the beginning of the Passover holiday, which is observed by Jewish people around the world.
More information on the Seder is available by telephoning the synagogue office, 678-817-7162.
• Dogwood Church will have Easter services at 4 and 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, April 7 and at 9:30 and 11 a.m. on Sunday, April 8.
Dogwood Church is on Ga. Hwy. 74 in Tyrone. For information, call 770-487-6691.
• The Episcopal Church of the Nativity in Fayetteville will hold special services every day during Holy Week, marking the close of the season of Lent and the beginning of the season of Easter.
The Good Friday service will include a play that will re-enact events described in the Passion Gospel in the book of John.
Noon prayers for Holy Saturday will be said at the church at noon on Saturday, April 7.
The Great Vigil of Easter will begin at 8:30 p.m. that day, including the lighting of the Paschal candle that will burn at all services from Easter through the Day of Pentecost.
Nativity will celebrate Easter Sunday with a festival service of Holy Eucharist at 10 a.m. April 8. An Easter Egg Hunt for children will begin on the church grounds at 11:15 a.m.
• Fayette Presbyterian Church in Fayetteville: The church office will be closed on Good Friday but the sanctuary will be open from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. and a liturgy provided for prayer. The labyrinth will also be available.
On Easter Sunday, April 8, an Awakening Service will be held at 8:30 a.m. and a Liturgical Service at 11 a.m.
Fayette Presbyterian Church is at 791 Forest Avenue (Ga. Highway 92 N.), Fayetteville.
• Fayetteville First United Methodist Church: On Good Friday, April 6, the choir will present music and meditations based on the seven last words of Christ beginning at 7 p.m.
Easter Sunday worship services are at 8:30, 9:45 and 11 a.m. Sunday School for all ages starts at 9:45. The church is at 175 East Lanier Ave., Fayetteville, For information, call 770-461-4313.
• First Baptist Church Peachtree City invites the community to worship with them on Easter Sunday. Services will be held at 8, 9:30, and 11 a.m. Free preschool care and activities will be offered for children birth to 4 years old during the 9:30 and 11 a.m. services.
A special children’s worship celebration for children kindergarten – fifth grades will be held across the street at The Bridge Community Center at 9:30 and 11 a.m. There is no childcare during the 8 a.m. service.
First Baptist is at 208 Willowbend Rd off of Ga. Highway 54. For more information, visit www.fbcptc.org or call 770.487.8133.
• The First Christian Church of Tyrone: On Saturday, April 7, the Easter Egg Eggstravaganza will be staged from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
On Sunday, April 8, the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ will begin with Sunrise Service at 7 a.m. outdoors, weather permitting. A church-wide breakfast follows at 8:15. Sunday School classes will meet at 9:30 a.m. and worship services will celebrate Jesus at 10:30.
The church is at 294 Jenkins Road.
• First Presbyterian Church, Peachtree City: On Good Friday, members will celebrate in the Community Good Friday service at Peachtree City Christian at noon.
Easter Sunday worship services will be at 8:30, 10:45 (contemporary) and 11 a.m. (traditional service.) The church is at 206 Willowbend Rd.
• Grace Baptist Church in Fayetteville will present Southern gospel artists “The Foresters” in a free breakfast concert at 10 a.m. Easter Sunday morning.
Regular morning worship will follow at 11 a.m. featuring special music. The Foresters will perform again at 6 p.m. that evening.
Grace Baptist is at 1810 Ga. Hwy. 85 South, in Fayetteville. For more information, call 770-461-5511 or visit www.gracebaptistfayetteville.com.
• Inman United Methodist Church, 151 Hills Bridge Road, Fayetteville: The church will host an Easter Sunrise Service in the church cemetery beginning at 7:15 a.m. on Sunday, April 8.
The United Methodist Men will serve breakfast in the church Fellowship Hall following the Sunrise Service.
Regular services will be held in the sanctuary at 8:45 and 11 a.m. For additional information or directions, contact the church office at 770 461-2123.
• National Heights Baptist Church: On Saturday, April 7, the church will host a Car Show/Egg Hunt/Cake Walk and more, from 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. with the egg hunt at noon. All are welcome.
Easter Sunday service will be held at 10:55 a.m. Childcare will be available.
National Heights is at Ga. Highway 54 West and Old Norton Road. For further information, call the church office before noon, 770-461-1704.
• New Hope Baptist Church will have Easter worship services at the North Campus at 8 and 10:55 a.m. and at the South Campus at 9:15 a.m. For more information, call 770-461-4337.
• Peachtree City United Methodist Church, 225 Robinson Rd. in Peachtree City: On Good Friday, April 6, PTCUMC will join the Community Service at Peachtree City Christian Church at noon.
On Easter Sunday, April 8, worship services will be held at 8, 9:30 and 11 a.m. The orchestra will play at all three services and the choir will present “The Hallelujah Chorus!” Childcare will be available at 9:30 and 11 a.m. for children ages birth to pre-K. The church is at 225 Robinson Rd. in Peachtree City.
• Prince of Peace Lutheran Church will feature several activities on Easter Sunday, starting with an outdoor Sunrise Service at 7:30 a.m. A contemporary service will follow at 9:15 a.m. and the children will enjoy an Easter Egg Hunt at 10:50 a.m. The pipe organ service will be at 11:15 a.m. Prince of Peace is located on Ga. Highway 314 between Lowe’s and The Pavilion in Fayetteville.
• Providence United Methodist Church: Easter Sunday celebration includes an Easter Egg hunt for children at 9, 10, and 11:11 a.m. Contemporary services at 9 and 11:11 a.m. include praise and worship music led by Soularize band and a message from senior pastor Warren Huddleston. Traditional worship at 10 a.m. includes choir, traditional Methodist hymns and liturgy, and a sermon by Huddleston.
Providence is at 592 Bernhard Road, Fayetteville between Ga. Highway 85 and Redwine Road. Go to www.provumc.com for info or call the church office, 770-719-8800.
• Senoia United Methodist Church: An Easter Egg Hunt for children ages pre-K through fifth grade will be held Saturday, April 7, at 2 p.m. at the church.
On Easter Sunday, a Sunrise Service will be held at 7 a.m. at Merimac Lake Park. No Sunday School classes will be held on Easter Sunday.
At 9:30 a.m., a potluck Easter breakfast will be held in the church fellowship hall. Those attending are requested to bring their favorite breakfast dishes.
Easter worship will be held at 10:55 a.m. in the church sanctuary. The church is on the corner of Bridge and Seavy streets in Senoia. For information, visit the website, www.senoiaumc.org.
• St. Andrew’s in the Pines Episcopal Church, 316 North Peachtree Parkway in Peachtree City, announces the following schedule of services for Holy Week.
A Good Friday service will be held at noon (Good Friday Liturgy) on April 6.
On Holy Saturday there will be no service, just a quiet workday on the parish grounds and within the nave beginning at 9 a.m.
On Easter Sunday, a service will be held at at 8 a.m. with Holy Eucharist Rite I at 10 a.m. and Holy Eucharist Rite II. An Easter Egg Hunt will follow the 10 a.m. service.
For more information, call the church, 770-487-8415.
• St. Mary Magdalene Catholic Church: On Good Friday, April 6, a Scriptural Rosary will be said at 10:30 a.m., Stations of the Cross will be observed at 3 p.m. and a Celebration of the Lord’s Passion will be at 7 p.m.
On Holy Saturday, April 7, an Easter Vigil Mass will be celebrated at 8:30 a.m.
On Easter Sunday, April 8, Masses will be celebrated at 9, 10:30 a.m. (Children’s Mass) and at noon. ASL for the deaf and nursery are available at the 9 a.m. Mass.
St Mary Magdalene is at 3 Village Rd., off Ga. Highway 154 and Ebenezer Road near the new library in Coweta County. For information, call 770-253-1888 or visit www.smmcatholic.org.
• St. Paul Lutheran Church in Peachtree City: Two services will be held on Good Friday: one at noon and a Good Friday Tenebrae service at 7 p.m.
An Easter Egg Hunt will be held for the children at 10 a.m. on Saturday, April 7.
An Easter Sunrise Service will be held at 7 a.m. on April 8, outside, weather permitting, followed by an Easter breakfast at 8:15. The annual congregational Easter photo will be taken at 9:40 a.m.
A combined Festival Easter Service will be held at 10 a.m.
St. Paul Lutheran Church is at 700 Ardenlee Parkway, Peachtree City. For information, call 770-487-0339.
• Word of God Lutheran Church in Peachtree City will continue Holy Week activities with the Good Friday service April 6 at 7 p.m
Easter Sunday service will be at 9:30 a.m. and will feature Holy Communion.
Word of God Lutheran meets at 303 Kelly Dr. Suite 10, in Peachtree City. For information, call 770-897-4508.