Newnan Youth Council visits Gov. Perdue at capitol
The Newnan Youth Council (NYC) recently got a taste of Georgia state politics during their visit to the State Capitol. The Youth Council had the chance to visit with Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue and also Lt Governor Casey Cagle. The youth were invited to have lunch with State Representative Lynn Smith, State Representative Billy Horne and State Senator Mitch Seabaugh during their field trip to the Capitol.
One of the NYC members, Morgan Chandler, was fortunate enough to be asked to go down on the floor with State Senator Seabaugh while the Senate was in session. Senator Seabaugh had a bill that he was presenting and made an acknowledgment of the NYC’s presence at the Capitol that day. The NYC also attended a Children and Youth House Committee Meeting where they were discussing a number of topics including, the number of school days, pre-school, Peachcare Insurance, budget cuts, and high school programs at risk for being cut.
“Representative Smith, Representative Horne, and Senator Seabaugh and their staff went above and beyond the call of duty to make us feel welcome and important throughout the day,” said Jamey Keith, a Newnan Youth Activities Commission member. “This was a great experience for all of our Youth Council members. Hopefully, they will remember it for years to come.”
The purpose of the Newnan Youth Council is to provide a means for the high school youth of Newnan and Coweta County to learn about government, participate in the process, and to represent and articulate the needs of the community’s youth. The overall purpose, based on the expressed need for youth programs, activities, events, continuing education, and youth involvement in community and governmental activities within the City of Newnan, is:
• To build leadership experience and civic responsibility that will benefit each member’s academic record and enhance their competitiveness in higher educational endeavors.
• To create a climate of public awareness and responsibility for meeting the needs and concerns of the City’s youth.
• To assist the citizens and youth in the City to understand effective communication, appreciate differences within the City’s youth, and be involved with community issues.
• To promote youth involvement in government and civic duties to become productive citizens in the future.
• To provide the means by which the City’s youth can be heard from and included in government.
• To plan, sponsor, and coordinate appropriate youth programs, activities, and events in the City of Newnan.