F’ville to sign streetlight pact?

An intergovernmental agreement between Fayetteville and the Ga. Dept. of Transportation (DOT) for lighting for the upcoming streetscape project that will add sidewalks and other features to both sides of Stonewall Avenue from Braxton Court to Ga. Highway 85 will be up for a vote Feb. 20 by the Fayetteville City Council.

The intergovernmental agreement addresses the need for 20 street lights to be located along Stonewall Avenue from Tiger Trail to Hwy. 85 in downtown Fayetteville.

The 50-year agreement outlines the maintenance and responsibilities of the parties. The agreement calls for the city to install, power and maintain the streetlights while holding the state harmless for any liability.

The installation of streetlights is only a part of a federally-funded streetscape project on the north and south sides of Stonewall Avenue that connects Braxton Court to the downtown area and that will add sidewalks, landscaping and historic-looking streetlights.

Fayetteville Public Services Director Chris Hindman previously said the purpose of the project is to fill in the gap in the Stonewall Avenue sidewalk network between Braxton Court through the city cemetery and to tie the existing network to downtown.

Work will be performed to enhance the existing sidewalk networks on the north and south sides of Stonewall through the use of concrete brick pavers, benches, additional landscaping such as crape myrtles and trash receptacles. Decorative aluminum fencing with brick columns will be installed in front of the cemetery property, Hindman said.

Hindman said the new decorative street lights will be installed in an effort to enhance the walkability of Stonewall Avenue.

Brick paver sidewalks along Stonewall Avenue will range from 5-8 feet while the landscape strip between the sidewalk and roadway will be 2-4 feet in width.

With a price tag totaling $304,834, the project carries 80 percent funding by the Federal Transportation Enhancement program with the remaining 20 percent match totaling $60,967 coming from the use of local SPLOST (special purpose local option sales tax) and/or cemetery trust funds.

The sidewalk project is similar in design to the Lanier Avenue streetscape improvements constructed in 2007. The project completion date is expected Dec. 31 depending on the project start date and weather conditions.

Recent Comments