Family escapes New Year’s Eve fire, but Fayetteville home badly damaged

A New Year’s Eve fire at a residence on Pleasant Point Way east of Fayetteville resulted in no significant injuries to occupants. Multiple fire units fought the early morning blaze that caused significant damage to home and its contents.

None of the four occupants in the home at the time of the fire was injured, though one child was evaluated at the scene for possible smoke inhalation, according to Fayette County Fire and Emergency Services Capt. Pete Nelms.

Nelms said the alarm call was received at 3:31 a.m., with the first unit arriving on the scene at 3:37 a.m. to find heavy black smoke with a portion of the house fully involved and fire venting through the roof. Multiple units from Fayette County, assisted by those from Fayetteville, brought the fire under control at 4:18 a.m., Nelms said.

Nelms said the homeowner told firefighters that he was awakened by his smoke detector and then found his Christmas tree smoking. Three occupants were on the first floor with another in the basement, Nelms said. All four occupants were evacuated safely, Nelms added.

The cause of the fire was thoroughly investigated, Nelms said, and was found to be from a spark from the fireplace that struck the Christmas tree that was in close proximity to the fireplace.

The damage to the home and its contents was substantial, Nelms said, with initial losses estimated at $100,000.

Lt. Col. Robert Glaze, with the Fayette County Sheriff’s Office, said a fund has been established to assist the family. The account at Delta Community Credit Union is listed under the name of Wyndolyn Moulder.